Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Get in there!

Nunez wins it surely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,290 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

and liverpool win it at the death!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DAngelo Bailey

Credit to Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Haha delighted for Newcastle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭mobydopy

Wow , 2 unbelievable finishes from Nunez

• Advertisement

Hah. Disgrace from Newcastle.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

2 great finishes.

Newcastle can only blame themselves.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Darwin masterclass. Two great finishes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Very quiet all of a sudden in Newcastle.

Well well well.

Enjoyed that 😆

• Advertisement

Howe should be sacked for that

Eddie Howe won't last the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Two great finishes, Newcastle shocking in the laat 30 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,290 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

they had a great opportunity to go 2 up, but barnes got try line fever rather than squaring the ball, but shocking is fair the last 30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Nunez with two quality finishes. Hard to feel sorry for Newcastle there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Kind of felt the praise last year went far, as good as the season was. He won't be the person to bring them much success

Klopp schooled Howe. Howe is not a top manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

I would expect him to lose his head in the dressing room!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

As soon as I had it typed he scored. He might prove lots of us wrong yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭billyhead

Watching the netflix documentary he doesn't seem the type to give the hairdryer treatment.

Bad start for Newcastle, they’d have been a shoe in for 6/9 after 30 mins. Now it’s 3/9. Could be a real launch for Liverpool to get top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I think this game shows why Man City will probably win the league very easily again.

Newcastle 11 v 10 and they were mostly playing to keep the 1-0. City is usually relentless and won't let a game like this get away from them.

I'm very happy that they were punished, their game has taken a page from the City/Guardiola book: this annoying cynical, passive aggressiveness that allows them to get away with stuff.

Well done to Liverpool!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,466 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Klopp should really be starting Nunez.

Liverpool were second best for the majority of that game, ten men doesn't help but even still they've gotten away with it today much like United did yesterday.

Newcastle will learn a lesson from that, talk of Howe getting sacked and not being up to he job are nonsense, he's more likely to push City than Liverpool, Arsenal or United this season.

Glazers Out!

After 3 games? Suppose West ham have launched themselves as title contenders too?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Actually, we've seen players being carded this season for asking for others players to be booked after committing a foul.

Why were Gordon, Trippier and a couple other Newcastle players not booked for asking for Trent to be sent off?

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There's still quite a lot of inconsistency. City were allowed waste time endlessly despite the new rules.

Arsenal last week had 2 players do the imaginary card, Gibbs White yesterday too.

Today, brooks could've been carding players on both sides as they were both giving him an earful.

Trippier didn't get a booking either for delaying game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭chicorytip

The brilliant attacking play of Newcastle is being undermined by poor defending. If Botman, Burn, Schar and Pope are first choices with only Lascelles on the bench you're in trouble against the top sides.

Howe must realise this and it's strange no defensive signings have been made during the window. He could be out of a job by Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Will Eddie Howe last the season?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭Xander10

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Yeah and they picked up Lewis Hall last week too on loan with an obligation to buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Newcastle had one of the best defensive records last year. Pope was in the top three goalkeepers and Burn and Botman were in a lot of teams of the season last year.

Edit: quoted the wrong person.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Mod: link to subscription removed. The company can contact boards if it wants to advertise on the site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

despite the fact I still think it's less a foul than is a foul, after reflection, and probably with the help of Liverpool actually winning the game, this is probably the correct take.

VVD gave the ref a decision to make. VAR couldn't change it, but if the ref hadn't seen it, it wouldn't have been brought back.

Howe schooled himself.

Klopp revealed everything in the post-match. all his team could do was stay compact, fight, hang in there, and hope to last long enough to do the changes he did in the last 15. that's all any 10 man team can do. and then they got sucker punched.

Howe seemed to decide to slow things down, take it easy, and play the game out. for everything Newcastle are good at - patient, slow football is not one of the things they are good at. they can't pick you apart. they try to outrun you and blast you off the pitch - basically Klopp pre-2019.

Newcastle, obviously, had to just keep the pace up. and they didn't.

people will cop on to Newcastle. just don't give them anything to run and counter on - same as how Klopp had to evolve, Howe will have to, or else he'll be gone.

Yeah I think that sums it up well. I think there was a bit of a small club mentality from Newcastle almost afraid to go and finish the game off and by sitting back and trying to kill the game they gave Liverpool encouragement.

There was an element of bad luck as well as I saw somewhere that Nunez's XG from those 2 shots was 0.02 I.e he had a 2% of scoring both.

The great coaches like Klopp can adapt and change their philosophy and style it remains to be seen if Howe can do that. Newcastle are very rigid and the subs he made yesterday were pre planned IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I dont see how it's not a foul. He gets the ball by going through isaaks legs, sweeping them up as he gets the ball. It's clearly man first.

it's not actually that clear. hence most people online or anywhere else needed multiple looks at it. from what I can see, he touches the leg, and he then gets the ball. he doesn't go 'through him' or any of the other hyperbole that I've seen. so while it probably is a foul on multiple replays, I really don't think it's that clear.

it's not a hill I'm dying on, but I can guarantee you a similar tackle will happen soon and a referee will make a different decision.

put it this way ... if the ref doesn't give the red, I don't think he's told to go to VAR to change his decision.

• Advertisement

That's mainly because var doesn't get involved for fouls and the red card could be argued possibly a bit.

If it happens in the box and the ref misses it var are given a peno most of the time absolutely, you can't tackle through someone and then get the ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Genuinely don't know how you can look at the second angle here abd not see vvd comes though issaks right leg, to get to the ball

I don't see any justification for that not being a foul.

The dirtiness of it or not is not in question though. Once it's a foul the decision is whether it then denies a goal scoring opportunity. Maybe that is questionable. Fwiw I thought the red forest got was harsh cause I'm not convinced Bruno gets there..

Be interesting to see how Newcastle and arsenal fare this season with cl football. Liverpool too with playing on Thursday. Can't see anyone challenging City at this stage whom I also see dropping points. Are Spurs in Europe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭Xander10

No , villa beat them to the conference league place

and fwiw, the VVD thing really isn't a hill I'm dying on because if he was at his proper levels of performance, he never tries to make the tackle, and Isak gets shepherded to the side of the box. but he's second guessing himself more than he's ever done.

VVD made a mistake. i just genuinely don't think it was in any way malicious (I know that doesn't necessarily make a huge difference), so I feel it's a little harsh. i think he genuinely felt that he barely touched him , and I think he genuinely thought he got the ball as he tackled him.

i think Newcastle will go well in the Champions League actually, but their league form will suffer. I think their style will catch some good teams out in that competition. i can see them making the next round.

with Arsenal, i think Arteta will struggle to maintain a similar league challenge to last season. he played the same team into the ground, and he's already struggling this season to implement a few different ways to play with different players. i think Arsenal will get top 4 and get to at least the knockouts in the CL, but they'll fall off a bit.

I genuinely think it'll need a miraculous Liverpool run to challenge City. a lot of the players have juggled competitions many times, and many of them won't actually see the Europa League unless we make it to the final stages. having said that, I don't think Liverpool actually will properly challenge City as they're just too short in certain areas.

Ah it's as clear as day. He trips him first. It's one of the most straightforward decisions likely to be given this season and people saying it's possibly wrong shows the refs can't win

Yup, their defence was the reason they did so well last year. Let's be honest, theyre the width of a post and a Harvey Barnes slide pass away from that .atch being 2-0 or 3-0. If Gordon was still on, Wilson is being set up with a tap in.

After that, they seemed to just stop playing and protect the lead which is fine, but even with 10 men and their dysfunction the last year or so, Liverpool still have Salah, Jota, Nunez on the pitch who can all carve teams open

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭McFly85

I agree it was a red, but when you say “the refs can’t win”, a lot of that is brought upon themselves.

These decisions are endlessly debated in part because there is usually a similar challenge that doesn’t get the same result.

We’ve already seen red cards and penalties given in one game and not given in another in a similar set of circumstances.

When there is zero transparency around decisions on the pitch or in VAR, this will continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

This timewasting clampdown enforcement is not really going well so far is it?

While I am all for it, and booking players for blatant timewasting, the referees need to know the rules and enforce them. Not just doing a yellow card at random points for some breaks in play and not others. Then saying it's timewasting when it's not in other cases.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement