Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best so-bad-its-good films

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Roadhouse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive) is one of my favourite movies ever. It's disgustingly gory and completely over-the-top. But so well-made and entertaining.

Also special mention to Who Killed Captain Alex? An action film made in Uganda on an almost non-existent budget, and with hilariously cheap CGI. The film is loads of fun though, and is really funny, especially the video joker.

The entire film is on Youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Its been mentioned multiple times and in the OP....its clear the winner of this thread is Fatal Deviation....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭briany

It was mentioned in the OP. The point was to find more films like that. But maybe films like that are just too rare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9j1-sdasH8&list=PLkrk6flNkNGDvDLLHfxqEQ-Z7rrpCxROx

Viper Higgins does a full watch along of the film on the video entitled "Shenmue 4th March". Great fun, but you'll have to scrub through the video to find where he starts the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

The Fall of the Essex Boys is a hilarious film in terms of "acting".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,979 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Braindead is a work of genius - I'd rather watch it than trudge through Jackson's interminable LOTR films. Also it's largely a tongue in cheek comedy so I don't think it belongs here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭briany

Yeah, Braindead is a critically-acclaimed film and very well made. It's one of the highest-rated horror films I've seen on IMDB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Rise of the foot soldier movies

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

Cocaine Shark and Cocaine Cougar, ridiculous stuff altogether! 😄

https://youtu.be/Kc0mGM8B8oA

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Orgasmo those South Park boys are good at laughing at themselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

For some Irish interest

Ek the tiger. Especially the Luas chase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭brokenbad

Bad Lieutenant

Redemption of a Rogue

Jaws 2, 3 & 4

Bad day for the Cut

I Went Down

• Registered Users Posts: 14,979 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Jaws 2 is pretty good. I Went Down is also a decent flick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

Thought Bad Day for the Cut was also good enough. Definitely wouldn't put it, Bad Lieutenant, Jaws 2 or I Went Down as "so bad they're good", they're just decent movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I Went Down is a very decent movie. Has no place on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I think this is pretty close to so bad its good territory but its scuppered by being mostly boring, the highlight is an unintentionally hilarious fight scene in a high rise car park from about 18:50 mark. I've met the "star" and director of this masterpiece and he definetly didn't make this with a nod and a wink. Very Tommy Wiseau-ish character.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

What about Tremors? The Kevin Bacon movie about giant killer worms in the desert. The first one looks like it was good by accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭brokenbad

All of the Sharknado movies

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

How about the Bollywood action film 'Ek Tha Tiger' with the chase scene through Dublin that involved the Luas:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I certainly wouldn't call 'Carnival of Souls' a So-Bad-It's-Good film. It's low budget, for sure, but it's still a good horror movie. It's amateurish in its production and a bit in need of a second take or two in more than a few places. But that could be said for Romero's classic 'Night of the Living Dead', even if Romero's film is a vastly superior effort.

However, the problem with most of these So-Bad-It's-Good films is that they're just bad, end of story. They're more entertaining to talk about that to actually sit down to watch. Films such as 'Plan 9 From Outer Space' or 'Zaat!' are legendary in their So-Bad-It's-Good status, that most people understand them to be a laugh riot. But they're really not that funny for much of their running time. They're just crap.

And these days you have dickhead producers trying to corner a market in So-Bad-It's-Good and turn out dross like those rubbish Mega Shark efforts that are just tedious. These films set out to be deliberately bad, which kinda defeats the purpose. Bad movies are that way because the film makers are incompetent, not because the producers set out to make a joke movie.

But if I was to recommend a So-Bad-It's-Good film, it would probably be something like 'Space Mutiny' or 'Megaforce'. These movies aren't atrocious in the way that something like 'Zombie 90 Extreme Pestilence' is but they're actually a bit of fun to watch. And 'Megaforce' was even made on a pretty substantial budget for the time. Or perhaps some Canon films from the 80's, like 'Death Wish 3', which ends up being ludicrous and genuinely amusing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Iron Sky scores far higher than I'd expect on IMDB its rubbish but still really funny. Mad Heidi is in the same vein. What I think of as B movies perhaps they were made as B movies?

Wake me up when it's all over.

Advertisement