Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭amandstu

Good god .So soon. Arraignments in a week and a half! When does the actual trial start?

Are Trump and the other one still trying to get theirs moved to a federal court?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

Meadows is in the middle of a hearing at the moment. will be interesting to see the fall out from that.

There are so many strategies going on in Georgia its hard to keep up.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,393 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

They were all working in concert together, until they got arrested, now they're all freaking out in their own personal directions. To the folly of all the conspirators. This is the power of RICO cases.

New FEC filing details hundreds of millions in money laundering by the Trump camp, put on your shocked pikachu faces

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

indeed. I think there will be big problems for trump if there are 3-4 that request speedy trials to get out ahead of things. I get the impression they are going to say "but the boss told me to do it" and Trump's team are going to have to wrangle with that in his own case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

March the 4th trial date set

• Registered Users Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

So meadows was saying that he was acting in his federal capacity when doing what he was told to do by Trump.

Is that not leaving 45 out to dry?

Completely. But also, there's a ton of evidence of Meadows doing things far outside his job description. Just one example,

So I don't expect his motion to succeed without some eyebrow raising captured-judge shenanigans.

He tried to barge in on the Cobb County election audit with US secret service agents in a show of force but was denied entry and attempted to argue with officials that he was just there to investigate allegations... something that, in the circumstances there was actually such issues, would be handled independently by the FBI and DOJ.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Something of interest about Trumps arrest and bail in Georgia.

He used a bail bondsman to cover the costs.

Donald Trump the "Billionaire" , used a bail bondsman.

Now - He could have just handed over the $200k knowing that he'd get it all back when court proceedings began. I mean $200k for a Billionaire is the price of a good night out , but for some reason he decided that he wasn't going to do that.

Instead he went with a bail bondsman which means that he pays 10% of the fee which is non-refundable , so a $20k loss instead of just placing $200k from his vast fortune into escrow for a few months.

Why would a billionaire do that???

Also - The $20k non-refundable fee wasn't actually paid for personally by Donald Trump , it was paid out of campaign funds.

Again , if he's a Billionaire , why would he do things this way?

TL;DR - Donald "The Rapist" Trump isn't a Billionaire and was unable to scare up $200k in cash so he grifted the cash from his supporters...AGAIN.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,661 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Using a bail bonds doesn't mean he doesn't have the money, but certainly means he didn't mid costing others the fee.

He could have used his own money, but I bet that everything, I mean everything, goes through the PAC or whatever slush fund he has. So he doesn't care that the bond cost a fee, it isn't his money.

• Advertisement

I've witnessed a campaign pivot (remember that new fear unlocked, Trump Zarek)? I think he is trying to appeal to a base of kanye west republicans of color who want to see him as the most notorious felon in US history and therefore, someone with immense 'street credibility' for someone who so rarely is seen off a golf cart, and who couldn't even identify what a DQ Blizzard was -- yeah, such 'street (honestly that moment is peak "his real name is Clarence" energy, "What the Hell is a Blizzard?").

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

That poster was similarly outraged when Washington was set as the location for the insurrection trial. Everything is a conspiracy rather than the logical location.

Anything less than Amy Comey Barret performing a bench trial for his majesty in the dining hall of Mar a Lago live on Pay Per View, is a weaponization of justice.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

There is only one poll that matters, that's the one where people get to vote! What various other polls predict or bookies say is irrelevant, especially this far out.

IIRC in 2016 most of the polls said Hillary would win, look how that turned out!!

Still no answers in the Meadows hearing today. They've been at it for hours with cross examination and everything. They've had long enough to listen to the whole Perfect Phone Call TM and then some

Former White House chief of staff Mark Meadows testified Monday that President Donald Trump’s January 2021 phone call with Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger was Meadows’ attempt to resolve Trump’s concerns about voter fraud and “land the plane” on the “whole transfer of power” to Joe Biden.   

Trump’s concerns about voter fraud were a “roadblock” to the transfer of power, Meadows said. Therefore, Meadows said he tried to get this off the former president’s list of concerns by getting on the phone with Raffensperger. 

Toward the end of Meadows’ cross-examination, Georgia prosecutors pressed him on the political nature of his call.

“I didn’t see that as a violation of the Hatch Act,” Meadows testified, referencing the 1939 law that prohibits federal officials from taking political actions in their official capacity.

Meadows was asked by prosecutors whether he believed Trump had won the state of Georgia at the time of Trump’s call to Raffensperger.

“I believed there were additional things that needed to be investigated,” Meadows said.  

Meadows argued that some of the things Trump raised on the call did need more scrutiny to determine who really won the election. “In my mind, that was an open question,” he said.   

Meadows said that the call with Raffensperger was “fairly lengthy” and said that the former president was talking about the “allegations of fraud that he believed occurred in Georgia.”  

Meadows is now done testifying. He was on the stand for roughly 3 1/2 hours.    

Meadows’ team isn’t calling any additional witnesses as part of the removal hearing. They are taking a short break and then prosecutors are expected to present their case.

There was nothing mentioned in the call about transferring power to Joe Biden at any point, the insistence from Meadows and Trump was that they had bonafide evidence that he won the election, that he wasn't supplying to GA, but Meadows and Trump exerted pressure on them to accept their allegations as findings and make a public announcement that would throw the integrity of GA's election into anarchy -- or else Trump would label them criminals, publicly disavow them, sue them, charge them with crimes and have them thrown out of office.

If he's saying it's not an offence under the Hatch Act that will be a really hard sell with the judges, when he has an admissible record of flouting the same law and denouncing it both in spirit and letter:

“What it’s really designed to do is to make sure people like myself and others do not use their political position to try to convince other employees other federal employees that they need to vote one way, need to register one way or need to campaign in one way,” Meadows said. “We take it on well beyond the original intent of the Hatch Act.”

Nobody outside of the Beltway really cares. They expect that Donald Trump is going to promote Republican values and they would expect that Barack Obama, when he was in office, that he would do the same for Democrats,” he continued. “So listen, this is a lot of hoopla that’s being made about things, mainly because the convention has been so unbelievably successful.”

Juries will love this one line. Mens Rea, Months of premeditation time. Fani Willis also hit him on the fact the Kurt Hilbert was on the call on their side - Hilbert isn't a federal employee whatsoever, he was a Trump campaign lawyer. It blows his assertion out of the water that the call was not political.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Water John

So Meadows by saying the Georgia result was an open question means, he didn't believe the Georgia officials who said Biden had won the election there. He was investigating this, which is way outside his role as a WH official. Was he attempting to get Trump to accept the result? The evidence is to the contrary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Also totally not a coincidence that is the day before Super Tuesuday.

Not at all.

Lmao the only black guy arrested in the Georgia case was denied bail

😂

• Registered Users Posts: 14,876 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,876 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

• Advertisement

He doesn’t need to campaign then, the voters go to the polls.

MAGA pulling the race card.

Imagine that.

Outrage bait falls apart when his woman of color accomplice made bail and didn’t assault a federal officer.

Hahaha amazing this season is brilliant!

This totally won't backfire and get sold over and over again.

How dare the courts schedule a time that’s convenient

He just lost his appeal on trial date, here comes the appeal of the appeal, but wait, there’s more, order now and you receive a free wallet of Trump bucks, good to spend anywhere you’re not allowed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,661 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Exactly. As Trump is so happy to tell everyone he is so far ahead in the polls its not even a contest.

The guy didn't even bother to turn up for the debate do bit rich of him to complain about court cases getting in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Is Tanya Chutkan, a Trump nominated judge now the 'Trump Hating Judge'?

Why is he not constantly called a rapist in the media? It's because they would be sued for defamation, because it's not true. You can say it if you want though, over and over if you wish.

Also you can take the time to search and come up with a long counter argument, I'll still be laughing at the derangement and won't click.

She's an Obama appointee.

Why is he not constantly called a rapist in the media? It's because they would be sued for defamation, because it's not true. You can say it if you want though, over and over if you wish.

Fanciful logic. Anyway I await the defamation lawsuit against CBS - oh what's that he already sued and lost and was confirmed a rapist.

Also you can take the time to search and come up with a long counter argument, I'll still be laughing at the derangement and won't click

Refreshing of a pigeon poster to self identify

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,647 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Why doesnt he sue the state of New York for defamation then?

I suppose you have to laugh away when the alternative is realising you are defending a rapist and sexual predator. This is the hill you choose you stand and defend Trump on?

When it comes to his reputation in matters sexual Trump has no good name left to defend.

I must have missed the posts where you criticised Trump for what the jury found him liable for?

But sure the people who call Trump a rapist are the one suffering a derangement.

What Trump was found liable for would fall under both the legal and common understanding of rape in this jurisdiction.

Trump is a rapist and you defend his name.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement