Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 21/22 Eviction Ban (was: And just like that, FFFG lose 298000 votes))

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

All points I agree with but HAP limits are often exceeded, especially in Dublin. I dont think there really is a HAP limit.

The council should build their own homes as you say but they should broaden the terms in which they bring their property to the market.

Stop allocating 100% to social housing, as anyone with an average salary or above wont qualify.

That cohort need to be housed also.

Council builds an apartment block with 100 units.

60% should be affordable homes to buy. (not subject to income limits)

30% cost rental (not subject to income limits)

10% social housing (subject to income limits)

This would help to stop the creation of Ghettos, as the vast majority of people are paying for the property and 60% are owners and heavily invested in their home and its surroundings.

it also means that house prices in the private market (to rent and to buy) come down, because the state is not propping up the prices by competing for the same stock with private buyers/renters.

60% ownership also dilutes the funding in retirement timebomb we are facing.

Almost anyone renting upon reitrement is essentially screwed and will end up in social accom or a hostel.

The more home ownership we have, the easier it will be to manage this deficit.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭J_1980

Most of that profit is revaluation. No one paid for that. It’s just accounting.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Emblematic

This means that the problem is not the council underbidding but rather overbidding. However in the current situation with the rental market, there may be no other option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

what do you think would happen when the rates go high? the government employed builders look to be brought up to the rate of private wages, then when the wages decrease on the other end of the cycle, the government is stuck with a lot of staff on high wages, that they have no work for.

That's not even going into the discussion about how public sector workers can get away with doing nothing on a job and still not be fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,545 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The new HAP guarantee scheme for LL is not all it's supposed to be.

The government said that where a tenant was in arrears it would pay HAP for 12 months before stopping it to a LL.

Now it appears that is not the case. The payment to the LL is suspended for 3 months then he signs some waiver or other before he is put back on the HAP system. What LL is going to wait three months without rental income.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Even if they paid it for 12 months the landlord is looking at another 1 to 3 years after that with no rent from the experience of a few people I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Yeah, the Govt really need to address this.

I thought progress was made with the 12 month security payments for LLs but it appears you would still have to wait 3 months with no payment and then receive up to 12 months payments thereafter? (assuming the tenant didnt pay for the entire 15 month period)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Looks like some steps needs taking

Landlords in call for action as dozens of tenants owe more than €350,000 in arrears.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ingo1984

I could also write an article about 1,000s in tenancy deposits illegally withheld by landlords.

I could also write about 100O's in damages some tenants leave behind them

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DubCount

At least with an illegally withheld deposit there is a straightforward mechanism to recover losses.

What about an article on how the current system is so messed up, Landlords are leaving in spite of historic high rents. Tens of thousands of tenants are paying mad rents because of lack of supply driven by rafts of anti-landlord market interventions.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭bluedex

I can't see the last sentence helping to increase supply, although the 1st is most probably true:

"The Union of Students in Ireland Vice President for Welfare Colette Murphy claimed earlier this month that the government is using the rent-a-room scheme as a “band aid” for the problem of student housing in Ireland.

Murphy added that the USI would like for those renting their room to be classified as landlords, through the Residential Tenancies Board, and the introduction of written and clear agreements between both the renter and the rentee."

https://www.thejournal.ie/20-hours-childminding-in-lieu-of-rent-6149613-Aug2023/

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

I think you are 100% correct. Make people renting out rooms come under the farce that is RTB and you will see them just tell the renters thats it, im not doing this anymore you'll have to find somewhere else to live.

Then you'll see legislation coming along to solve this entirely avoidable problem that they have created. The legislation will not allow someone to evict someone from a room in their home. Noene will ever rent a room in their home again then. Housing crisis made multiple times worse. At least thats the way its gone so far anyway. No legislation or addition of rules or quangos has helped one bit. In fact each and every time they have multiplied the problem.

But I guess thats the intelligence of the people we have dealing with the housing crisis. More interested in sound bites and likes than actually helping.

Wont be long til someone renting your bedroom has more rights to your house than you do. Just like someone renting your entire property has now.

I sure Ms Murphy thinks she is asking for the right thing, but if she engaged her brain she would find that she is actually looking to make things far, far worse for students. And not just worse for students. Worse for absolutely everyone.

I think USI only look at this from a student perpective and on one hand I see there issue with student digs. Some of the carry on is abysmal. On the other hand many students do not understand that they are guests in another persons house and that they have to abide by some rules.

Expectations that you can pick and choose dinner and dinner times. Not come in until after midnight most nights of the week.

But USI need to remember that hard cases make bad law. I cannot see the government moving on it anyway. It would only push house owners away from providing the service

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

From reading that article it looks like Simon Harris is planning to bring in some new regulations for students who rent a room as he is due to publish draft legislation on future guidelines in the coming days. He said back in June that he was having talks with the RTB regarding tenancy protections.

Wouldn't legislation affect anyone who rents-a-room, not only students? If private home owners have to be RTB registered to take in a lodger, imo a lot of that type of accommodation will be gone.

Its hard to see how this will help the supply situation.

It most certainly will cost big time in beds available for rent, but sure when did any of those idots ever think before they jumped and caused the destruction of thousands vacancies. Every single one of their measures has been actually bad for housing. The unintended consequences have always been well flagged before, and yet they just went ahead and did it. So much so that its hard to imagine thats these "unintended consequences" are even unintended.

Imagine renting a room and then being stuck under all sorts of rules and regulations if the person you are sharing your house and living space with turns out to be a torag. What a nightmare scenario.

Yes, I think the USI are just being naive. The intentions are good, they are trying to look after students, but making people who supply "digs" register with the RTB would be a disaster. IMO any suppliers will just provide the room on the proviso that they won't register with the RTB. Most students, and their parents, won't care one bit.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

On one hand we have the USI complaining that there is limited accommodation for students and asking people to open up their homes to students on the other they are asking for regulation of the same people that open up their homes. Overregulation of the rental market has made it unappealing for small landlords, what effect do they thing it will have on those willing to rent out a room in their home...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Requiring digs providers to register with the RTB will be a retrograde step and will most likely kill off this source of accommodation, it will be akin to the ban on bedsits the DCC enacted years ago, it created more problems than it solved.Most rent aroom/digs providers will not bother with the hassle/risk of having an awkward tenant you cant remove.

On a personal level, I live near a large college and I and my neighbours are swamped by the college/students union with leaflets and requests to let our spare rooms, I let 2 rooms 5 years ago as the kids had departed, I like the tax free money (rent a room scheme)and the fact that a large house is being utilised but the most important thing for me is the ability to have control on who stays in my house, if the whole slew of tenants rights are given to rent a room licensees I wont risk having a tenant who I cant get to leave.Most other people I know who provide this type of accommodation are of the same view.

BTW, most USI local offices have an accommdation officer who oversees registration/list of digs providers ,they also deal with disputes and problems on a local level, this system has worked for many years, for the USI VP to now call for legislation smacks of hysteria,but no doubt thy have a career in politics ahead of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

yeah I've been renting out the two spare rooms in my house on/off (I'm in a 3 bed semi detached) for the last few years.

I give well below market rate rents (€150 a month) so they're getting a great deal and I do it to help out friends of friends, but I do so on the basis that its tax free for me (well under the 14k a year limit) and no hassle. I just have to declare the rent a room income as part of my tax filing which is nice and simple and no extra cost or burden for me as I have to self file anyway for CGT.

If I had to register with Threshold though or do additional paper work I'd be less inclined to help out and rent those rooms.

• Advertisement

We all agree it would be stupid move to over-regulate the rent-a-room providers, would be a retrograde step and actually make the situation worse.

So, what do you think is going to happen, based on the past record of the geniuses overseeing housing and accommodation?

I am hoping they will come to their senses and ignore the hysteria from the USI, they could draw up guidelines/minimum standards on what the digs/rent a room scheme should entail, but if they confer full tenants rights on licensees, I for one will not let my two rooms in a city with a chronic shortage of accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

If all licensees were to get full tenant rights, that would include people staying in hotels and b&b/guest house accommodation so it could only be new rules for private homes where the renter is sharing with an owner occupier or a head tenant.

If Simon Harris has already been in talks with the RTB, I'd say new rules are on the way, which is no surprise really, because the current politicians seem determined to totally mess up every part of the rental market. Renters will be the most affected by that type of change, home owners will just stop letting rooms and leave the market like the thousands of landlords who've already left.

I will leave my rooms empty, dont need the hassle or risk of a bad tenant making my life a misery in my own home.There will be an opportunity for the big developers to fill the gap after they get their tax breaks, no doubt the USI will assist the big developers by lobbying the government to solve the "student housing crisis" which they will have exacerbated by their demonising of "Digs" providers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭Villa05

The rtb must be a roaring success if they are sending the rent a room businesses there way.

Seriously has anyone considered this is just a further extension of the government's attempts to eliminate small landlords that is a product of lobbying by reits and investment funds.

100%. Has to be brown envelopes involved for such stupid actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Emblematic

Though to be fair, from a tenant's point of view, larger fund based landlords when properly regulated are better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Germany set to propose three-year rent freeze

I bet muppets here will do the same

Living the life

• Advertisement
Advertisement