Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any bakers here? Is any body here making their own Christmas Cake?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,471 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

We generally double line the tin. We've a good quality tin now.

Before when we had an older tin we used also line it with a cut up cereal box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I still double line my tin, two layers of parchment on the inside and two layers of brown paper on the outside. I have read that it's no longer necessary though as the heat in modern ovens is a lot less intense, compared to years ago. I've always done it, as did my mother, and for the sake of a few extra minutes, I don't want to risk it burning!

I used to always buy Shamrock brand dried fruit, but found the quality went down a few years ago, now it's Dunnes own brand, all the way. Apart from the dark brown sugar, none of the own brands are as dark and as the Shamrock one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

If I was doing 9 or 10 cakes a year I wouldn’t be a brand snob either 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭cobham

Lots of good tips here... I have given up in recent years as only one in house who like c cake and now Glutenfree. I used to make over Oct weekend when working. Washed the fruit first, dried off in linen towel then soak in whiskey and some orange juice and leave for couple of days til time to do mix. Check fruit and dont make mistake of 'pippy' currants like in my last cake. I made a wedding cake recipe once that called for a tin of strawberries! Yes plenty of protection for the tin when in oven even a lid for top of newspaper/greaseproof paper = removed toward end of cook time. Strong brown paper for outside of tin if you can find it... double layer. Shallow basin of water in bottom of oven helps too...

Post edited by cobham on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭tscul32

My grandmother's recipe has tinned strawberries in it too

• Advertisement

I think the strawberry recipe was one from Ranks Flour company ( 40 yrs ago?). The regular recipe I used to make was from a booklet supplied by Stork but used butter instead of stork.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭phormium

One of the first Christmas cakes I made back in I'd say 1977ish had a tin of strawberries too and some dark chocolate, it was a recipe from the nuns! The only one I saw since with the strawberries was a Brenda Costigan one but not really the same I didn't think.

I never 'feed' my Christmas cakes and they last a long time, there is alcohol in with the ingredients alright for flavour, it's the sugar content of mainly the dried fruit that preserves it, the lighter the cake on fruit the shorter it's life span. Same with puddings, make a 'low sugar' version and it will go mouldy, I do make a low sugar one but freeze it. As well as that modern houses can often be just too warm for safe storing of fruit cakes longterm, different years ago when houses were a lot less insulated and plenty of draughts. I keep mine under the stairs in the hall as that is definitely the coolest place in my house anyway. Kitchen presses are usually a bad place, even worse can be utility room if clothes are being dried in their, too much moist air.

We have a north facing room that is never heated and it makes good storage place, we call it the freezer room.

My granny's one must be older than that, she was making it when I was a baby and that was a bit more than 40 years ago. She's gone over 30 years now but I still use her handwritten recipe and her Mason and Cash bowl every year.

We've a receipe that contains tinned Strawberries.

It was by a woman called Brenda Costigan. I think she's in the Irish version of the WI.

She must have been on Live a 3 in the mid 90's.

My mother mailed them a stamped addressed envelope and they sent her her receipies.

• Advertisement

Are tins of strawberries available these days?

Yep, I get my annual tin in tesco, use half for the cake and bin the rest cos they're disgusting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭phormium

Had to laugh at this! It's true of course, I often wonder does anyone actually buy tinned strawberries to eat or just to use in some sort of recipe as they are so awful it's hard to imagine what you'd do with them. Although I do have a friend who makes her strawberry cheesecake with them, couple of tins whizzed up with a strawberry jelly and some cream, had to choke it down a couple of times!

As to what they add to cake, it's moistness mainly, the recipe I used to have had dark chocolate too, don't know what that added other than darkening colour maybe. Think a tin of prunes might do same thing if liquidised, I'd eat the other half tin with custard but some think prunes gross too!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I genuinely smiled at that, I remember my elderly great aunts used to regularly get tinned fruit in syrup as a treat with some cream, and one time it was the turn of tinned strawberries, well whatever my child's eyes & mind were expecting were shattered when I saw the contents of the tin being poured into a bowl... yuck. I remember tasting them too, and they were vile mushy sickly sweet things.... double yuck. I admire anyone even using them in a recipe for cake, i love my fruitcake far too much to have something that yucky potentially spoil it. If it needed sweetness I'd add golden syrup or brown sugar to avoid that monstrosity potenially ruin the cake for me.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

I honestly don't know. I make if for my dad's family and they all say its exactly like "how mammy made it". For ourselves I use a recipe I got in a baking class. I always mix up the fruit depending on what I have or spot in the shops. So there could be dried cranberries/crystallised ginger or pineapple/apricots or whatever, on top of the usual raisin/currant/sultana/cherries/mixed peel/dates.

A friend of mine once gave me a very old fruit cake recipe that his brother was almost famous in their family for making. It has the tinned strawberries, but also gravy browning in it! It says to put a small container of water into the oven while it's baking, to keep it moist. I don't think I've ever seen that recommendation in modern recipes.

The recipe is barely legible, but it's from Ranks Home Baking Advisory Service. There's a note at the bottom saying they had a radio programme on RTE every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Gravy browning - must be to give it a good dark colour! Madness & now it's actually super hard to get gravy browning, seems to be a shortage of late!

@cobham I also use the stork recipe booklet; has never let me down. I do have the ICA Christmas book & I keep saying I must make one of the Christmas cakes out of it. I made Porter Cake from it a few years ago but it wasn't as nice as my Christmas cake.

I would use muscovado or molasses brown sugar to give decent colour. I would add in dried fruit to the right weight. I like nuts too and am generous with those but then other family dont 'do' nuts and someone else did not like glace cherries and now gluten free requirement so I have given up. Same goes for Christmas pud but Aldi do a decent mini GF one and can be reheated in microwave ( even cooked fully there if making from scratch).

With all the talk of Christmas cakes, I picked up the first few packets of fruit today for my Christmas baking. I like to add a few packets each week, so it doesn't seem as expensive. Dunnes have always had the baking products 3 for 2, but not this year unfortunately. I usually get started on the baking around the end of September, so I should have enough bought for at least one of the cakes by then.

• Advertisement

I saw glace cherries and mixed peel in the 'specials' centre aisle in Aldi this week.

Do type it out to preserve it if you haven’t already - would be a shame to lose it

A bit later than normal, but I finally got the first cake baked today. Every year, I'm tempted to try a different recipe, but I'm always afraid it won't be as nice, so I stick with what I know/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

You could try a different recipe for an Easter cake or something, when there's not as much riding on it! 😁

An Easer/Simnel cake just has marzipan baked into it. I think @DvB would like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Our 3 are wrapped and in a dark press since mid September. They're awaiting a sprinkling of brandy which is due any day.

I bought the fruit, just sultanas, not fans of raisins or currents, and the cherries, no mixed peel ( someone doesn't like that😳), in Tesco.

The alcohol in them is dark rum the one with the sailor on the label

As with other posts tin is ancient one but double lined in and out. The recipe is 40+ years old and cakes are excellent (if I say so myself😀).

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

Sorry to be so late on this thread but if it's of any help to anyone, I've successfuly "steamed" Christmas puddings in the slow cooker. Preparation is exactly the same, just the cooking changes with no steaming of the kitchen! Saving all that power helps these days too. Just an aside, after my Mum died, the cakes and puddings fell to me but despite helping her for years, I didn't know which recipes she used. I turned to Nevin and his Auntie, her cake is straightforward and delicious and I made it several times. Stephanie Alexander (NZ cook) does a lovely sago plum pudding for those who find the traditional pudding to be too rich, it's moist and fabulous. Sadly, I don't do any of them nowadays in the interests of getting through the door 🙄 Have a lovely Christmas everyone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement