Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump discussion Thread IX (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,299 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

And of course the Trump pundits are going insane with accusations of "Well if he lied before so why should his testimony be trusted now" and "Oh look, he changed lawyer from the defender to the prosecutor" etc. to try to placate themselves that it does not matter. I got a feeling that a deal was struck along with the fact more deals are likely to be struck as they get a non Trump paid laywer telling them what's likely to happen to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,628 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Has the hack made public shown much detail on what the donations to the fund were being used for and have the owners of the hacked site managed to repair the fund firewall and stop more information leaking from it?

I would assume the hacked information would be of use to people on the investigation and prosecution side if anything plainly illegal or improper being done by the fund manager/s was left open for view publicly without the hackers being aided or abetted by anyone connected to anyone on any of the several investigation and prosecution teams.

Fair point raised in an Indo article about the republicans who have put their names forward for the presidency. What, knowing that Trump is going to run himself, have the candidates done to present a clear argument to the party voters that the votes must be given to them and not Trump? What are they each individually proposing as their aims and intents to get elected and to fulfil said aims if elected. Presumably the Fox debate will have enough time for them to do so.

One candidate has given two of his aims as: 1. Pardon Trump if he's convicted and 2. run the US in the way Elon Musk would. As platforms go, that sounds stranger than any platform Trump could run on. It doesn't sound like the other candidates have mush they can use to change Trump supporters into voters definitely likely to vote for them instead.

Post edited by aloyisious on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭Christy42

They can't separate from Trump and still be members of the Republican party. Trump took over the party lock stock and barrel, all that is left is his cult and RINOs who won't get anywhere.

It is the party of Trump, their policy is just whatever Trump says and anything going against him will just see their base reject them.

If Pence says anything about the role he took in Jan 2020 during the debate tonight, it'll be hard for Trump not to resist passing a comment in response due to his belief in free speech. Pence provided witness testimony to the Washington Grand Jury. I don't know if the Washington case witnesses are protected from Trump by way of an agreement with the prosecutor, his own lawyer's assent to the witness protection and with the judge hearing that particular case, as in the Georgia case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

He intends to run the USA as sucessfully as Elon has run Twitter. Sorry, 'X'. I hope we won't see any 'unscheduled disassamblies' in the US economy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Chris Christie is the only one directly criticising Trump and his poll numbers are awful.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

I would disagree. There's enough 'never trumpers' and undecided on a candidate combined to beat Trump. The problem is, none of the candidates are strong enough to attract a large enough number of those points. Christie could well have been the best hope, but missed his shot to shine tonight. Nikki Haley tried to move into that lane by attacking Trump in a new strategy but the Republican voters have historically panned female candidates, Margaret Chase Smith in 1964, Dole in 2000 and Bachmann in 2012. They will only unite behind a white man.

Its looks like Haley was trying to garner the female vote with her "we don't need to jail or execute women because they had abortions" but failed. It might be worthwhile keeping an eye on this issue amongst female GOP and independent-minded voters as it should be something worth a lot more to them at a personal level than it would males.

There's also the fact that making abortion completely illegal Federally and State law wise would put many a male in a pickle where paternity cases would be an inconvenience for them. I'm surprised the male candidates haven't seen the writing on the wall on the issue.

Canada will always exist for those wealthy enough to allow their mistresses to travel.

• Advertisement

I was thinking how similar the situation would be to what ran here largely but....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Haley was the only one realistic about abortion. I was surprised by how much she went after Trump also. She landed the best attack of the night on him, but it won't mean anything as her campaign is dead.

Tbf the DeSantis campaign have got plenty of shots in on Trump and its not really working because the voters really like Trump. That might sound simplistic, but gun to head etc, their is maybe a 10% lane of never trump conservatives and that won't win any elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

Do they not consider the effect that having a convicted felon as president would have on their country's standing in the world? Surely, the Republican Party's leadership committee could do with Trump what the British Labour Party's national executive committee is doing with Corbynistas who want to run as Labour candidates in the next general election, couldn't it?

I think that at this stage it's gone beyond Trump's ability to have people believe what he says is honest joe talk - the B/S he spun about the democrats firstly, and when they swallowed that, he followed it up with RINO and other lies about senior decades-in-service GOP members.

It's more that they now CHOOSE to believe he is the best thing the GOP has going for it rather than admit they were gullible enough to be taken in by him. So many of the party members tried to wake them up to the liar Trump is and failed, and the thanks they got was to be thrown out of the party leadership at his behest. They believe in TV reality show performances so much they cant tell the difference between it and real life.

Edit: There is a difference between the US Republican Party and the British Labour Party, the rules governing them. AFAIK, the different states have the say on whom is a member of the state party and not those sitting in Washington.

In theory, a US citizen who is intent on committing genocide could get elected as president. I recall that, before the 2016 election, there was speculation that, if Trump was to order the military to launch nuclear missiles without justification, the military itself would be obliged to mutiny against him because of the Nuremberg principles.

By people, I meant the average GOP voter. I understand Trump assessed the gullibility of the democrat party when he was a supporter of it and found it unfit for purpose so he went to the GOP, assessed it and found it fit for his purpose.

The US military is well used to B/S and came to know Trump for what he is. Unfortunately they are restricted due to their oath to the constitution and all it stands for. I believe any person of command rank would have insisted that Trump provide them with the questionable order signed and in writing. I believe Trump however has no such morals and he tossed his oath of loyalty to the US constitution into the bin solely for his own benefit.

They take an oath to defend the US Constitution against all enemies - foreign and domestic (I'm channelling Nicholas Brody in "Homeland", by the way!). A convicted felon who is President might qualify as a domestic enemy.

The Nuremberg principles still stand.

This article is from 2 years ago.

I'm mindful that this thread is about Trump and the attempt he made to steal the election from the US citizens as a whole [that includes the GOP] and from the winner so I'm going to stick with that, if you don't mind. There is one thing that I've come to accept from Trump the defendant and that is everything he says is a lie, that the opposite is the truth. Last night's "“As you know, you have many people that you’ve been watching over the years, do the same thing,” Trump said. “Whether it’s Hillary Clinton or Stacy Abrams or many others, when you have that great freedom to challenge, you have to be able to, otherwise you can have very dishonest elections. What has taken place here is a travesty of justice. We did nothing wrong. I did nothing wrong and everybody knows that, I've never had such support.” statement after the jail episode is the usual Trump untruth.

One thing he did was replace one of his lawyers, Drew Findling with Steve Sadow, another Atlanta lawyer, before his visit to Fulton County Jail to be booked in there as a defendant in the felony racketeering case against him. I assume he was advised to take on Sadow, rather than by doing a Golden Pages pick for a lawyer.

Thanks for the book tip, BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

So back on twitter it seems.

I am shocked it took so long tbh.

I don't think this is a good idea, his rantings on truth social at times were borderline insane ...I think he posted about 10 posts insulting RDS in a few hours the other day, that's fine when its only the fanatics reading but some of this stuff is so dumb its going to remind people why they voted Biden in the 1st place. He's going to get much more attention and news cycles covering his tweets which he will love but do wonder how much he gets himself in legal trouble and he will get a lot of community notes!

I suspect a few community notes might go missing in the case of Trump.

• Advertisement

The State Supreme Court in Wisconsin which has turned liberal [according to the W/Post] seems to be minded to rule on the issue of voting districts and abortion rights from a non-republican stance. Is Wisconsin an omen on how things may change and affect the US national scene on some topical issues and result in a swing toward a more Liberal tendency?

Would Trump's campaign to be re-elected have petered out if he wasn't being prosecuted at all?

Do the opinion polls tell the whole story about the extent of support for Trump in the Republican party?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,473 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Yes.

He has nothing now but a failed insurrection, the worst handling of covid in the rich world and croynism. The MAGA faithful will turn out but moderates and swing voters probably not. Notice how he hasn't enunciated a single policy. The man is out for revenge and literally nothing else.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

All Trump has is a mix of Hard Core MAGAs who believe his "Stolen Election" tripe and a group of "Always GOP" voters who don't necessarily like him but if he's the GOP nominee they will vote for him.

He is beyond Toxic to any Democratic Party leaning voter and a majority of Independents feel the same way about him.

There are probably only 10-15% of voters out there that are genuinely "influenceable" in terms of getting them to change their vote from last time and Trump will find it very hard to get those to his side with his current "It's all a big conspiracy to get me" story line.

And it will only get harder as more and more details of the various court cases against him are made public and evidence is being heard in courts etc.

Mark Meadows request to have his trial in Georgia moved from a state court to a federal court on the grounds that he was a federal employee at the time of the alleged offences seemed peculiar to me, as if he was angling to get around any conviction and sentence in a state court being proof from a pardon, should that come to be the decision of the court trying him. I looked in askance at his setting such an attempt might also be a lead to "others" in the same fix then following him in applying for change of court because "they" too were in receipt of federal employee pay. I'm not sure if the main defendant would finally agree to such a ploy as it would mean he'd have to accept being a federal employee and not the boss.

One legal opinion in the US is that if he succeeded in getting such a move he would then become liable to Hatch Act charges where a federal employee is barred from interfering with an election and liable to imprisonment for so doing, separate to the charges he already faces in Georgia.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,521 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Seeing reports that the trial date has been set for March 4th 2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,981 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Interesting. Right in the teeth of the Primaries.

RNC is scheduled for July 24. If the Party grandees want Trump gone, he'll be convicted by then, or not. Which I know means nothing for a candidature, but it makes him less likely to be a Republican one.

Expect a flurry of challenges now, all of them groundless. Maybe a few lawyers disbarred. All good sport.

It seems, as of now, Trump's trial in Georgia state will be televised live from court. The public won't be relying on reporters handwritten notes of what went on in court.

Meadows is on the stand now making the case for his change of venue request from State to Federal court. If he succeeds and gets a move, apparently it will be to another part of Georgia more populated by GOP voters.

Edit; A change from State to Federal court would result in no live TV feed of the trial due to court rules. Georgia state law allows for TV cameras in its courts and the Federal courts do not. If the venue change is allowed, no one would see what a live feed would show.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Advertisement

I read an opinion-piece by Eugene Robinson in the W/Post about the group of republican candidates in the live debate and how realistic they are as candidates relative to how they - when asked at the end of the debate if they would support Trump - all raised their hands in an Aye show of hands. This show of hands indicates an unspoken putting of party loyalty above the constitution when they did not swear fealty to the party but did do to upholding the constitution. Ein Fuhrer, Ein Party, and Ein????

Somewhere along the line while reading the W/Post item, I saw an aside to a distinct issue [allegiance to the constitution] linked to Trumps activities in Washington on the 06th Jan. It included a reference to the 14th amendment and representation.

The 14th amendment to the US constitution relative to the number of senators, congresspersons and other elected persons at state level etc came up and I saw in the amendment that the number of elected representatives persons would be reduced if the number of male over 21 years of age citizen voters fell below a certain number. The amendment makes specific mention of representative numbers being reduced when voters participated in a rebellion. The 14th amendment makes no mention of female over 21 years of age citizen voters. Is it to be taken that the female voters are included, just not mentioned, in the whole number of persons in the state.

The amendment does make specific mention of untaxed Indians in its wording reference them not being included in the count of number of persons in each state so it appears it is capable of including wording about a specific number of persons in the states.

Advertisement