Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 - V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Casati

Be great to see hatchback Model 3 ‘Golf’ size and indeed also continue with the saloon bodyshape as an alternative option as it’s still v popular.

I think Tesla are betting on SUV’s having reached peak market saturation.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭DrPsychia

They will sell more if they drop the price further

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Rumours are a 15% further price drop. That would make a €42k Model 3, a €36k Model 3 here. That's insanely cheap for what you get. More range too and if it has the M3P battery chemistry, there is no reason to throttle the acceleration as much as Tesla have done with the current Model 3 RWD and Model Y RWD, making them very slow from zero.

That link from @LeeroyJ. makes it pretty convincing the car in the pic is just a Model S plaid. Lots of wishful thinking it is a Model 3 Highland all around 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

If the new M3is a hatch, I would consider changing my 222 rwd....maybe even go for the P 😁

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

@mfceiling finally you can see the times on the player. you need to raise the player to see this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I knew this would be one mod @mfceiling would be happy with 😂😂

Post edited by Gumbo on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Thank you so much!! No more guessing how far the black line has moved 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭wassie

Another first world problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭td2008

Boot strut broke and damaged the glass :( Happen to anybody else?

Also, when I try book a service in the app Dublin doesn't show. Any issues going to Belfast with a ROI car?

Dublin is going through renovations at the moment. Belfast or cork is where all cars are being sent now so no problem picking one of them if it’s handy for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

The latest chitchat from China, according to Spanish source (https://forococheselectricos.com/2023/08/ventas-del-nuevo-tesla-model-3-comenzaran-manana-1-de-septiembre.html), is that M3 Highland will go on sale tomorrow in China. Perhaps just more blather, but rumour is HW3.5 with 12 cameras and no radar. Perhaps a few weeks later, our Irish beta-testers will be ordering their re-refresh M3 for delivery later this year or early 2024, but I doubt there will be many teething problems since the change is quite incremental.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Well then…..

Project highland is official Tesla has announced on X 

https://www.tesla.com/nl_nl/model3/design

Currently seems to only be available in mainland Europe Irish site hasn’t changed .

Here is a list of everything new in the refreshed Model 3:

• Range has increases ~12%

• 50% of the parts in the car are new

• Redesigned interior with new door cards

• More premium interior materials. The fabric is softer to the touch and sewn with a more refined process to present a better overall texture

• Two new colors: Ultra Red & Stealth Gray

• No more stalks. New steering wheel contains the turns signals, light controls, horn, new camera button, wiper controls and mic control

• New dash design with textured/woven material

• Multicolor ambient LED interior lighting extending from dash to rear seat doors

• Updated center console with real metal handles, giving a more premium feel.

• 30% decrease in wind and ambient noise, 25% improvement in impact noise and 20% improvement in road noise

• Acoustic glass on rear windows and back window (was only on front windows before). "360º acoustic glass"

• More sound insulation for a quieter ride

• Uptick in hood to let wind go over more quietly

• Upgraded suspension for a more premium ride. New springs & dampers. New geometry on front suspension. New bushings. New way they mount the sub frame to the chassis

• Stiffer body

• More premium sounding door "thunk"

• Two motors close the trunk now vs one before, resulting in a quieter automatic close

• Tires have more cushioning for improved ride

• Center touchscreen now brighter, has smaller bezels, higher contrast & is more responsive

• More comfortable rear seats

• Redesigned lower rear bumper

• All seats are now perforated

• No fog lights anymore

• Front seats are now ventilated, in additional to heated

• 8" touchscreen for rear passengers in the back to control climate & enjoy entertainment. You can connect two headsets at the same time.

• New Model 3 is the most aerodynamic Tesla ever. Drag coefficient is 0.219 Cd

• Upgraded 2.0 ventilation system. You can now separately turn off the passenger side air

• Slimmer and sleeker headlight and taillight design

• New speaker bar in the roof

• New 17 speaker sound system (up from 14 before). It now includes 2 subwoofers, and 2 amplifiers. More punchy.

• 65W USB-C charger in center console so you can charge a laptop.

• Improved bluetooth

• Upgraded microphones. Now one on each passenger side. New mics make phone calls clearer and "smooth"

• Improved Wifi connectivity

• improved connectivity to phone so car will recognize your phone from farther away

• Two new wheel designs that optimize battery life

• Front bumper camera (maybe?)

• New Tesla lettering replaces rear Tesla logo badge

• Car is 8% more efficient thanks to better aerodynamics

• Car is lighter than before

• Working on new Performance Model 3

Post edited by AndyBoBandy on

A lot of really good general improvements all round for my liking. Interesting no change to the battery or motor.

• Stalkless design - I could get used to that. Although not good for anyone with mobility issues with their hands (particularly their thumbs).
    • Noise reductions - Always better to have a quieter car
    • Tyres - Hankooks fitted as OEM. Big win for that company.
    • Rear touchscreen - Great. Although could be a plus or minus if you have young kids!
    • No hatchback (although I think we all suspected that anyway),

The fact the UK wont have it till next year probably means no the same for us.

Some big decisions for buyers now - take the reductions on the table or wait for a new model. And we know how that goes with Tesla.

I'm on the fence about this. I really like the new design, interior updates and increased range but the stalkless design is a huge negative for me. Why change something that worked so well?

I hope BYD come in strong with the pricing for the Seal to undercut the model 3 by a nice margin and force Tesla to reduce their prices accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Because it’s cheaper to manufacture. Same with the USS. I really do think we’re at the point where there needs to be legislation to cover defined and universal controls for cars. It’s profit margins ahead of safety. Signalling on roundabout is poor enough as it stands here and this (which I don’t think they’ve thought about at all) will only add to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

A lot of positives there in terms of refinement and features, bar the loss of the fog lights and stalks (but we'll see how that works out). There are a few design features I am not keen on:

1) Letters on the back instead of the minimalist logo. Volvo started this fad of wide-spaced letters around 2010 and I had hoped the T would be above that.... I always thought it crass, like those DG and FCUK logos. We've seen people stick after-market ones on, which I guess is a sign of expansion of the brand to the masses and their bling bling tastes.

2) The front bumper, while more aerodynamic, is too plain compared to the personality of the pre-Highland Model 3. It reminds me of the revised Kona EV with that big plain line - too much solid and not enough void or contours.

The interior, in general, looks solid. Perhaps the general trend is the car improving but also becoming more generic, even like in terms of limiting the top speed. Getting very sensible, aren't we!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

Generally I am positive re the changes. Would have to try the indicators before deciding, at first glance I do not like. But then again I did not like the big centre screen until I had used for about 10 minutes..🙂

At least the wiper controls look to be now at right on wheel rather than on left stalk which took a bit of getting used to in relation to most other cars.

Think the car looks a little happier now, slight smile on the front rather than a frown..😊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

One more change I noticed: The top speed has been reduced to 201 km/h from 225/235 (RWD/AWD).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

WLTP in the RWD has now jumped to 513km (previously it was 491km and estimated (non WLTP) to be 511km with the aero caps on)

Now the estimated range (non WLTP) with the aero caps is a staggering 554km!! thats a full 145km more than my own cars WLTP range of 409km... and just 6km off the original LR's range of 560km (and 24km more than the original P's range of 530km...)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭McGiver

Seems excellent! Much better car (if we leave out the controversial stalks).

But I'm missing the ability to tilt the screen. That's the only thing I really dislike in the Model 3.

I've seen a fella who got it fitted aftermarket into the Model Y. To me, this isn't a premium but a basic design thing. I've very long hands but trying to reach out to the screen is sometimes a challenge for me too. And while driving in Europe with a massive sunlight backlight, the screen had sometimes massive glare and I couldn't see much on it. Titling would solve both issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Josieg

Carwow first look video of the new updated M3: https://youtu.be/gQ6zIHHMlSs

And while driving in Europe with a massive sunlight backlight, the screen had sometimes massive glare and I couldn't see much on it.

I installed a matte finish screen protector for that very reason. Did the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Casati

Matt was fast getting his hands on one to review and it looks good, hard to see anything that isnt an improvement especially the improved range. Indicators on the wheel might be a genius idea that all ither manufactures will copy in time- certain not a reason not to buy one

I like the changes. Like an LCI in bmw terms. Nothing major but tweets here and there but watching carwow review, Matt seems very positive about the changes.

3 things for me ;

1. Why no rear tints?
    2. I’m not mad on the 19” wheels.
    3. Stalks for indicators, i for one am on with it as I’ve tried it before in the Model S but, I do see the fear of them as in, imagine telling your parents there’s no stalk. Will Tesla remove alot of potential buyers with this? Maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Trying to click a button on the steering wheel when indicating around and off a roundabout seems really awkward but the only way to tell will be to try it. They definitely are only thinking about Americans who don't have to navigate roundabouts.

I really like the look of it though. Will it be priced similar to the current one or come in at the higher prices do people reckon?

I seen posts of a 12% increase in China. Could be BS though.

No separate capacitive buttons for drive selector like on the Model S. All screen swipe for forward or reverse or the smart function that gives its best guess which direction you want to drive. Can't wait to have a demo drive for the experience though.

Post edited by DrPsychia on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Besides the indicators on the steering wheel (stupid in my opinion), I'd be more worried about the gear selector on the screen.

I've got into my own car a few times and the screen has stayed black and unresponsive. Not great if you are looking to get going in a hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭sk8board

The stalkless thing isn’t going to work in Europe, roundabouts etc, just like the yoke hasn’t. Turning the wheel while also pressing a moving button to indicate or change indicator direction just isn’t feasible long term, no matter how blinkered you are to it.

it’ll be very interesting to see what happens to M3 sales here and the UK between now and the arrival of the updated car (probably about a year?) - the simple answer is they’ll be dead in the water without a big price cut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭sk8board

as an aside - would be interested to hear if someone had a 201-D grey M3P reported stolen on any of the FB groups. There can’t be many of them - there was one being driven like it was stolen easily over 100mph between swords and balbriggan on the old N1, passing lines of cars, trucks, tractors and everything else, on double white lines, all in 60 or 80 zones, school zones, around every bend, in constant oncoming traffic etc.

I’d say there’s no way this was owner-driven like that in normal Friday evening traffic.

Advertisement