Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Pay Talks - see mod warning post 4293

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Rubbish.

I'm one of those, and I was one of the most vocal here last year arguing the case for the lower paid grades, but got absolutely lambasted for even suggesting they should get a higher percentage, as it would narrow the gap and "devalue" those in higher grades.

Those arguing against solution was "tell the lower grades to work harder and get promoted, then they'll earn more."

These are the people who are screwing over their younger colleagues - not the pre-95ers like me - who actually came up in the CS when being part of a union meant looking out for the best interest of all, not just myself or those at my grade.

That solidarity certainly doesn't exist anymore - that's if they even join a Union - though non-members are happy to take any deals negotiated by them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Well then who the hell voted for the deal, overwhelmingly!?

There are two things that could be true:

1) The majority of the CS/PS is so financially illiterate that they don't understand that a 3% pay rise in a 6% inflationary environment is a pay cut in real terms. (This might be true; I do believe, broadly speaking, people in Ireland aren't great with finances)

2) People who are quite comfortable and have long service in the PS/CS saw it as something they could live with, a small drop in real term income, because I'm alright Jack.

I'm not just referring to Pre-95ers here there are many more in the 95-13 bracket who are happy out also.

You two pre-95ers fighting the good fight need to have a chat with your peers because fundamentally we agree, the last deal was crap the next deal will likely be crap so why are people voting for it?

Read the thread going back to last year. Then you'll see for yourself who voted for it.

I know I didn't. Something I was also heavily criticised for.

That's not a what a 4 day week is meant to be. It's a reduction in work hours while keeping/improving productivity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I will analyse the pay changes since inflation began to rise

CPI

2020 = -0.3% mild deflation

2021 = 2.4%

2022 = 7.8%

CPI in Dec 2016 = 100

CPI in Jan 2021 = 101.5 (this just shows how low and stable inflation was)

CPI July 2023 = 120.2

So since 1-Jan 2021, just over 30 months, inflation has been 18.5%

Building Momentum, negotiated during COVID in 2020, cover 1-Jan 2021 to end 2022

1-Oct-21 = +1%

1-Feb-22 = +1% local / sectoral bargaining fund

1-Oct-22 = +1%

BM extension/adjustment

2-Feb-22 = +3%

1-Mar-23 = +2%

So as of today, the pay increases have been +1+1+1+3+2 = 8.25%

That means real wages have fallen by 10% over the 2.5 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

If I recall correctly the pay deal was championed by the Unions taking into account the additional supports paid universally (energy bill credits, additional children’s allowance etc). I expect there will be further similar and more generous one off payments announced in October given the nature of the budget surplus.

The Unions should have gone back in for a better deal last time around and their falling membership hopefully forces them to come out with more favourable terms this time. With full employment the number of vacancies in the public sector which can’t be filled is remarkable. I think we will see a better deal this time as a result

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭readoutloud

Is it odd that only union members get to vote on whether or not to accept a pay deal? Surely a fairer system would be to ask everyone whose wage is affected if they agree.

Essentially, there is a ~€300/year paywall to be allowed vote on a change to your own salary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭bren2001

The unions negotiate it. Join if you want a vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭spark_tank

If the Union does a good job during negotiations the fee is going to be worth it. But here we are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Indestructable

I hope those who did vote for it had time to reflect on what an utterly moronic decision that was and will pressure for a better deal this time around. I won't hold my breath.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭readoutloud

A system that forces you to pay to vote, yet impacts your conditions regardless, is not very democratic. Perhaps it should go the other way - union negotiated deals only apply to union members?

For the record, I don't have strong feelings on this but I've just been pondering unions recently. I'm on the fence about joining my own: it has a poor track record (for my grade, anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Instead of comparing yourselves against inflation over that time period, why don't you instead compare yourself to private sector workers.

Do you think private sector workers have even come close to these sort of pay rises?

You should be matching yourselves off against private sector pay rises, not inflation. As private sector is paying for literally everything, and you are competing with private sector for labour.

No unions, nobody to negotiate. No fee, no unions.

Not perfect but best system available i think. I'm incredibly pro union for the record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

So if you are not in the union you stay on the same pay conditions as the day you started? That makes sense, off with you!

I'll give you the other viewpoint for consideration however - no unions means no paydeals, so effectively the union membership is paying for non members pay rises, that doesn't seem very fair or democratic either does it?

I've been offered near double my wages to work in the private sector. Same would be true for most of my colleagues, in my case, there's just no way the government can compete.

I stay because i dont want to work for a private company in a different job. I like my job, the autonomy i have, and the perks that come with that. I can only benchmark myself against inflation.

I understand my case is peculiar and shouldn't dictate the majority.

I'm the same would more than x2 my salary in the private world but don't want to BUT I also expect to not have effective pay cuts YoY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Sarn

Several younger colleagues moved to the private sector over the past 12-18 months, all for better pay and conditions. One was reluctant to go but couldn’t turn down an 80% increase in pay, they are looking to buy a home. Unsurprisingly, we’ve only just filled the last positions due to lack of interest from suitable candidates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Okay, let's do that.

Public admin and defence received a 12.5% pay rise over five years, compared to 24% across all sectors.

So public service pay is lagging behind.

Public admin and defence has seen the second slowest wage growth.

ICT wages have grown by nearly 40%.

People accept that there are trade offs to public work and that you're paid less.

Being paid less is one thing, the pay gap widening is a different beat altogether

• Advertisement

You can't look at it over one year or one pay agreement tho.

I don't think we will get an inflation matching deal over two years and i likely won't strike for that. I'll follow the unions advice and only reject the deal if they recommend that.

I'm not even talking about inflation. I'm talking about the gap widening between public and private.

I'll accept being paid less than the private sector but screw it if that gap gets to widen constantly

When times are good, private sector will move away. When times are bad, the gap will shrink. It is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Are you taking into account the typical €1m+ net present value of a public sector pension? Most private sector workers, even in IT, will be lucky to have €100k lump sum in pension contributions upon retirement.

Where are you pulling €1m+ as the typicap value?

I pay for my pension via the public service. Nothing stopping private sector employees doing the same.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,517 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Members of the Single Public Service Pension Scheme won't have a lump sum anywhere close to €100k. Half of that would be more typical. We've ten years of public sector workers on the scheme now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭skidmarkoner

Join if you can afford it with the pay I get I can't afford union membership until I make EO and by then inflation will have wiped that out for me too...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭HGVRHKYY

It's not an excuse, but if we dropped to a 4 day week and retained our salaries (+ whatever % increases are realistically possible) it would mean you've an entire extra day free to live your life every week of the year, essentially a raise in your hourly earnings. The main point being that this would make the CS/PS much more attractive to compensate for the lower pay compared with the private sector, since people ITT are raising the point that it's becoming less and less competitive with the private sector.

We all know it's possible to take a 20% pay cut to do a 4 day week, that's a complete tangent of a point

• Advertisement

The "tangent of a point" was made for the benefit of those who believe 4 day weeks are not workable for public servants, despite the fact that they are already an option for many and have been for many years.

Advertisement