Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Tree Reproduction

Options
  • 28-08-2023 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

I have a very nice apple tree in my garden and I would love to reproduce it. How do I go about this? Would air layering be a successful method?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭gk5000

Look up grafting apple trees.

You have to graft a piece of your tree on to a new rootstock, normally early spring.It's tricky but doable - try doing 5 and hopefully one works.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

do you know the variety?

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Mach Two

I don't know the variety. It's a desert apple. Photo attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

I had a old apple tree knocked completely over by storm Darwin in 2014, always had beautiful red eating apples on it...it stayed growing even though it was lying on ground and new growths started on the trunk so I cut a few off the following year and got them grafted in seedsavers in Clare...they grafted 2 and I planted them and they have grown very well and they have exactly the same red apple as the mother tree and probably even nicer bigger apples as these trees are young and vigorous unlike the mother tree going into old age.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Mach Two

How about air layering?

• Advertisement
Advertisement