Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2023 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Good stuff. Just with the compressed plan you are on to make sure you are getting enough rest and recovery. Chasing miles is a temptation for us all but it's those big jumps in effort where injuries tend to happen so keep an eye on it and rest if you need to.

the boards plan has been around for the long time with loads of input over the years and yes it does cover quite a bit and especially in relation to working the races into the plan which a generic plan wouldn't necessarily have.

Wow, what a shift in mindset. I'm amazed that you didn't really enjoy running but still signed up to a marathon but now that you in the middle of marathon training seem to really enjoy it :-) I found last year that I really started to enjoy my LSR's when I was actually prepared for them, i.e. that I had some fuel and hydration with me and any other bits and bobs to make the run more comfortable. I was terrible for just heading out and doing the LSR with nothing and being a bit wrecked after it.

I like the dynamics of a race too and the pacing and strategy around them, that is probably the most fun bit, executing a good race is a skill and it doesn't always go right so when it does it is always a great achievement (even if that is not a pb or anything like that - sometimes it's just running the best race you can on that day under those unique circumstances to you).

Can't beat a bit of race day hype to get the adrenalin going :-)

Don't worry about the weekend, the last long ones have built you up to this one so you have it. Everybody's legs feel it towards the end and most especially novices who are getting to these distances for the very first time. Just head out and it will be fine.

I have this long hill on my way home from my LSR, I have to go up it to get home...every time I'm coming up that hill on my lsr and my legs are so tired I tell myself that this is just great training, that if I can do this hill at the end of an lsr then I'll be able to battle through the tiredness when the going gets tough on the marathon. Your lsr is doing the same for you, your legs are tired but you're getting yourself through it and it's training you to get through that really long run coming up when your legs will be tired but you'll keep on going

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Legits

I have done a Time Trial 5k in 24:30 and the Kilkee 10k at 53 minutes but nothing longer completed at race pace this year

Is there anything you could sign up to in September? Maybe the Rathhowth half?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Really enjoyed reading all the posts this evening. @Tribal Wardfare yours was the stand out and loved that you are now enjoying the whole thing. Nothing like being on a structured plan and building slowly and each week is an achievement. I’m currently injured and on week 8 of not running and I think your post really hit home about what I’m missing!

Anyway, lovely to see you all so settled and doing well. Look after yourselves now. Eat well, try and concentrate on hydration each day and make sure you are sleeping well. Try and carry water around with you all day or every time you reach for a coffee or other drink have 200mls of water first.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Runner2023

Made the decision knock DCM on the head. Even with the best will in the world it's going to take me another week or two to get back running and I'm going to have to ease into it at that.

Thanks to all the mentors for the advice and good luck to everyone else!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Sorry to hear that Runner2023 but it’s the right call if you aren’t ready. Get yourself right and there’s always next year.

Sad to hear and a hard decision in sure but getting right is more important and there is always another marathon

Im looking at doing the Charleville HM in two weeks just need to organise real life around it. Seems like a very competive run though with a 2:30 cutoff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Possibly to limit the length of road closures. It does have "international" in the name though, which is a bit intimidating 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Charleville is a fast and flat half marathon that caters to runners of all standards. The 'international' bit is more because it crosses the border to loop around Kilmallock which is in Limerick. 😉

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

That sucks. Injuries are a balls especially this close to a race. Look at it this way though, if you keep up the running you will be in a great place when you start training for the marathon next year.

🤣 I've registered now so will see how it goes should I deload for it or run on semi tired legs. Any suggestions for km pace to target I did Kilkee in 53m this year but that was hilly and windy I would hope for maybe a 5:30km pace. I am fitter than I was but dont want to wreck myself either.

Based on your Kilkee 10k, if you've kept up the training and are in as good a shape like you say then a 5.30 m/km would be very achievable on an easier course. If you are concerned about wrecking yourself then a conservative start for the first few km's, say at 5.40 / 5.45 / 5.50, and then ease yourself up to the pace that you expect you can hold for the rest of the race. This way you won't wind up wrecking yourself and having to grind out 10k after bonking half way through.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 kevinfkennedy

Week 9.

Did you complete all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?

Yes ! Hit 34k as planned. Starting to motor again slowly after the injury lay-off so long may it last.

Did you complete all the runs at an appropriate pace?

Yes. Trying not rush things after the injury.

At the halfway point, what has been your favourite moment of the training to date?

Diving into the sea after a long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 AJ_a_y

Week 9 update

As I won't be doing the pp half, this week was my plan half marathon in tullamore.

I ended up missing one run midweek due to an issue but I was happy to have an extra day rest before the half.

The race itself went really well, started slow decided to go with the 2hr pacers, and after all the easy runs on hhn plan I found the first few k different, but once I hit 6k I noticed a club mate and they were getting further away I decided to push gently. I got more and more comfortable and faster as the race went on, passed them and moved well through the field to a fast last k and race finish with someone who overtook me with 300m, (i'm very stubborn 😬)I came in at 1.53.47, a pb of 2 mins off my only previous half this time last year.

All in all my legs were a bit heavy, my arms were sore which was odd, but my breathing was perfect, so the plan is really working, and this race has been the highlight of the training so far, such an enjoyable race and atmosphere with over 1100 runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

Is there any benefit to speeding up the long runs a bit around now? I am doing them at marathon pace plus 50 seconds or so, but I have been reading that getting down to marathon pace plus 30 seconds is a good idea as you get closer to the race, or to add some blocks at marathon pace into the middle of the long run. I am already at 32km for the long runs and don't intend on going longer, but may go faster if there's any benefit to be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Crunchy23

It has probably already come up in this thread, but can anyone recommend a good place to bulk buy gels?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

In my (novice) opinion the safest way to improve the training effect of longer runs, if you absolutely need to do that, is to eat less (during). Carbohydrate consumption spares glycogen and disimproves fat burning, so by eating less you'll finish the run more glycogen depleted and with an improved ability to burn fat. It'll take longer to recover (your glycogen stores) but the alternative is to run them progressively faster and that risks mechanical injury. There is a counter-argument that training to a glycogen depleted state is stupid and pointless and lacks scientific basis; it's somewhat controversial.

However, on a novice marathon plan this is playing with fire either way. From personal experience, the kind of overtraining which happens without injury, i.e. remaining consistently under-recovered over a number of weeks, gets you in a debilitating hole you can't get out of quickly, and that's even if you manage to avoid getting sick or injured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I have been buying them off HPNutrition.ie, they seem to be the cheapest place to buy the high5 aqua gels I'm using. I buy the the 20 packs from them and I've no complaints from the two orders I've placed already

I've just recently used Chain Reaction Cycles for some Gels and Chew. Competitively prices, free delivery and relatively quick to deliver. I was also buying multipacks and working out quite well on a per item basis.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Holland and Barret have gels too.

Anyone know if the gels from the goody back at the race series events are any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Clareview

MIA the last few weeks online here between one thing & another..

Week 8 (14th Aug - 20th Aug)

4 runs this week including the Frank Duffy 10Miler (1.31) on the Saturday. Totalled 34km. No recovery run on the Sunday as ankles/feet were very sore so left it off!

Week 9 (21th Aug - 27th Aug)

4 runs this week. Totalled 30km. Pace session was very enjoyable and ran that at approx 6.23/km pace. Was out of country for a long weekend for the LSR and hadn't a hope of attempting it in 35/36degree heat! Although 30k+ walking steps a day done so some time on the feet!

Week 10 has the 30km LSR in the plan so will need to see how that goes whilst doing it after missing last weekends one..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

I'd recommend buying what they offer on the day to be familiar with them, they have a sample kit with a caffeine one included. Shipping times are very good as it's EU, and they are one of the better tasting gels on the market to be fair to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Advice to anyone from outside driving distance who hasn't booked a hotel yet to do so asap for two reasons.

VAT rate increase at the end of the week and also 3rd level is back in a matter of weeks and there will be a huge demand on hotels for rooms from early October, anything left could be gone within the next fortnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I’d bought 2 boxes of gels from a cycling website - I think called chain reaction. I use Hi5 aquas and got a good variety pack of different flavours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

For a novice runner I wouldn't suggest pushing the envelope at all. Yes, there is an argument to be made for adding 'stuff' to a long run but it's honestly not worth the risk. You might be a few seconds or up to a minute faster on the day if it all goes well. Better to box this year off and enjoy it. If you continue running you will find that consistency of training will bring you huge improvement next year.. probably 20 mins at least. Taking a gamble on getting faster by a few seconds this year just isn't worth it.

Great to hear back from you and as I said to another poster, dropping the logging and keeping up the training is the best approach if you are squeezed for time :-)

Best of luck on this weeks LSR, just take it very handy, have a good hydration and fuelling plan and enjoy being out and about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Hi, I'm a bit late to the party due to training for the Longford Marathon. However, I have been following this thread and trying to learn from it. I entered Longford after missing out on the first round of entries for the DCM.

Not sure if I need to give history, but I 'll try a briefly as I can. I'm 55 and basically started running after losing 5 stone about 2 years ago (I lost most of my weight by walking 2 x 5k twice a day as fast as I could and also cutting out all wheat based food. I spent 3 years in the gym and started training on the weight machines, but that just bulked me up more) via c25k. I then started Parkruns after the lockdown and then expanded that to races with my first one a 10k 26th December 21 and have kept on going and entering a race if its within a reasonable distance. I think I ran about at about 25 events last year which consisted of 10ks, 10 milers, half marathons and 3/4 marathons. I was due to run a marathon at Clonakilty but that got cancelled due to flooding. I went and entered the 1/2 (accommodation booked and could not cancel) and set about running the 2nd half on my own, which involved a lot of walking.

I started 2023 with a knee injury (probably due to overkill), which took about 3 months to properly heal. However, the injury didn't stop me, I continued with very easy runs and learned about low heart rate running. I have continued to run at more races and have started to travel to them (Kilkee, Belfast).

I followed the Hal Higden (app) Intermediate plan 2 for Longford and set a time of 4hrs 15. All went well on the day itself, until the halfway stage when head gremlins set in, and then it was crash and burn. I lost it big time. I tried now and again to run, but the will wasn't there. I carried on like that till the end. I eventually caught up with another runner who was also attempting to run / walk, we exchanged our injury problems, mine the head and his IT Band injury he picked up a few months ago and gambled on it being ok for the marathon. He told me that mind stuff wasn't good because of the tricks it could play on you.

Anyway, I eventually finished with a time of 4hrs 51 and felt absolutely mentally and physically drained. I'll take it as a learning experience and am now here hoping to move on and improve on my marathon journey by taking part and continuing to learn from this great thread.

• Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)

Yes, I'm a bit of an addict lol. I have ran in 8 half marathons this year, I think the best was about 1hr 57mins.

• Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)

No, but I do sometimes depending on how I feel.

• How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.

I ran at the Longford Marathon and have been using Hal Higdon Intermediate 2 and ran the distance that gave per week, I think that maxed out at abbot 50k / week.

• What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?

I think at this stage I just want to run one, ideally 4hrs 30min.

• How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?

I think I will follow the Boards 2023 plan, it seems to have more variety.

• What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up?

Crashing and burning - Psychological Issues

• Why are you running this marathon?

I see it as a personal challenge. Last year was my first full year running, I entered almost every event in my area. The longest distances were 3/4 Marathons, I ran both within 3 hours and would like to take the next step and run a marathon without the crash and burn.

Advertisement