Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ire v Samoa 19:45pm - On RTÉ Two

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Mod: If you have an issue with a post report it. Don’t accuse someone of being a troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,264 ✭✭✭✭phog

I still haven't seen the game, heard it while driving home from Dublin, the real disappointment for me was Healy's injury.

We've seen this before but it's horrible for a player to lose out at the last minute through an injury. Even worse when it's your last RWC.

It will be interesting to watch the match back now having read the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭ShineyShiney

This is a pretty wild response man. Maybe have a think about what it might be that has caused you such offense.

An anonymous person on the internet has a different opinion on 1 out of 15 players than you so they must be un-knowledgeable and a troll. Chill out a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

The learning curve for the Samoan players must be enormous. They’d be quite the team if they played together more often.

You might be mixing up my post with another, I didn't call anything disjointed. I thought that we played last night without 12 of my first choice selection which I felt added some context to the result. I think we are in a pretty good place with a few players chasing their best form.

I like what McCarthy brings, I think Beirne at this point isn't at the top end of his form and I'd play McCarthy. I also like that it would free Ryan to play the other side of the scrum. I don't think it's likely that Farrell will do it but it's what I'd do. Bearing in mind the opposition for our next two games I don't think it's that much of a stretch. Like he's good enough to have been included in the squad as one of 4 second rows, I didn't pick him from the crowd like.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I mean, fine. That's all relatively reasonable, but its a stretch to go from there to a statement that we were missing 12 of our first choice team which is what you said. McCarthy is not in our first choice team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭crossman47

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

I take your point, had I said MY first choice it would have been better. I'd be happy to restate it as 11 of my first choice. It wouldn't really change the point of the post. I think we are in a decent place and I'm not unduly perturbed by last night's performance considering it was largely our reserve selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭ersatz

Someone said Farrell announced the squad to the team before the game. I wonder was Healy in that named squad and then replaced due to injury. I'm sure he was but would be interesting to have it confirmed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

He scored a try therefore he is good?

Fantastic analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭crossman47

You're the one said he was atrocious. The Times today gives him a mark of 7, one of the higher marks. I'm afraid too many people on here join in a pile in on certain players even though the evidence doesn't back it up. Murray is a current target - a year or two back it was POM and we know how that so called analysis turned out. Murray is a valuable member of the squad for his strength and experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

with this sort of brain power, i think its time to un-bookmark this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

A win is a win is a win. Cant really complain how Ireland have fared through these warm-ups.

Checked off almost all of the most important things:

1. A win. Tick x3
    2. No Injuries to key players. Tick x12 (Porter, Sheehan!, Furlong, Ryan, Beirne, vdF, Doris, JGP, Ringrose, Lowe, Hansen, Keenan)
    3. Key players looking fit and sharp. Almost. Furlong? and ?Sexton?

Biggest bonus has been Crowley. He should start v Tonga and bench v SA.

Biggest disappointments is loosing Healy. He took it on the chin. Says everything.

Thought the forward pack again struggled. Samoa dominant in nearly all of the contact areas. Baird & Doris did well.

Herring and Ryan made a big difference. Good to see LO finally clicked again.

I think it has to be Aki or McCloskey at 12 v SA and maybe 20.Baird

I know it probably should be 19.Henderson but I would be strongly tempted to go with McCarthy if he has a beast of a game v Tonga.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Watched the game again last night and was struck by how powerful Baird looked when he got the ball, he was really pumped up, I think he could have a great tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

Only got the chance to watch this game back tonight. A few guys need to find form v Romania and Tonga. Henderson, Henshaw and Beirne in particular.

Felt sorry for Tom Stewart, was a really hard day at the office for him. But he's young, so hopefully it's just part of the learning curve.

VdF was quiet too and was outmuscled by the Samoan pack and his opposite number Fritz Lee. That hasn't happened him in a long time either.

Crowley mixed the sublime with some silly errors but again this is part of the learning curve for a promising player.

McCloskey was poor, and with Henshaw struggling to find form outside him, we were obliterated in midfield.

Herring was MoM really, changed the scrum and lineout when he came on. Ryan and POM showed leadership and urgency too when brought on.

What p*ssed me off more than anything though was us not respecting the quality of the opposition and refusing to take kicks at goal, especially when our lineout was horse manure. Case in point just before the Samoan try. We kick to the corner, lose the ball and it ends up with Samoa scoring an intercept try and then a 3 pointer of their own. It wasn't an easy kick but even if Crowley had missed it we would have been receiving the drop off.

We did the same again near the end with a much easier opportunity when 17-13 ahead. Would have put a confidence denting defeat out of the equation. We were damn lucky that Samoa first missed a touch and then Ryan disrupted a lineout in tenuous enough circumstances.

That kind of decision making boils my p*ss. It's the same thing that cost Leinster a 5th star this year and we need to stop it ASAP. England won a WC kicking their goals and we need to learn that lesson pronto.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Also really impressed with Baird chasing down the tryscorer, im convinced if there was another 10 metres he would have caught him. He left Crowley for dead in that run. Serious wheels on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭ersatz

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭fitz

I expect it it was a pool/knockout game, we'd have kicked those penalties. They may have been trying to get as much lineout practice in as possible, given the issues the previous week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,264 ✭✭✭✭phog

What p*ssed me off more than anything though was us not respecting the quality of the opposition and refusing to take kicks at goal, especially when our lineout was horse manure. Case in point just before the Samoan try. We kick to the corner, lose the ball and it ends up with Samoa scoring an intercept try and then a 3 pointer of their own. It wasn't an easy kick but even if Crowley had missed it we would have been receiving the drop off.

I watched the game after knowing the result and when I saw us get that penalty, I went with the option to kick to the corner, regardless of how the lineout went it was the correct decision to go for it.

In a knockout game of rugby it could well still be the correct decision to go for it too but I bet in a tight game we'd kick at goal.

SOB was kind of Irelands secret weapon going into the Australia game at the 2011 WC. Even though Baird has been around longer than SOB was at that time I think he has the potential to be Irelands breakout player at this WC.

Conan makes allot of sense on the bench but I think Baird will give them much needed dynamism v SA.

He is that power athlete we haven't had since Ferris.

This 7 forwards from the bench nonsense from Erasmus is all just bluff and bravado. And distasteful! But there is no doubting the impact they can bring from the bench.

McCarthy and Baird (and hopefully Kelleher) are Irelands best options to match it.

Yea that makes complete sense. It was the correct thing to do and badly needed. LO and maul really clicked after Herring and Ryan came on.

Some of Crowleys kicks to touch were really exceptional.

Who would people pick for the bench for SA - Herring or Kelleher?

I think I would go with Herring right now primarily because of his set piece. Although Ireland will probably need that power from Kelleher in the loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,345 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The 7/1 split will eventually blow up in someone’s face

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭fitz

I was at RWC 2011, and that Australia game was glorious, our pack were incredible that day. Savage banter with the Aussie fans on the walk/pub crawl from the fanzone to the stadium, and the celebrations afterwards were biblical. NZers treated us like kings after that win too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I was lucky enough to be there that day too. Two huge moments I’ll never forget:

Tommy Bowe’s intercept late on. Was nearly as good as a try.

And, well, this…

• Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Kidney was such a **** coach. Completely wasted the talent on that team.

He wasn't. He was one mistaken selection away from taking Ireland into a semi final. He was a massively decorated, two time Heineken cup winning league coach and a grand slam winning national coach.

His approach was dated by 2011 in a rugby environment that was rapidly adapting. I can remember the way Vern cotter was talking about rugby back then and it's clear the dynamic of the game was shifting a lot.

We saw the influence of this earlier in Leinster through Schmidt - and the style conflict between Leinster and Ireland in 2011 was increasingly apparent. I think this has led to a lot of people dismissing Kidney but in reality he was one of the best of his era.

Probably worth a thread of its own to look at how coaching philosophies have changed within the game and subsequently changed the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

He won a Grand Slam in his first season and went downhill from there. Ireland were blown away by Wales in that 1/4, the Irish team wasn't at the races at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

The game changed in 2009 and Kidney utterly failed to change with it. Every year after 2009 was worse than the one before as he fumbled his way through selection and game plan. I don’t think I’ll ever get over how wasted the back row was for those years after 2009. Ferris, Wallace, SOB and Heaslip. That was some back row. And then we had Healy in his prime, POC and DOC along with Darce and BOD all in great form. And we just got worse and worse. It was infuriating.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Advertisement