Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

They aren’t drawing water and simultaneously pumping waste directly into watercourses. A non story getting wind from nobody’s. “Coast watch”

a cranky aul bag.

Right2Know don't typically take any position regarding agri. They just challenge on access to govt data which should be in the open. They've a long list of challenges down through the years on a wide variety of topics (justice, environmental, spending, health etc)

They are all horticulture. It will also burst their bubble to know that these are enterprises that spread multitudes more chemicals and chemical fertilisers in soil type far more prone to leeching and run off than dairy pasture.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭Shoog

Politician always run cover for the agri-sector. This sort of redacting of inconvenient data is the norm.

Takes a lot of water to produce milk. Not just in drinking but also in the various washings.

• Advertisement

Intensive farming of all types is environmentally polluting. Tillage and horticulture gets no free pass from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,124 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I didn`t. I pointed out that according to the same EPA agriculture wasn`t the only source, and that 75% sewage is urban where 49% of it was not being treated to E.U. mandatory standards, that 7.5 million litres of raw untreated sewage is being pumped into seas and waterways daily and that there were a large number of treatment plants borderline when it came to mandatory E.U. standards with there being no plans or timetables to do anything about that. All those are the responsibility of the Irish governments utility company, but I don`t see you calling on the government to stop that pollution of water, or concen for industrial pollution of the same.

@roosterman71 has pointed out, (and not for the first time), that your "reality" that the worst water quality indicators track beef and dairy agriculture clustered around the Golden Vale and Midlands is incorrect.

But then none of of that suits your anti beef and dairy agriculture agenda. And where are you getting this "a few hundred thousand farmers" polluting when there are only 135,000 farms in the country ?

I don`t see what your point is on export earning. All countries export to provide employment and help their economies. Are we back to this idea that we are somehow living in our own little biosphere here ?

But then when it suits that is Irish green thinking on cattle. Unless that is you can be the first to give a coherent logical reason for culling over 1 million cattle numbers here, while Brazil alone is increasing theirs by 24 million to supply, by export, world demand.

At least it is going towards producing something. Unlike the 590 million litres of treated water that is leaking from Irish Water`s mains daily.

So what are you eating that everyone else isn’t?

I don't have much choice - but that not condoning the system that produces it.

• Advertisement

You keep saying raw untreated municipal sewage - but that's not what is been discharged by treatment plants. Some is attributable to storm surges where the incoming water is diverted away from the treatment plant rather than letting it flush out the raw untreated sewage. Much of the rest is treated to secondary level which represents mostly treated sewage with the final polish phase missing. There are occasional discharges of raw sewage when treatment plants break down or are mismanaged by the operative but this would represent the minority of cases. There are legacy plants with minimal treatment but Irish water is now upgrading them and they are been brought up to standard.

So your hyperbolic statement of raw untreated sewage been routinely discharged by miniciple authorities is pure exaggeration for effect. I worked in the water industry and let it be said that every unjustified discharge of effluent comes with a financial penalty to the private operator who runs the plants so they do nothing routinely to incure penalties.

As for your comments regarding leakage of drinking water - again Irish water is addressing the years of neglect which councils allowed on their networks, and every year the figure is reducing. I worked at a plant which was been upgraded to meet high demand, but by the time the plant was finished leak chasing had reduced the demand on the plant to the point where the upgrade was not needed to meet demand.

It's a shame that water charges were scraped as they are the best way to both control demand and pay for works to the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Sure does, and most of it falls out of the sky. Don't be confusing the x litres of water per x litre of milk that's written and produced based on the US agricultural system, and what is happening here in Ireland. Very very different situations. I'm sure you know it takes even more water to grow almonds and avocados in the states than to produce meat/dairy. We as a country need to be strong when someone points to US based figures and uses them as a stick to beat Irish agriculture.

The washing is a heavy user of water for sure. That's the price to meet the stringent quality and safety standards as set out by the EU and the government. Washing needs to be done, and it takes power (electricity to heat the water), and the water itself. Often times the water used to wash the machines is reused to wash down yards and things, then it's stored and spread back on the land or to dilute slurry to make it go further and work faster. Note too that processors have banned chlorine in the washes on farm which means hotter water is required. Yet the processors themselves can use chlorine in their units. Mmmm, strange that.

Personally I've never visited an animal farm that was bringing water directly from rivers or lakes. They've all had their own well or are on the mains/group scheme. Some are drinking directly from rivers (now banned) and others have a drinker with a pipe into the river that the cattle pump themselves. Horticulture is a different beast where irrigators are sucking directly from the rivers/lakes and spreading it on the crops when required.

Edit to add that I do know of farmers who do bring water from rivers/lakes to dilute slurry. It's not a practice I agree with as there's plenty of rainfall in yards tat should be diverted in time to do the same job, but I can understand why that isn't done (storage issues where rainwater can't be diverted or tanks fill sooner for example). This probably could exceed the 25k litre as a "small tanker" would be carrying close to 9000l at a time (2000 gallon slurry tanker which is what most farmers would use). I wonder if you exceed 25k litres in any day do you need to register or is it only if you do it everyday? Maybe @[Deleted User] would know

Post edited by roosterman71 on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Apparently using firelighters is the new crime. As if we burn them by the box.

True.

I’d love people had a dose of common sense where they would adopt a pragmatic approach to their food rather than extremist nonsensical veganism. Eg where I live in north Wexford, Fairfield farm enniscorthy milk. 60 cow low input farm. Christy byrne butchers, too small numbers each for big intensive farmers to bother supplying, local spud growers sell on road ect

Post edited by Jjameson on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Ah the classic "I want the best of everything but I won't support how it gets here". There's very little in life that's produced without ramifications elsewhere. You're posting on a message board which requires energy to host, that energy is over 50% from coal and gas right now.

Why do you keep insisting on misrepresenting what I said, (or for that matter) what the EPA you quote also says?

The EPA has stated that 7.5 milliom litres of urban raw sewage is discarged into waterways and the seas daily. I have no idea what this "final polish phase" is (polishing turds ?) but the very same EPA has stated that "49% of the combined sewage loading that arises in large urban areas in Ireland is discharged from treatment plants that are not meeting the mandatory European Union treatment and effulent quality standards." As to your legacy plants with minimal treatment that Irish Water is now upgrading, the EPA go on to point out in the same report that "Irish Water still does not have clear plans and time frames to improve discharges from 27 priority areas where waste water is a significant pressure on water bodies at risk of not meeting their envirinmental objectives."

But sure lets go after farmers and ignore that a state uility company is failing to treat sewage to mandatory E.U. treatment and effulent quality standards, is responsible for 7.5 million litres of raw sewage being pumped into seas and waterways daily, and have no plans or time frames to improve discharges from 27 other priority areas.

Water charges were nothing more than a secondary tax and in all likelihood an effort to eventually privatize water. Irish Water was established 10 years ago, and their hope is to still have over 400 million litres of treated water leaking into the ground from their mains in 2030. Along with their failures in waste water treatment, not a great reason for patting them on the back imho.

Now that I have cleared all that up for you, and with you being so exercised over cattle numbers and exports, perhaps you would be good enough to answer the question I asked. What is the logic behind greens looking for over a million cattle culled in Ireland when Brazil alone is increasing their numbers by 24 million to fulfill worldwide demand ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I think it was Thomas Sowell who said "there are no solutions only trade offs". Sadly this gets completely missed in all of these types of discussions.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Another big solar installation refused planning, this time in Co. Offaly

One refused in Westmeath a couple of weeks ago too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I cannot let this go:

I don’t know who is sanctioning all these bicycle lanes, but they haven’t a clue:

EG : Someone built a cycle lane up the Main Street in Bray, resulting in 2 busses going in opposite directions cannot get past each other.

EG: the same thing was done on the road leaving Maynooth in the direction of Dublin ( sorry, I don’t know the name of the street ) resulting in the same problem, 2 busses not able to pass each other

EG: A lane was sacrificed on the north quays in Dublin to accommodate a cycle lane. Today I was on the said quays and bicycles still cycling in the bus lane resulting in a build-up of busses unable to pass. This becomes even more ridiculous as there is no law enforcing bicycles to use cycle lanes.

There are many more instances of this ‘planning’ by people who haven’t a clue (Main Street in Newbridge is a prime example).

• Advertisement

Synical cute whorism approach to a stated policy of increasing bike usage. Typical policy implementation done dirt cheap.

Politicians get to pat themselves on the back for taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

The point is there are so called experts planning these things without due consideration. No thought goes into these changes,

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

That is a common doom scenario ever since the 1970s. Malthusian based. It has not come to pass mainly due to technology. But, it does not mean those issues have gone away completely. On top of that we have an increasing global demographic problem with too few children being born coupled w the end of globalisation. Although technology won't be a complete panacea, humans will adapt as they always have, with local instead of global solutions. It is the only way forward.

And to take waste water and agricultural runoffs as an example. In Holland the drinking water is actually very good and they have many working treatment plants. There is also the nitrate directive which functions quite well. The trouble with dutch farmers started when the state introduced 'special nature areas' with higher standards which then lead to adjacent farmers being punished for being over the new standard limit using faulty measurement technologies. And that is an almost perfect example of how NOT to use technology that does not fit the problem, like so many green ones ie, massive windmill and solar panel sites. They do not fix the underlying issue..

What i am saying is that talking doom is a futile effort. It is best to address local issues in a balanced way. No need for scaremongering and bringing in EU/WEF based enforced directives and fascist style rules and compliance mechanisms. In fact, that will make things much worse. People will push back defending their freedom. Plus, that clash actually delays the transition to cleaner energy. This is something the Greens will never see. They (falsely) believe the fascist narrative will work. Most left leaning people tend to only see fascism coming from the right. That is their blind spot. They dont spot their internal Adolph. I call it 'Sam Harris syndrom'. Not only that, they think they have the answers to current and future problems so wont get involved in creating a clear thinking path w new ideas to tackle issues that are ever evolving. They are, in essence, extremely narrow minded. And people clearly see that. The end of globalisation is a far more challenging set of issues than climate change. Ireland is not immune to that. We will see the Green Dream deflating like a balloon the more irish people are confronted with its consequences. Anyone who thinks climate change is more important than say, healthcare and a changing economic outlook has got his priorities wrong..

Post edited by deholleboom on

The issue is that my choice of vegetarian diet is considerably more environmentally friendly than your choice of eating meat. That's not even disputable even when you take into account the avacado whipping boy.

However most of the food on my plate is produced unsustainably. The United Nations highlighted this about a decade ago and proposed the solution of small local market gardens with mixed organic holdings. That would represent a massive reduction in food miles, fertilizer used and pollution produced. Diesel will not get substantially cheaper and will likely increase in cost as peak oil constrains supplies. This means food prices will keep rising in lock step until only a nationalised intensive agriculture will prevent starvation among wealthy nations poorer citizens.

Better to go down the route of local market garden production of veg with about a 10% animal component to recycle on farm wastes. 10% also just happens to be an optimum level of meat protein for a healthy diet.

So that's my proposal for how we could make it better, based on analysis by the United Nations. I guarantee no one will like or accept it but the idea that we can carry on in the current rut, with an agriculture which effectively turn oil into food (weight for weight) is not any sort of vision for the future. Oil will both be to environmentally costly to use and to financially costly to waste in such a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,204 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I see the IFA went nuts and told the EPA to delete their Tweet suggesting having a meat free day once a week.

Why on earth would the EPA pander to them over something so innocuous?

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

The issue with all that is that these will have to happen naturally, by choice not by compliance. They will happen when countries get confronted by higher costs of basic items like food. Economics do matter.

Anyway, i support local solutions to local problems. So, if people feel the need or want to have a plot to grow vegetables by all means. But that does NOT give you or the state the right to drive out farmers who provide food for the masses including people in really poor countries. And taking land for massive wind and solar industries. And bringing in Green fascism. That is not a solution but a problem. As all issues are trade offs these things cannot be brought on quickly by bureaucrats. Incremental changes over time is the key. Roll with the punches. People will adapt. The trouble is panic. The trouble is alarmists. The trouble is the Final Solution. If the Green revolution is like the French revolution we have something coming all right. Another Robespierre? Or Mao's cultural revolution, or the Marxist one for that matter. They all had one important thread: armageddon was just around the corner. They had no doubt about it. Settled mind sets. But millions died in the process.The road to hell is paved with good intentions. But try to tell that to people like Klaus Schwab..

I'm willing to sell you a piece of land for your adventure.

According to themselves, it was to do with the EPA wading into dietary matters and going against the governments own nutritional advice

• Advertisement

Looks like we could be about to get a default 30k limit for urban areas

Coupled with appropriate enforcement and this could see real gains for both emission reduction and a switch to active travel as the roads would be a lot safer

Advertisement