Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best option for transmitting high speed broadband over 500m

• 27-08-2023 11:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭

I'm about to build a house with no access to a fibre connection, but it's about 500m away from a siblings house that has a fibre connection.

There is no line of sight between the houses (a hill in the way) but I own all of the land in between.

If they were willing to share their high speed internet rather than me using a dodgy 4g service, would the best option be to lay an ethernet cable between the houses?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭dam099

500m is too far for Ethernet to work. There are fibre options you could look at instead i.e. convert the ethernet to fibre, send your 500m over fibre then convert back bit its likely tricky to do.

If you could get power to the top of the hill you could possibly do a relay with point to point wireless bridges i.e. siblings house to top of hill, then top of hill to your house.

Also once your house is built (or maybe even when in progress) you may be able to request it be added to the NBI if nothing else high speed is available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

I would also put some.sort of firewall between the 2 networks.

If they can get more than one public Ip address from the ISP, you could use your own router or firewall and completely have a separate Internet connection from theirs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,470 ✭✭✭TheChizler

You'd possibly be better off with something like this at the peak of the hill than a wired connection, even fibre. You'd have to invest 1000s for that distance, with the (probably unlikely) risk that the provider would cut off your siblings access for violating their contract by sharing their connection with multiple properties.

Or

https://www.tp-link.com/us/business-networking/omada-sdn-access-point/eap610-outdoor/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

You can get a 200m roll of fibre for €100:

OK - that's the longest they seem to have, but there are 500m rolls on a Google search that are in the €500 ballpark.

After a lazy google I can't find the spec for that cable which isn't a good sign. Seems be geared towards satellite distribution which might be different to data network specs.

For that distance the OP would probably want single-mode 9/125 µm pre-terminated outdoor + reinforced OS1 (if they can find it) or OS2 fibre. The fibre itself won't come to 1000s but you've to think about protecting it. Maybe there's a handy fence or existing duct they can run it along and they can do this on the cheap. If you only get a single core like the above you've to get bi-directional SFPs which in my experience tend to be more expensive than uni-directional, and you run the risk of if the core breaks the whole cable is useless, so maybe you'd want to think about multi-core cable, which would be more expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

considering distance and potential cost of ducting/outdors fibre + adapters + etc or PoE and WiFi bridge + cabling +etc, "dodgy" 4G might become quite attractive cost efficient solution(providing coverage there) ...

Starlink, i guess, on the list also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

"violating their contract by sharing their connection" unless intentionally reported/inadvertently admitted, how would ISP know?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭goodlad_ourvlad

guarantee at some point, someone at the end of that connection will lose service, forget, and report to ISP as a fault, using address of service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭onrail

Thanks folks. Sounds like there's no straightforward solution, especially given that I'm a novice at this sort of stuff.

Think I'll have to live with 4g for now. It'll probably be fine for most of our needs, at least until the young fella is old enough to start gaming, maybe 3-4years. By then, fingers crossed, we'll either be on fibre or starling might become affordable.

Out of interest, what is the longest you'd recommend laying an outdoor/ducted ethernet connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭goodlad_ourvlad

Ethernet, as mentioned, maxes out at 100m.

Any copper solution will be some sort of DSL element (HDSL and a new vHDSL version) they max out at about 1km with 20-30 mbps at that distance, depending on the kit you go with.

5G or WiMax is a possibility at some point also.

If you're hard set on piggy backing the connection, do it with fibre.

• Advertisement

That's why I said unlikely. But they'd be within their rights.

If you have the ducting in place fibre is the way to go! 100km isn't hard with the right end equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭theintern

Linus Tech Tips have a few videos where they run fibre between buildings. It's definitely doable alright, but just would take some work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CDOSj8fZA4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P32OKr74NPQ

Advertisement