Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a second property in italy

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭suvigirl

A ridiculous statement and typical of the attitude I outlined.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

I speak fluent North Side Dublinese in addition to Standard English :D. Story, bud!

Most younger Italians DO know English. It's less common among older generations, but even then, most of them will know at least a few words. No one need be under any illusion that Italians are not aware that English is the best second language to learn.

That said, Italian is the language spoken in Italy. In my humble opinion, if one wants to settle or even own property in another country, it is respectful to the natives to learn their language. Foreigners who come here generally do make the effort to learn English (I even met one Turkish guy who was mad enough to study Irish!), so the razor should cut both ways, again in my humble opinion.

Post edited by RichardAnd on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭herbalplants

While in Rome do what Romans do... Speak Italian for your day to day needs.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

There are definitely no properties available in Tuscany. In fact, I would't even bother looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The number 1 language in the world is Mandarin Chinese, with 1.1 billion native speakers. English has just 373 million.

The number 1 language in the EU is German, the first language of 18% of EU citizens and an official language in all or part of 7 member states (relevantly, including Italy). English is the first language of 1% of EU citizens, and an official language in 2 member states.

It's true that English is the most widely spoken second language in the EU but, still, the majority of EU citizens cannot hold a simple conversation in English and, the further you get from the UK, the truer this becomes. The dominant second language in Central and Eastern Europe is German.

Post edited by Peregrinus on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I know someone who bought a house in italy. Massive gaff for about 200k, would cost well over a million if you had a similar one here. Still good value to be had over there even now

Best to hire someone who will deal with the translation stuff. Didn't take years to buy, don't listen to the doom mongers

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Honey50000

Italy is in the EU who is going to be learning chinese in the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ordinary citizens going to their day job are not exactly thinking about trading with China, as for visiting China not sure how many people do from the EU or why you would want to to be honest. Are you going to learn a language because you might go on a holiday sometime

Why do you expect Italians to learn English then?!!

• Advertisement

WUM dumb word if you mean wind up merchant no I already explained everything above if you cant keep up its not my fault

• Registered Users Posts: 68,760 ✭✭✭✭L1011

• Registered Users Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Not many. That's the point. Being the "number one language in the world" (which you claimed English was) is not in itself a reason for Italians to learn it.

In fact, everyone in Italy learns some English - it's a compulsory subject in both the primary and lower secondary curriculums. But most of them lose it fairly quickly, because they have little opportunity to use it, because English is not a widely-spoken language in Italy. Because why would it be?

Globally, English is a commonly-used language of international communication. But in Italy, it's just one of three languages that are so used, the others being German and French. All three are commonly studied as second languages in Italy, but the people who retain a second language into adulthood are predominantly those who work in international-facing jobs, which is a minority of the workforce. Italian busdrivers or shop assistants have no more reason to master English than British busdrivers or shop assistants have to master Italian.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

There are no property taxes on the house you live in, in Italy.

That's ironic, because I'm trying hard to leave this country (Italy) and move to Ireland because I consider this much better than Italy in so many ways. I always wonder what drags people from abroad to this dull land, and haven't found an exhaustive explanation yet.

Italian estate agents work locally, they rarely cover areas outside their location unless you are going to buy a luxury villa. So, when you find the area you like, you can contact the EA that sells the property you like. It is unlikely that the EA you find in the area that you like and who is selling the house that you like will speak English. It is not impossible, but very unlikely unless they deal with foreign customes on a regular basis. Expect they have a broken English if they do speak your language. It is way better if you find the assistance of an Italian friend who can translate for you during the visits and the meetings.

You make your offer to the EA and they forward it to the seller who might accept it or not.

Unlike Ireland, the final selling price will be always be lower than the asking price, this is probably the only advantage of living in this country. So, a house with an asking price of €300k will be more likely sold at €290k or even less.

The entire process, from when you start bidding to the signed contract, could take from a few weeks (sometimes days) to a few months, it rarely goes longer than 6 months.

Both the buyer and seller will pay the EA fee at the end of the process, only the buyer will pay the solicitor (notaio, here in Italy) which will be chosen by the buyer. This is where someone based in the area you like comes in help, they will suggest you the less expensive one.

There is no property tax on the house where you live in.

If you have more questions on this, please ask away.

Meanwhile, I keep looking for a suitable property in Ireland for me and my wife!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Very interesting response. Are you Italian? You are probably good person to advise the person who is looking to buy.

Living the life

• Advertisement

Yes, I am Italian and live in Italy (not for long, I hope).

If anyone needs any info on just anything regarding my country, I'll do my best to help.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement