Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Ben Healy has never played for Glasgow.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

There is zero point comparing anything between them though. If Sexton could make one game in 5 you'd probably still start him for that one game. Also a Sexton at 90% is likely still our best flyhalf, an Earls at 100% is just about our best 4th choice wing.

Russell being selected ahead of Sexton reflects poorly on only one person, and it's Gatland.

I don't hold that against Russell cause that would be stupid. I just don't think he's particularly amazing because the totality of what he does on a rugby pitch backs up that viewpoint. He is the definition of a highlights reel player.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

That's fair enough and that's your opinion.

However, if Russell played in a dominant Leinster or Irish set up, my guess your view would be different.

• Advertisement

I don't think Leinster or Ireland would be dominant with Russell at 10 🤷‍♀️

As has been brought up repeatedly, his failure to play a kicking/lineout focused game against a team with no hooker in the 6N is an absolutely appalling black mark against his game management skills. What explains it away?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

i thought russell was overrated way before that. i dont think sexton was playing that well at the time either tbh

shunned by his country but he was good enough to be courted by another and has made their world cup squad with very little international experience....

i dunno what youre talking about with glasgow tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭mun1

I would much prefer to have Finn Russell as my outhalf than a 38 year old who i hope gets back up to speed after 6 months out of the game. Sexton of 3-4 years ago is a different question, but thats not what we have now.

face it, Gatland made the right choice at the time , albeit the players he picked as better than sexton didnt play well for the Lions. Get over it, stop tormenting yourself and get behind the Irish squad for next weeks World Cup . Believe !

Sexton of "literally the last time he played" is a far better plater than Russell. It's not remotely close, which is why one team is number one in the world on a significant winning streak and the other can never string significantly good performances together.

I'm not remotely tormenting myself. I'm very happy and confident that we have, still, one of the best 10s in the world in our team.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I am saying the hype for Healy is 100% due to him playing for Munster and choosing to leave.

If he had been buried on the depth chart for year and then flashed a few times off the bench for any other team, for example Glasgow, he wouldn't have anywhere close to the hype he does within Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

shunned by his country

Ben Healy was not shunned by anyone. He just wasn't selected because he wasn't good enough. Unless we're saying 99.9% of rugby players in Ireland were also "shunned".

The critism of the Ireland coaches for not selecting Healy is completely retrospective because he had a good game in a friendly v Italy and a few decent performances towards the end of last season when he had already committed his future to Scotland. He form prior to that never warranted Ireland selection.

i wasnt agreeing that he was shunned, i was quoting the post that i was responding to

i have been a fan of healy for alot longer than that and while i wouldnt have had him involved in this rwc most likely, i thought he was the best for 2027 out of the options at the time

if he never warranted selection why was BOD saying he could be brought to NZ last summer?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

But if your argument is that you’re concerned about Earls starting vs Romania and Tonga because of his injury profile last season, would you not be even more concerned about Sexton?

I don’t think it’s all that controversial tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

Duncan Weir also has one (Pro 12) winner's medal.

#Justice4Dunky

honestly, i think weir was pretty underrated tbh. wasnt the best attacker but was fairly solid

I think even if you were more concerned about Sexton you would pick him anyway. Whereas if you are concerned about Earls picking someone else is a live option. So basically you pick Sexton and take more antacids to deal with the stress because there is no other realistic option (and, one could argue, not doing this cost the Lions their last tour). The risk/reward calc is completely different.

For what it's worth, I'm fine with the Earls selection (if unenthused). But it is not a good comparison.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

No one is saying not to pick Sexton. My point is with regards their injury profile which is where this originated from.

If you’re worried about Earls due to his injury profile, even tho he’ll only start against Romania and / or Tonga but for injury (games we’ll very likely win anyways), then, by definition, you must be exceptionally worried about Sexton, who has a similar injury profile in the last year, and is a much more important player, and will have a significantly bigger impact on the outcome of games in the RWC.

They have a similar injury profile Last season. Losing Sexton to injury is of way more consequence. Yet here we are discussing Earls.

Yes, because one of them is far more replaceable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

South Africa have been on a steady upward curve? I think they've been very up and down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭ersatz

Beaten by NZ but otherwise '23 has been a fairly decent year of development for them. And close losses to France and Ireland in Nov showed what needed to be done. I wouldn't get carried away with the Twickenham game but Im sure its a confidence booster for them and a match match that might have them feeling like its all clicked at the right time.

• Advertisement

You sound a bit like Shane Horgan??

Think that game showed a lack of leadership more than anything. Scotland did a lot of things wrong that day highlighted by not kicking to touch. (As a ten there's times to kick and times to run it through phase to create a kicking opportunity. It would probably be easier to find a kicking opportunity out wide with your wingers as the opposing wing pushes up.) Don't believe Scotland won a single turnover at the lineout because they didn't put a jumper at the front. Any Ireland were dominant in that second and rightly pulled away. As I recall Sexton was god awful that day so I suppose you don't a need a performing ten to win test matches as you like to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

He absolutely was shunned by someone - Munster.

He got a few starts in September when everything is mixed up, internationals are away, etc. Between the end of September, when Crowley and Carbery were both available, and the end of the season he started a grand total of 3 games. He played so little European rugby it might as well have been none, think it was a single sub appearance. He was not remotely in the shop window.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

What’s amusing is seeing all these posts talking up a player with the only actual support behind those posts being what someone else said. You haven’t been able to actually discuss Russell as a player at all. The things he does well, the things he does badly and why the former outweigh the latter. It’s easy to have an opinion on something and easy to sneer. What’s not so easy is to have a rational, objective, concise and clear adult discussion with someone on a topic. You know, like you’d do on a discussion forum.

Ha, it’s handy to have that recollection. It’s not accurate but it is handy.

IIRC you were talking player ratings before (as though they meant something). I wonder what the player ratings say about that game…

Russell gets a 7, Sexton gets an 8. This from a Scottish rugby blog.

Another 8 for Sexton here.

And another 8 for Sexton.

He gets a 6 here.

Here we have a 7 from a British outlet.

Heres an English outlet giving Russell a 6.5 and Sexton an 8.

Your certainty on stuff is matched only by your inaccuracy. But keep it up. It’s amusing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

He started the first 4 games of the season (when Carbery and/or Crowley were available) He was on the bench for two of the next 3 games. He then told Munster he was leaving and disappeared for a few months. Nobody is suggesting that he should have been in the senior squad based on those performances.

However when it came to the EI tour to SA he was ignored while Frawley and Flannery travelled. On what he had done in the previous few seasons he should definitely have been ahead of those two for that tour.

Can you highlight a post were I based my support on what some else said?

This is an Irish 15 discussion group the last time I checked. How FR got dragged into it is beyond me. Couple of disparaging posts that I disagreed with but I didn't particuly want to deep dive.

We all know what FR brings to a rugby match, a running and playmaking ten with all the tricks to booth. From a fan perspective he keeps people on the edge of their seat and I know I will be tuning in to all Scotland games because there box office because FR.

He of course as many posts previous have stated, has fallen down in certain games due to game management or a few years ago his work rate.

I think he has matured and the warm up games are testament.

As for Ireland recent performances, I’ve seen some here reference our last 4 games. I was thinking that seemed like a random number of games to look back on until I looked at what game 5 was. The Scotland game where we convincingly won despite very real adversity with injuries. The general mood around Irish rugby after that game was one of huge positivity. Scotland were a coming force that really threatened us and we dispatched them comfortably away from home despite a number of set backs on the day.

Since then we played 1 game in the 6Ns, had a 4 1/2 month break before a scratch team played Italy in basically a pre-season game, our full strength team then played for the first time in pretty much 5 months against an England team that had a few games under their belt before we played another scratch team that in woeful conditions against a good Samoan side. That’s not exactly the most representative sample set of games really, is it?

We’re weeks away from needing to be at our best and while there are definitely areas of concern in the last few weeks, they don’t warrant some of the abject negativity on here from some people who are taking arbitrary facts to support a preconceived position. Most, if not all, of these are fixable things and there have also been positives in there too. We don’t have the depth that France and SA have and will need that bit more luck than them to make it to a final, but if we get that we’re up there with the rest of them in terms of our chances.

Inaccuracy? It's personal opinion.

That last thing I will ever do when reviewing performance of players - is review ratings from blogs, newspaper or other sites. Make your mind up for yourself, you can have an opinion too

That’s a bit more like it. Actually discussing the topic without sneering. That I can get behind.

Youre right, he does seem to be maturing somewhat. And if he can then he could be genuinely great. He has the skill set. But we haven’t seen him put together a run of performances in games that really matter. The warm ups don’t really matter. Until he does, you can’t blame people for falling back on the performances we’ve seen in the likes of the 6Ns or HEC. And those performances have been very mixed.

Thst said, he is box office. I’d hate to be a Scot, but you can generally bank on him providing big moments. Not all good. The French game this year was one of the most up and down performances I’ve seen from any player in a big game in years. Massive plays and massive errors both making big impacts on the game. It was entertaining, but if I were a Scot I’d have been pulling my hair out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Breaking news!! Sexton is better than Russel!!

@Iamabeliever made an interesting point

As a ten there's times to kick and times to run it through phase to create a kicking opportunity. It would probably be easier to find a kicking opportunity out wide with your wingers as the opposing wing pushes up.

Case in point was the excellent kick from Crowley to Hansen for the JOB try.

Something Sexton needs to do v SA.

The SA blitz can be exposed if you can set up that cross field kick.

https://x.com/rterugby/status/1695511731445879119?s=46&t=LZNAt8uQdNSsqynXTsT0dw

Advertisement