Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk: Off The Ball

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

He refused to go on in solidarity when Irish Time journalists were banned by Denis O'Brien from being guests on NT and TodayFM

• Registered Users Posts: 17,037 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Ladies Gaelic Football is either the top or second top in terms of female participation in sport in Ireland - where OTB broadcast from.

When the LGFA introduced their policy earlier in the year which effectively meant that somebody who was once a 17 year old boy/man could now play football under the LGFA umbrella I looked out with interest for discussion on the topic. I have a child who plays adult gaelic football under said association's rules. It was a story with huge consequences.

Colm Parkinson in his excellent podcast had 3 current footballers and members of the GPA on the show where they all spoke out against the policy. The presenter and participants were putting their heads above the parapet, saying what most think and not worrying about the twitter pile on from a minority who would have labelled them as some sort of phobe for their views.

Now as my googling skills are sh1te I may have missed OTB having a similar discussion at the time as I looked through the feed on the app. I hope it was just my lack of googling skills and that such a topic was discussed openly and without fear of being cancelled or saying something outside of the group think that is all too apparent in that organisation.

Again I may be wrong and there was an open, frank exchange in this story. It's a bigger story than that about some clown of a man kissing a woman after she won a big game. I wonder did the LGFA policy change get as much air time as that story has gotten this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

• Registered Users Posts: 10,957 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Out of curiosity, does Parkinson cover ladies football on the regular? Or only when trans issues arise and he can be "worried" about it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Off The Ball had Ross Tucker on over 4 years ago now covering transwomen in sport. Since then he's been on a few more times and so has Niall Moyna.

I don't know if they covered the LGFA story around transwomen but they have covered transwomen in women's sport very well it has to be said. Tucker and Moyna know their stuff inside out and don't resort to hyperbole. They've both been on talking about other things sports wise too.

As for Kimmage yeah it has been noticeable that he hasn't been on in a long time. I'm pretty sure he was on during their IT ban, he was on in 2019, but I think during the ban he then decided he wouldn't go on anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,037 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭deisedude

Bit rich to be talking about deflection when you posted the above 2 days ago when your Trans argument ran out of road

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Jesus mick mccarthy is hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,957 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Not a deflection. If you say your primary interest is looking after women's sports, but only cover women's sports when it's this phony trans debate, then you probably have a different agenda...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

So, do they podcast every bit of the radio show or can I listen back to some bits?

They mentioned yesterday they were gonna do a bit about the game in the Aviva today but I missed it and want a listen.

Of course I could just try to find out for myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭rrs

The football show must be on subscription now. Doesn't seem to be available

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

If you were a member you could see how many subscribers they had on the patreon website. They don't publish this information anymore though.

Last time I checked (just after the last lockdown) they had just over 13,000.

65,000 per month despite being largely ignored!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Ahwell

The football show has a sponsor - HB ice cream and if you listen through their website there are ads. That would obviously add extra income.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

It's still published on the Patron site. 13,685 currently. They taking in almost 70k a month before costs obviously. A very good setup for 6 or 7 hours of content per week, obviously a few people to split it between and plenty prep time but it's definitely a better lifestyle with the ability for plenty other gigs than they would have had on OTB. Sometimes taking a risk works out, sometimes it doesn't. In their case it did. I don't think OTB have the capacity to charge what they are charging and survive.

I've not been a full time subscriber of SC but always listen to the free pods and depending on a few things I dip in and out of being a subscriber. Since OTB made their announcement I've stopped subscribing to anything they have and have zero interest in paying to listen to the content. I assume a standpoint shared with the vast majority on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭deisedude

As a matter of interest has anyone on here subscribed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

For those that used to like the Paper Review i see RTE are now doing a Sunday Supplement segment (it's on now) hosted by Marie Crowe today. I think Vincent Hogan was on it last week. Kieran Cunningham is on this week with some other man i've not heard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭deekster

Thanks. I wonder is that segment (or even the show) available as a podcast?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭deekster

Super. Thanks for that. Listening now. I hope RTE take the opportunity Newstalk/OTB have give them by putting up a paywall, and decide to add this as Podcast.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

they are now uploading rugby press conferences as rugby daily, the laziness of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Wonder is it due to him training Fury therefore links to Daniel Kinahan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Matthew Macklin used to a regular too - back in the day. Whatever happened to him? 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Out of approx 12 ppl I am friendly with who listen to OTB, 1 has subbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭left_hander

I've asked loads of people and yet to hear 1 subscriber.

On the Go Loud app, the 3 free podcasts is in total, rather than per week. I thought somebody said it was per week? And even worse, if you pause a show, come back to it later in the day that counts as 2 listens.

The problem OTB have now is even if they drop the price those who subscribed initially will be feeling pretty hard done by. So they are stuck with this until next year.

But anyway, I have moved on. Maybe it was a bit too handy for me anyway, I was listening to nothing but sporting podcasts and now I'm listening about science, history, some current affairs and a bit of sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

Looking at their otb am live there are not too many green names on the live chat indicating paid up subs.a handful at most.

like some others have said I’ve moved on too especially from the news round which i always watched live.have turned it on once or twice on the radio since but have reached for the off button as fast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Ger Gilroy suggesting on OTB AM this morning that the Australian open doesn't really count as a major.

How pathetic is he, purely saying this in order to try and discredit Djokovic (although he just discredits himself).

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MattressRick

I turned on newstalk yesterday evening to catch a bit of the live show seeing as I haven't subscribed and I heard it was Nathan not Joe. Just didn't enjoy the interview half as much so turned it off. Copper fastened my decision about not subscribing. The quality isn't there for 120 a year or thereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭bren2001

I subbed but only because the first month is free and I'm travelling this week. I've already cancelled for next month so i won't be charged.

I'm travelling at the end of October. I'll either pay for it or sign up with another card for a free trial.

Woeful “GMIT fresher on his 3rd pint of bulmers” level of discussion on right now.

Who the hell would subscribe to this rubbish??

Post edited by Beechwoodspark on

• Advertisement

Awful tripe - over to radio 1

Advertisement