Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Silage and same amount of meal. I’ve never finished cattle out of a shed? What’s involved might be best practice to get me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭Robson99

Ideally 10kgs meal...min 7kgs . Ad lib Sigage & som Hay / Straw as well if available

• Registered Users Posts: 18,519 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

They want yo be doing better costs go from 1.5/ day to nearly 5/day. To feed cattle I side you need a rising price to cover costs. Finished cattle last year at the end of the year inside. It was just not worth it.

With watery grass soya hulls and cereals

Slava Ukrainii

Better to have them inside for 4 weeks on 10kgs and they gaining weight than outside on 5 kgs and it running through them. Th eextra few bob it costs isnt going to break the bank and it will finish them quicker...

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

Those are the same cattle that will kill the beef price and in turn subdue the mart trade down the line. Better for the collective if farmers stayed away from the mart with their heavy stock.

• Advertisement

In a real wet September yes. I would never put cattle I to finish that I could get off grass before early mid October. Indoor costs are just too high. If they are within 6-8 weeks of finish at present I would let them outside unless the weather breaks completely.

If it breaks completely in Early October sell it else house until the factory takes them

Slava Ukrainii

If you carry cattle that far and are that near finish on anyway half decent land you have them finished by late May/June just in time for the peak price usually

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

What finishing weights are you aiming for in general?

For a LMX from FR dam finishing at grass with meal just under 30 months.

I'm starting to weigh mine regularly and it helps train the eye on them as well as tracking the growth.

July & August this year have been wetter than most Septembers in recent years. Personally I farm to weather / ground conditions not what month of the calender is saying. For a small country there is a massive difference between weather / land in Cork / Waterford and Connacht / Ulster.

Finishing some inside and outside atm. The ones inside have come to hand at least 3 weeks quicker albeit with more meal. Less damage done to the land, easier to feed and if cattle keep dropping will have left more money. Every one to there own

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭1848

That's what I call hobby farming! Spending money on unnecessary indoor finishing is a certainty to lose money. Any money from finishing cattle has to be based on low cost grass & meal in the autumn (3-4 kg) to make for lower energy levels in grass at this time of the year.

I call it sensible farming. Heavy continental cattle make shite of the land very quick with the weather we had the last 8 weeks. When you go to the factory lairage and see some of the shite thats presented for killing that needed another 6 weeks feeding.... thats what I call hobby farming

As I said horses for courses. Everyone has there own way of doing things. Some people are penny wise pound foolish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Fully agree. Went round all the groups of finishing bullocks a few weeks ago when the land was getting wet and pulled a quarter of each group in to finish in the shed. If they were all left out they’d have ploughed the place and I’d have no grass left.

As it stands the finishing bullocks still outside have loads of grass and are flying since the ground dried up. I’ve 20 big bullocks inside that are also very happy. They are eating last years bales and 10kg of meal. Another month will finish them. It’s not ideal as I would have liked to finish them on grass but it was better than taking the risk of everything running out of grass if the weather had to stay bad.

I’ve also started buying stores for next year earlier than ever because the heavier bullocks are inside and grass is now plentiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭epfff

I think a lot of you are getting too obsessed with term feed lots and not understanding what they actually are.

Yes beef finishers are becoming bigger operators because you can't be buying at retail and selling wholesale like smaller feeders are currently doing and expect a profit in a tight margin industry.

Main reason for growth of feedlots is to avoid TB hassle but they have no more connection to processors than anyone feeding same numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭DBK1

Like yourself I fully agree with Robson. I put continental heifers in the shed nearly 4 weeks ago now. They were on top quality grass and 4-5kgs of meal outside for 6 weeks before that and I might as well have thrown the money for that meal down the drain. They weren’t thriving and were only tearing up the fields around the troughs and along by the ditches where they were huddling together in the rain.

Put them into the shed and slowly upped them to 9kgs per day of meal and obviously ad -lib silage as well and they’ve turned inside out since. It was an awful mistake to leave them out so long, I should have had them in the shed 6 weeks earlier and they’d have been hanging long ago.

Finishing cattle on grass is fine in nice dry weather. I’m the unsettled weather this year and wet grass going into them then it’s a waste of time trying to finish them outside. Far better off to be on 9 or 10kgs of meal indoors for 30 or 40 days than be on 4kgs outdoors for 100-120 days and the whole place tore up after them.

Feeding 10 kg meal & silage costs about €5/day. Feeding 3 kg outdoors costs about €2.50/day. If you find yourself in a situation of having a lot of cattle to be finished off grass in the autumn, need to ask a few questions. Finishing cattle outdoors means having some ready in June/July - best thrive March to June & coincides with highest prices. Monitor live weight gain - should be around 0.8 kg/day on farm including store period over the winter(little or no meal).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Huge weight difference in animal killed in June v August- could be up to 100kgs dw.

young cattle simple don’t kill out as well - the extra two months makes an awful difference. And at circa €5kg, that could equate up to €500 per animal.

I’ve often put up my kill sheets here with steers over 500kg dw. I’d never get close to that in June.

Depends on breed. June is ideal for Fr, He, AA - no meal needed. Continentals need more time. A mix of breeds is a good idea. Not sure about a system producing 500 kg carcass. At times factories don’t want them. Also have to allow for maintenance associated with very heavy cattle - inefficient.

• Advertisement

If you have good cattle over 700kg and are approaching the 30 month mark, R = grade does it make sense keeping them on for another 8 week's and driving up the weight and hopefully a grade.

At grass and getting meal.

ADG .80kg

All depends on fat cover. I’ve u grade bullocks approaching 30 months and I’ll feed them on. I know they haven’t enough flesh on them to kill them and there is nothing worse than killing cattle that aren’t fit.

If you think they are a fat score 3 then kill away. If not feed them on.

When slaughtering cattle DW is just one consideration. Price difference between Mid June and late August is 30+C/ kg, ( this year it was 40/kg, last year it was nearer 60c/ kg). At 30c/ kg on a 400 kg animals the next 20-25kgs is gone and that is presuming the animal stays under 30 months

You have to factor in extra cost if feeding ration every 100 kgs ration takes 8kgs to pay for it.

Finally you have replacement cost. A replacement bought in the spring early summer will usually be ready to go early mid summer the following year in my system.

Against that you cannot finish all cattle either early or late in the season. Housing early means closing more ground for silage or cutting low DM silage in September or October which is an expensive product.

Slava Ukrainii

Last batch were all 3= and 3+ on the fat score and graded R so not doing too bad.

Might hold a few of the next bunch and see if I can get the weight and grade up.

Nothing like a good September to fatten up cattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Agree with what both of you are saying, a clever man feeding a lot of heifers told me recently his take on the weather was would you stand outside in the rain and eat your dinner and then lie down in a wet ditch for the night and get up and do a days work the next day, cattle don’t thrive and put on weight in the wet and cold. Every year is not the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭Dunedin

It’s only the cost of grass to keep cattle extra two months - meal feeding is still 6-7 weeks regardless.

if selling in June, replacements will be more expensive than august.

why can’t you finish all late - I do .

what’s finishing cattle in August got to do with housing early/cutting silage in September October - never heard such gibberish in my life

June replacements always workout better value than August ones. The earlier a replacement is bought the better there value provided you stay out stay away from expensive cattle in March and April.

A June bought replacement will be 40-50 kgs heavier in August off cheap grass. I bought a bunch of Friesians I. January this year for 480 euro, they are probably about 450ishkgs at present they be costing 800 at the moment to buy. Stores may cost more per kg but cheap gain compensates for it.

The first risk with carrying the same amounts throughout the summer is drought, after a 2-3weeks if dry weather my grass stops. So mid summer carries serious risk for me. If it works for you that is grand. However the average dairyX store cannot outperform the market so some more forward types ( heavier stores) are more profitable to hang June.

You were replying to @1848 who questioned the logic of feeding 10kg indoors in August/ September I taught you were challenging that assumption

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Good loser

I would largely agree with that. Even add October, if reasonably dry. This year, though wet, the weather has been mild or warm.

On the downside IFJ last week said grass Dry Matter currently can be around 11/12%. My stock have done well outside recently; unlike other years they have plenty grass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭DBK1

A busy night with cattle here, just after putting a load of weanlings from the sale in Gortatlea into the shed. What I bought averaged €2.80 per kg, a mix of R+ and U- all going well. Like anyone buying cattle it’s more than I’d like to be paying but I don’t know how the cow men are surviving at them prices. I hope they have good payments.

Time for a quick bite to eat and head out in the torrential rain that’s here at the minute to help another man get in 24 heavy 29 month old bullocks for loading for the mart that haven’t seen a shed since they came out of it as suck calves. Should be fun🫣

Advertisement