Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone getting an Apple Watch Ultra?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,439 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

any joy with getting this to work? i imagine if you were able to set up the samsung you should be able to set up the apple watch ..unless apple have locked out countries that don't have esim enabled for wearables...

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭turfthrower

I had some glass screen protector on it but I took it off a week or so ago. I wanted to just see how durable the screen is and to be honest, it seems like it's pretty tough. No scratches and the watch looks as good as when it was new.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

Thanks for your that. How about the body and durability? I’ve an iPhone 13 Pro Max with a glass protector on the screen with the rest naked and love the feel of it in my hand without a case. Now I’m pretty careful with it on a day to day basis.

It's completely unmarked. Been wearing it for two months and it still looks like it did on day one. I can't see any marks or scratches on it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭sean72

Just wondering if anyone managed to esim working on the Ultra and if so how’d you go about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Edit, Just read back on comments and see that they only make cellular Ultra’s. So does that mean, that it’s just a software switch for apple to turn on for when operates begin the roll out of eSim’s?

Does anywhere sell the apple Watch Ultra Cellular version in Ireland? I would. like to get the cellular version to future proof it for when eSim is released in Ireland.

Has anyone purchased a cellular version of the Ultra or S8 and if so would you have a link or let me know where you got it

BobbyT28

was giving my ultra a clean this morning and thought I'd share some pics. I have owned every Apple Watch since series 2 and I've gotta say, this one is lasting the best. I've had it since launch, and I'm rough on my watches. They are almost always scratched and banged up, and this one is still IMMACULATE.

This one has banged off walls and doors, worn on hikes and on rural trips into the wilds in the Far East and has basically not been taken care of at all. And yet it literally looks like it's fresh out of the box.

It's MUCH tougher than than the previous main line Watches. Just an FYI for anyone who has held off buying one. I think these are not the same beasts as the previous models.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭mun1

I will second That. Mine has gone a few rounds with walls, the ground etc and still looks like new. Best Apple Watch I’ve owned.

• Advertisement

Mine is arriving tomorrow, excited to get it now!

any recommendations on chargers mounts of holders for the watch

Any update of Apple Watch Ultra cellular being enabled by operators?

is it possible to add a esim to my iPhone and use the Apple Watch with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Homer

New Vodafone TV adverts would appear

to say yes but I haven’t had a chance to call in store to ask. When I got my US purchased iPhone esim activated last December it was a separate esim for each device. Would be nice to be able to use the full functionality of the ultra watch!

Yeah was hoping after I purchased it that it would enabled!! So bloody annoying!

Does anyone know the reason why the operators haven’t enabled this feature? Can’t be a cost thing surely!!

Spoke to Vodafone online chat this morning and they are only offering the one number phone/watch functionality to android users for some daft reason 💁🏻‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Craigels

Would you purchase a watch ultra now or wait until October to see what’s announced

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭PaulT21

Rumours of a darker coloured watch, Dark Titanium , so maybe wait until that announcement to see if its going to happen. If there are any upgrades, the current model might drop slightly in price and be better value, fingers crossed  😀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

If Vodafone don’t announce cellular functionality for the Apple Watch when the next iteration launches next month I give up. Probably makes sense for them not to launch it immediately and wait until the next Watch is released. If they don’t launch it I dunno. It’s bonkers at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Interesting (to me anyway!!) in that the cellular function of any Apple Watch Ultra bought in the USA won't work with an iPhone using a European sim/plan without a degree of hacking.

No big deal at present as there is no cellular function SIM plans for Apple Watches in Ireland, but that might change.

Well you can get an eSIM for an Apple Watch in Ireland ok but it’s a separate eSIM to your phone eSIM which would be daft but possible 😀

• Advertisement

This video came up on my profile this morning, and it reminded me of the posts I made after about 6 months of wearing an Ultra.

So now, nearly a year since launch, I thought I'd post up again and say my Ultra is absolutely pristine. There is literally not a mark on it, no scratches, no dings or anything. It literally looks like it's fresh out of the box. I've never had an Apple Watch that didn't show its age in some way after a year.

I also just checked the battery health and after a year of solid daily wear, it's at 98 per cent. That's nuts. I suppose it's because it gets charged less regularly because the battery lasts longer. It's charging cycles that age a battery and damage its capacity. So less charge cycles equals better longevity.

In the video above, the dude says you can get a second hand Ultra for 500 dollars. That's nuts. I checked on Adverts.ie there and the cheapest I could see was €649. I think that's a great deal. A second hand Ultra has YEARS and YEARS of pristine use in front of it, whereas a normal Apple Watch will end up scratched and showing its age.

These things should hold their value really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Clear sign that a new Ultra is on the way as I notice that many UK retailers have reduced it to £669 from the RRP of £849. £669 is about €780 compared to the apple.ie price of €1000.... A nice saving.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I saw that myself when looking at second hand prices, 650€ used or 780€ new seems a no brainer, or wait and spend 1k for the black colour, seem like no really new features are expected?

So no new colours at all, but feature improvements a bit more than expected. I’d really have preferred a black model, surprised they failed to get material right again. The fact they are using pvd coating on the black phone 15 pro I presume why they didn’t offer the Watch in black , it’s notorious for scuffing

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Maestro84

Good to see the price of the Ultra reduced to €899 for the new model.

I was expecteing it to increase and not decrease by €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

No mention of additional countries for the cellular version and no mention by Vodafone about adding functionality for it either 🙄. Jesus, are we ever going to see it here?!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭arsebiscuits82

I have the current Ultra and have a random question. Yesterday I left my phone at home, I was 50km away at work and I received text messages that were sent to me on the watch.

How does that work? Phone was connected to home wifi if it makes a difference.

Have the watch about 5 months now, cannot fault it one bit.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Your watch can connect to Wi-Fi without your phone, and the messages are synced via iCloud.

It’s the same as how you can receive messages on a Mac without having to have your phone close by.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭lotas

i ordered mine last night... the 100 quid discount was nice... was not expecting that. still no news on Vodafone about OneSim working on it... Now waiting till Friday to order my 15 Pro Max. Of note, upgrading from a Series 7 watch and a 12 Pro Max phone.

• Advertisement

I was all set for the ultra 1 from Amazon for 650gbp ~ 780, but the ultra 2 at 899 seems like a much better deal now, 120€ saving for the older chip doesn’t seem enough. It’s just a pity we didn’t see the new colours. Really not overly keen on the titanium finish, the best thing about the all black watch with aftermarket black straps is how inconspicuous it is.

Advertisement