Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What job would you hate the most? and why?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Waste/recycle plant sorter - Awful job dealing with peoples filthy, nefarious & careless habits with dreadful pay.

Solicitor - Awful job dealing with peoples filthy, nefarious & careless habits with dirty money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I'd agree with both but funnily enough I don't have a problem with dealing with septic tanks and foul water systems. Roding a blocked foul drain doesn't bother me at all but picking through rubbish would make me puke fairly quickly.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Did it in my last year at college.

it literally depended on what ‘campaign’ or type of work you were assigned.

Cold calling selling life insurance was the worst… cold call sales is depressing and difficult…no satisfaction in that gig regardless of the product.

but in on a Sunday, getting double time, working inbound calls for a pharmaceutical company, taking about 8 or 9 calls lasting 5 minutes each roughly. You might only get 8/9 calls in 6 hours….and about an hour of data entry…easy money and good people..

on the other hand, did work experience in a car hire company call center… arseholes, you were micromanaged to fûck and they just tried to make life as routinely difficult as possible, for no other reason then they could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I started watching The Bear yesterday evening. I'm already six episodes in to it 😁 Some of the kitchen scenes are so chaotic that I expected Gordon Ramsay to come in at one stage and start ranting his head off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Successful people don't usually have a problem with Guards. 🤔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

I couldn't be a gp. Must be most disgusting job in the world. I'd nope out immediately when someone shows up with some kind of sore or rash.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Dentist would be awful aswell. Spending your day looking into people's disgusting mouths telling them how they should have been brushing their teeth for the last 50 years

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Anything dealing with the public all day.

Also, anywhere with a majority female staff. Bitchy environment in my personal experience.

I'm a woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Better than working in a cattle mart , animal’s in a strange environment so they are stressed and nervous, imagine having an 800 KG bullock kick you ?

at least the bovines are dead in the meat factory

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭maebee

I would hate to be the guy whose job it is to turn the roadworks sign from green to red to green, stop to go to stop, all day long. I'm sure they rotate and do other jobs but even for one day it would wreck my head.

• Advertisement

I saw a guy do it for a week, 9 to 5 every day.

Assembly line work. Repeating the same task over and over for 12 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭griffin100

But the money is serious though. I’ve a couple of friends who are dentists and unlike GPs they don’t do evenings, weekends or house calls and they are rolling in cash. They’ve both got nice holiday homes abroad and multiple properties in Ireland. I’d be able to stomach looking in mouths for that level of cash.

When I was in college I used to work as a cleaner in a 24hr leisureplex early on weekend mornings. Spending 2hrs every Saturday and Sunday morning cleaning **** and puke from the toilets. About the worst job I’ve ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

Best job in the world. My GP schedules all his appointments Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Anything on Monday or Friday is emergency only. He plays golf at 11 o clock every Friday so if you have an emergency have it before he leaves at 10. I’ve played golf with him a number of times and he admitted one day that the medical cards have more or less killed any passion he had for the job. People coming in and taking appointments for absolutely no other reason than because they aren’t paying for them. At the time, 70% of his patients were medical card holders. It may have killed his passion for the job but the money he’s making every year solely on the medical cards makes up for it I’m sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Worked in a meat factory for 20 years, met great people and loved my job a a boner. Wouldn't go near the abattoir part of the factory. They are a completely different breed of people.

Professions I'd hate to be in

GP - all day every day dealing with people in misery, couldn't keep sane dealing with that

Social Work - currently fostering and so have dealings with the Social Work dept in tusla, I do not know how they can work in such a stressful environment. Removing children from abuse must be so tough. Dealing with death threats on a daily basis. No thanks

Children's Respite in disability services - I work in adult services so get to see the absolute hardship families are going through due to lack of supports in the children's services from a distance. Staff and families at the absolute limit.

ER dept - not sure how these people do what they do

I think any job that deals with

misery on a daily basis would be so tough

"Wouldn't go near the abattoir part of the factory. They are a completely different breed of people."

I'd love to hear more about them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Open plan office, being observed all of the time, having to look busy when you're not.

It's telling that bosses love open plan but would never dream of letting go their own private office and slum it in steerage class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

"Professional office job" is waaaay too vague to make such a sweeping statement, firstly, many (probably the majority) of office jobs allow for casual clothes, hoodies, t-shirts etc, unless you're customer facing. Secondly, that job could be nearly anything from a rocket design engineer who is in the office all day to a receptionist at a small accounting firm in the local small town.

Im assuming you're talking about the latter, or something closer to the latter.

Overall I think I would agree with you if you were more specific.

This morning I'm really low, and it's work related. Relative to this conversation, I'm noticing a lot more burn-out and stress in office type roles. I think people are fed up with being always on and overwhelmed with all the new technologies to learn. While they are supposed to enhance work actually in a lot of cases are resulting in people being burdened with more work.

I have a consulting role myself that pays handsomely to rent a 2 bed in Dublin as I save for a mortgage deposit but it's **** soul destroying. The interest is completely gone and it's a real push to deliver my projects every day. The positive is I'm getting exposure to a lot of very current stuff Cyber Security Frameworks and New Technology implementations.

I keep saying to my missus though once I've the house got I'm packing it in and doing something that suits me. That will come with a huge reduction in income but I don't care. I always liked doing things with my hands/creative jobs so maybe property development or maybe some sort of job where I give back to humanity and feel a sense of self fulfilment. Possibly United Nations type role or maybe counselling as I like helping people and that's what gives me satisfaction.

I'm 36 now, life's to short to be pricking around in something I might be good at but gives me no fulfilment. When the mental health starts to show signs of wobbling it's time to make get out plans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Probably not the whole abattoir but definitely the shooting box. Have experience of around 8 or 9 factories and lads enjoyed killing a little too much in my experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Go for your dream. Just do ye're best to keep one PAYE income while you establish an business.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,341 ✭✭✭suvigirl

If you found yourself a role in a U.N. Mission somewhere, you could head off now, no need to worry about overpriced houses here!

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Deregos.

I couldn't stomach being a dermatologist, and having to squeeze other people's spots and blackheads like Dr. Pimple Popper.

My sister in law loves that programme. She'd often arrive in and flick it on while I'm eating my dinner . . just to piss me off.

Pictures of your own bad parking WITH CHAT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭Alex86Eire

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Xander10

Any job in aviation. Flying is a once or twice necessity for me to get from A to B for a holiday.

The thoughts on being on a plane 52 weeks a year would scare me. Nothing glamorous about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 salmonfish

Programmer - I hate spending a lot of time at the computer

• Being a pilot on a smaller aircraft could be fun, flying out and back to islands, getting to know your regular pax. I flew light aircraft as a hobby, and travelled in a number of cockpits, loved it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The planes wouldn't bother me so much as spending do much time at airports. They are soulless miserable places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

One of the guys that goes down into a sewer to clear “fatbergs”

a operative on a rendering plant

a brickie or a plasterer. A good way to break your body by the time your 40. plus having to get up at 5 every morning to be on site in Dublin for 7 is no craic either.

Prison warden

• Advertisement

Working on a building site in general is miserable. I did it a bit when I was young. I can't imagine having to do it in your 50s.

I worked on sites for a few years, much preferred it to working in an office. outdoor work is better, and yes you might run into some arseholes on the sites but you will meet a lot more of them in an office in my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Id hate to be a primary teacher. Imagine having over 20 of someone elses kids every day for hours on end, and then every single parents thinks you should be giving all your attention to their child. I swear most people think their child is the only one on the class.. I couldnt even keep my own few under control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

they get great holidays though. I once house-shared with a teacher and she almost had another half life that I didn't; when I'd get home from work she'd have been to visit a relative, been to the gym or baked a lasagne etc.

Think it is a good job for those living outside urban areas; salary is the same for all so cost of living (rent etc) huge for those in big cities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Didn't know about those jobs breaking your body up. Is it just general wear and tear of the job or?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I would hate to be a counselor/psychiatrist/psychotherapist. I can't imagine hearing about abuse and neglect, and it not affecting me deeply. I think I would be a complete mess. I know that some learn to be detached but I just don't think I could do it... I'd probably go on an equalizer-style vendetta run and end up in prison for life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

Every time I go through a motorway toll I try to picture how soul-crushingly boring it must be to work there. I'd end up running into traffic if I was forced to work a booth for too long.

I worked with block layers, they all had back backs, knees etc and they were still in their 30's.

I think being a plasterer is bad for your heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Id hate anything outside an office. Even call centre work is much more interesting than having to work outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Fireman , pulling bodies from car wrecks & what not , no thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I went to school with a rocker kid who was big into Napalm Death and the like. He always wore skin tight black jeans and had a mullet (it was not cool at the time). He never ever knew what he wanted to do but the school had a very good PLC and they placed him in a funeral home. He became a mortician.

Of all the people in school him ending up there was of no surprise but he was also the person I would never leave around a dead body for fear of what he would do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭brokenbad

Chef. Working in a claustrophobic, hot, high stress environment, unsocial hours and having to deal with people issues left, right and centre. No wonder so many Chefs turn to drink or drugs. The film "Boiling Point" is a great representation.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Prison guard

• And those bodies end up in a mortuary. You'd need a special type of mental fortitude to work long term in them I think. The cousin is a porter in the local hospital and he asked them once what's the worst injuries they'd see. Reply was suicide by shotgun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

A mortuary technician told me that the worst cases he had to deal with in the mortuary were junkies and chronic alcoholics. Because their livers were completely shot, the accumulation of toxins in the body would cause their insides to utterly stink. They were practically rotting from the inside out. It was pretty frightening to hear.

Better in my eyes. my body might be in bits working on sites but my brain would be in bits working in an office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Never knew that.

It's crazy to think about it cause on one hand to be fit and healthy you should go the gym or run or cycle etc. But that's the thing, what's a workout? 45 mins to an hour...

If your job is physically demanding that's being required of you 9 to 5 each day. The wear and tear over years.

Just never really thought about it before. In my previous job it was back breaking work. Was only there for a year and some change. But looking back, most people were only in the job a couple of years. The oldest being like 42 or something. Never really twigged, as silly as it sounds, that if I did that for years it would have broke me up.

No way could not stand screaming kids for what is it at least 7 or 8 hours a day. not a chance would i do that. Dont like my current job either to be fair. Well when i say current, the one i finished last month but still call in to help them out the odd day as part of the deal for them giving me redundancy instead of me just having to quit. The sooner that little addendum to the job ends the better. I guess its only a couple of days a month but it still doesnt feel like ive totally left yet.

• Advertisement

My father, uncles, cousins mostly trade people. Block layers, electricians, plumbers, laborers, plasterers etc all their lives. Bodies totally broken in bits by the age of 50. I reckon most of the damage was done when they were young too. Because the younger you are in the trades the heavier the work you have to do. Its not until they get a bit older that they are really calling the shots themselves. And only then when there isnt a recession where they have to take whatever sh!t hauling jobs they can get.

Now having said that most of them are older than me and would run rings around me when it camne to doing hard work, and would lift things i could only stare at, but they all do it nowadays with a groan and lots of rubbing of the backs and hips and limps and stoops.

Advertisement