Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registering small farm as business

• 28-08-2023 8:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

The father has less than 30 acres at home. Trees planted on over half of it. I recently built a house beside him so am doing a few bits round at home. General maintenance and upgrading a shed to a workshop. All for personal use. My father has always been awful at dealing with the admin side of things so I'm looking after grant applications. All that's grand. My question: Is there any point in registering the farm as a business so I can claim the VAT back on stuff I buy related to it? E.G. this year I've purchased numerous tool, ran SWA cable to a shed and various other bits and pieces of maintenance. My gut is telling me that the cost of the accountant and various other costs involved could equate to the VAT savings. Also, unless I'm mistaken, the savings aren't monetary savings, you just get to buy more "farm stuff" instead of giving the government VAT. Not a bad situation to be in either I suppose.....

Anyway, with the little info I've provided, do ye think I should call up an accountant and get the ball rolling on registering the business for the father?

Cheers,

Fizzy

Comments

Advertisement