Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Western Rail Corridor / Rail Trail Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Lines which won't happen in any of our lifetimes.

What is the point of a report like this?

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Westernview

The predictable glass-half full brigade out in force here - unable to focus on the positive aspects of the report relating specifically to the WRC. Too busy talking about cycle tracks and lines in other parts of the country.

Great to see WRC being included in phase 1 of schedule of works. Looking forward to seeing the line up and running in the years to come.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

If Tuam-Claremorris does open, it presents a right headache for TII. 4 level crossings on the N17 will be a proper pain.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Tomorrow's 18:44 from Ennis to Gort takes 47 minutes to complete this journey, about 30km. What's the story there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Yes,

The southerly LC is on a stretch of road due to be improved, isn't it?

The two LC either side of Ballindine could be removed by building a new 1km railway line east of the village.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

It's waiting for another train to pass. They really need a passing loop halfway between those towns.

Given the plan to increase line speeds, one would assume new bridges are included in the plans. Especially with a pricetag of 4-600m

Half a billion to run a line between Claremorris and Athenry, feck me but the boom times are getting boomier as Bertie would say

That being said, there isn't a snowballs chance this will pass the PSC review at that price tag. Maybe, and its a massive maybe, if the price tag includes multiple P&R's, a greenway alongside, a high frequency schedule, 6am to midnight running and so on, it might. In other words, a massively attractive service that will see significant modal shift.

Otherwise you're looking at spending this to run the same numbers as the WRC phase 1 or lower, on a service that will be slower than the bus equivalent, running maybe 3-4 times a day, at (best case) 2 hr intervals. All while leaving the main Galway-Dublin line with significant portions still being single track into the 2050's.

Honestly if this goes ahead, if its not double tracked (or at least CPO'ed to allow for it later) then its just a stupid fkin idea from the get-go as it'll be doomed until the next century to be a shite service with zero possibility of improvement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭StudentDad

I welcome the day when I can hop on a train on the Westport - Dublin line and get to Galway. Granted I'll have to change in Claremorris and again in Athenry. Hell of an improvement on Westport - Athlone - change - Athlone - Galway. Perhaps, even go on to Limerick or Cork. No car needed. Happy days.

You can already do that

• bus route 456
    • runs 5 times a day, every 3 hrs from 6am to 6pm,
    • 2 hr journey time
    • 13.50 eur one way fare
    • No changeovers

Thats a shite service and one I don't think WRC phase 2 would even hope to come close to

• Advertisement

Except it's a bus. Not a fan of buses. If I'm going to get stuck in traffic, I'll take my car.

The connection of the rail makes a longer journey possible.

Don't forget your sandwiches, you'll need them for your 4-5 hr journey

Thanks. I couldn't possibly forget my sandwiches. The horror! I also won't have to deal with traffic, random speed traps, idiots who can't drive, crap weather, road works, parking etc etc etc. Plus, as the train is used and demand increases the services will improve. If the service improves sufficiently I may even be able to get rid of the car. Fancy that, no car tax, insurance, fuel bills, maintenance costs etc. To my mind the car is a depreciating necessity that just costs me money. If I could say goodbye to it I would.

I'd definitely be more likely to travel south when the route opens. Much nicer way to travel longer distances and avoiding the fatigue that comes with driving.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it, but it will be a rural single line track. There'll be damn all scope for improvement. Just look at WRC phase 1, despite a massive subvention, free parking, reduced fares, it barely registers any meaningful usage which means its never going to get any better.

I'm 100% for rail investment, I'm a regular user as I've already ditched the car, but this is not smart rail investment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Why couldn’t there be a service from Galway to Westport that doesn’t require changes? Am I missing something? 4-5 hours?

We are very good at spending money on things that never happen in this country. I call it the Steak Dinner Tax. We're going to do X, right, better go out to dinner to discuss it etc etc. All that aside, getting a rail line that is functional is the important first step. If the bloody thing worked 100 years ago, it'll bloody well work now. As it stands getting in and out of Galway is great fun by car. Parking? Good luck! Buses, great in theory, but again you wind up in said traffic. This is a tiny island and getting around it is hilarious. Don't get me wrong. Want to go see the back end of the Dingle Peninsula? Great, get a bus or a car or a skateboard. However, if you want to go from Sligo to Galway to Limerick etc., there ought to be a proper train service that is reliable, frequent and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. As it stands Galway is choked with cars. We need something to cut through all of that costly nonsense and more roads and cars doesn't do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Demand, most likely. One train would handle as many passengers as four or five coaches.

You would have maybe one direct train e/w a day, but otherwise have to connect at least once, possibly twice.

All that aside, getting a rail line that is functional is the important first step.

We have very different definitions of "functional" I think

If the bloody thing worked 100 years ago, it'll bloody well work now.

Herein lies the crux of why the WRC phase 1, and likely phase 2, will always be a crap service, aiming for the equivalent of a 100 year old service standard.

Aim higher ffs

As it stands getting in and out of Galway is great fun by car. Parking? Good luck! Buses, great in theory, but again you wind up in said traffic. This is a tiny island and getting around it is hilarious. Don't get me wrong. Want to go see the back end of the Dingle Peninsula? Great, get a bus or a car or a skateboard. However, if you want to go from Sligo to Galway to Limerick etc., there ought to be a proper train service that is reliable, frequent and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. As it stands Galway is choked with cars. We need something to cut through all of that costly nonsense and more roads and cars doesn't do that.

Galway congestion can, for the most part, be addressed by a carrot and stick approach

1. park & strides on all main routes into the city served by
    2. bus lane & bus priority measures with high frequency services
    3. a protected bike lane network and protected junctions
    4. increased permeability and priority crossing for pedestrians
    5. commuter rail
    6. congestion charging along with removal of on-street parking and addition of both workplace and commercial parking levies. Basically, apart from a driveway, there should be zero free parking in the city

WRC phase 2 would have minimal impact. WRC runs 5 services a day to Galway with abysmal PAX numbers. The only station making WRC phase 1 look viable is Oranmore and its not even on the WRC phase 1 line.

You want to build phase 2 to Claremorris, cool, lash ahead, but build it as I laid out to ensure its an attractive service from Day 1, not year 50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Two changes would not be required.

I presume the services would be as follows:

Westport-Claremorris-Athone-Dublin, like now.

Ballina-Claremorris-Athenry-Galway

One change required, at Claremorris.

Before we can start talking about this, Galway to Athenry must be doubled.

• Advertisement

According to the government and the AIRR, moving containers from road to rail will be the main justification for opening the rail but we will gladly take the passenger option too of course. The line is shovel ready which should see it open sooner rather than later in comparison with a lot of the other upgrades.

The pressure of climate action has shifted the governments priorities so it looks like its going to happen. Claremorris and Tuam in particular should benefit in a big way from the new connectivity. It's something to look forward to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

What containers ?

Port of cork container terminal was rail connected , and had a large rail container yard at north esk , its all been off rail for decades , i'm not sure how connected dublin port container terminal is , but i doubt if it is , bellview in waterford is still connected

, containers are used exclusively for import / export , the ports were set up for this , but got out of it decades ago- before our motorway system was anyway decent ,

a study of freight types, its origins and destinations might be wise, theyre not going to be collecting milk or delivering the shopping by train

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Freight on Rail is not inherently more efficent than road , it is for high volume -long distance, point to point ..

So the reopening of the foynes line - for mine traffic - great

Sending shipping containers to waterford from the north west - great ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

What do you mean what containers? Containers transferring from road to rail by industry that's what.

Couldn't follow the rest of your points between the lack of full stops and punctuation. You had me lost a long time before you said something about milk and shopping.

Dublin has rail connections for containers and has had container traffic in recent years.

My point was how much industry,or commerce is there in the north west ,or in wexford that uses containerised, or bulk transport.

Obviously anything in wexford is already near Belview .

And theres already one freight service in the north west,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Decades

I'm coming in late to the Rail Report debate and apologies if I'm talking over ye a bit- but it's a total dog's vomit for the West. WOT have already started eating themselves over the missing Sligo link, Tuam sees nothing but a fading sub-headline, with Barry Kenny only adding vagueness to blandness with his comments in the Tuam Herald. Nothing to see here for the WRC I'm afraid- and that applies to all sides of both sides. Crap graffiti artists, long-acre pony grazers and self-deluded or cute whore promise makers- the only winners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭cgcsb

This report, if implemented (lol), would be as good as could possibly be expected for the west. Double track, hourly service Galway to Dublin and Westport to Dublin, greatly reduced journey time. Sligo to Dublin also benefiting from hourly trains double tracking and a bypassing of the DART from Maynooth. New connection from Clarmorris to the south. What more could be possibly sought? There isn't really even a reasonable business case for what is proposed, never mind additional improvements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Consonata

Given the relative low cost of the ARR and the benefits involved (including more thought into regional development) I think its a no brainer. certainly could far worse. It sets the precedent also that people could take the train from Claremorris to Galway and leaves the door open for further reopening of WRC to be justified over time.

ARR ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

All Ireland Rail Review = AIRR ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Not just that, but running trains through Dublin rather than having them all finish there would free up space in Connolly and Heuston. When you consider that Dublin was a terminus originally because various unconnected lines ran into the city from different parts of the country: Heuston, Harcourt St, Pearse, Connolly and Broadstone. The loop line was built to connect them , but then the railway closures of the 1950s & 60s meant fewer trains were running into the city.

Now things are turning around again, and we need to create more space in the two remaining terminals. The easiest way to do so would be to amalgamate lines, running trains through Dublin and on to a distant destination. Of course the train drivers would have to be involved in the discussions if this was to work, but long-term it will become a necessity. Remember that the population of the country, north and south, has increased by over 50% from the era of line closures, and most of this increase has gone into our cities and our bigger towns, making the market both larger and more urban, meaning more people in the catchment areas of the remaining railway lines.

Yes, Waterford - and Cork - should be prioritised over Rosslare for container traffic. However, with the decrease in cross-channel goods traffic through Rosslare it was inevitable that its capacity would be utilised for continental RoRo freight.

But since independence, and with the exception of the motorways built during the Celtic Tiger era, the Irish state has been appallingly short-sighted regarding major infrastructure.

As in so much else, we follow the island next door. But of course they had vast infrastructure that was built to service their empire, which then became infra-utilised when the empire disappeared and was no longer tied to mother England's apron strings. They had plenty of infrastructure which they were able to re-purpose as needed, while we did not, and with a relatively stable population from 1920 to 1970, there was little need for major infrastructure projects, other than whatever growth happened in our few cities.

This has changed, and we now need to plan for our future, and part of this planning involves improving services throughout the country in order to improve our people's lives. It's not all about the bottom line - this is a country, not a company. We live in a society where we - hopefully - look out for one another, not an "economy".

These are all good projects and should be supported.

However, I cannot see that the Ballina-Rosslare was a "failed alignment" any more than Harcourt St-Bray was a failed alignment. They were both closed for perceived financial savings. Times have changed - how can it be a mistake to re-lay the tracks from Athenry to Tuam, one of Connacht's largest towns? How can it be a mistake to connect Claremorris (a not insubstantial town, and in previous times an important rail hub, connected to 6 different destinations) to Tuam, and on to Limerick, Limerick Junction and on to Waterford and hopefully eventually to Roslare too?

Remember that this is not a new line: it is merely laying down new tracks and associated infrastructure, along with whatever other modernisation might be required, a fairly simple process compared with the planned twenty-five km of undersea tunnels being planned in the Faroes to connect the island of Suðuroy and its 4,600 people to the rest of the Faroes.

We really need to get over ourselves in this country, our infrastructure is very, very cheap to build compared to many other countries.

Yes, he made a mistake about Claremorris. However, relaying the line will connect all three larger towns, with a population of 30,000 (before considering their immediate environs) to Athenry.. Probably more like 50,000 when the immediate hinterland of those 3 towns and Claremorris itself are all included.

Isn't it funny how many people are against the reinstatement of this line from Rosslare to Mayo? It will (re-)connect Mayo to two, no, three important ports - Limerick, Waterford and Rosslare - relieving pressure on Dublin port.

Who would not be in favour of this, and what rationale could they have?

The car lobby, of course; those who think the country outside the M50 is really just there for them to visit but doesn't exist in its own right; those who run Dublin port and want to expand it, and capture all the available resources - these are three sets of people who have some vested interest in stifling development outside Dublin. I'm sure other posters could can add to the list.

In many ways they remind me of the people who stymied the development of tram lines in Dublin for over a decade. I'm not sure that that was ever properly explained, but there are certain key people in Irish public life whose foreign bank accounts I'd be very interested in examining.

Mayo is already connected to Waterford port, with existing rail freight flows. Rosslare does not handle rail freight.

And the nightmare that is driving into Galway city from the M6, and then of course trying to park there. The same applies to other Irish cities, Dublin, Cork, Belfast ...

€100m seems a lot of money, but in reality it is very small beer these days. There are people who have won more on the lottery. To put it into context, it's no more than the equivalent of 3 or 4 drinks in a pub per person in the state.

There's a building being built in Dublin that is costing more than 10 times as much, as Mo Mowlam said in a meeting to some unionist politicians back in the 1990s, "Lads, don't get your knickers in a twist"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

some people are just wedded to the old style thinking that the railway is still in decline and is being operated as a managed decline.

we are slowly shifting that mindset but it is going to take time.

even irish rail management still have that mentality with a couple of lines even though usership is increasing dispite **** services.

we will get there, but it is going to take a big push and we will succeed in that push.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

it is but it is via a route that goes through the congested kildare area.

a direct curve to avoid reversal could be possible, but given athenry to claremorris is going to be reinstated anyway eventually then may as well hold out and direct the freight that way i guess.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

One of our problems is that we seem unable to think outside the box.

Do trains need to be five carriages long? Could we not have shorter, more frequent trains, depending on demand on a given line, of even just two-carriage railcars? I've travelled on these on the continent, and for improved frequency on low-demand lines they are hard to beat.

Mayo is already connected to Waterford port

How so? Do you mean running trains into Dublin, and then turning them around and travelling out again?

No, the trains do not run to Dublin.

Are you aware of what freight services actually exist?

Anyone have a go on the velorail yet? It appears to be pretty crap by this report

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Economics101

Shorter, more frequent trains? You would need extra line capacity for that (more crossing loops, shorter block sections). You would also nee many more train crews. Furthermore an existing 4 ot 5 carriage ICR train may do four to six trips in a day. Some of these will be fairly empty, but one or two will be at peak times, and full. You can't tailor train size to always exactly meet demand.

Having said that, I would love to see greater frequency on the Limerick Jcn-Waterfors and the Nenagh lines. On the Limerick-Ennis-Athenry line, there is a dire need for a passing loop at Sixmilebridge before you can do much about frequency.

Sorry, I haven't been here in a while.

It's not a question of what services exist, it's about how the services are delivered. There is no line between Claremorris and Athenry, so trains from Mayo have to go at least as far east as Kildare; I'm not aware of a loop connecting the Western route to the Waterford line, so I presume the engine has to decouple and travel back down the line to the nearest points, and then be re-attached to the end of the train - if it is to to then travel down the Waterford line. If there is an alternative to this, I'd be happy to learn of it.

Very true, and while the current infrastructure doesn't allow everything we might like, surely the whole point of the discussion is to suggest alternatives that we could plan for?

More passing loops, more train crews? Well I never!

You seem to be saying things should stay the same, and we should not try to improve the service. At least that is what I'm reading here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Economics101

I'm not saying that things should stay the same. THere is a case for doing some relatively quick and relatively inexpensive improvements to enhance the capacity of the existing network. This does not preclude other more ambitious projects. The problem with the latter is that they are subject to so many consultants' reports, planning foul-ups etc, that hey never get done. So press ahead with smaller measures, which at least stand a chance.

You remind me here of the lost opportunity to get the Luas up and running in the 1990s.

So what smaller measures were you thinking of? Did you actually intend to propose more trains crews and more passing points? Re the latter, there are lots of closed down stations, and many if not all of them would have had a siding that could be turned into a passing point at no great cost.

• Advertisement
Advertisement