Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A global recession is on the horizon - please read OP for mod warning

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

Interesting. Maybe you could point to the poster that suggested France would go bankrupt due to the cost of uranium?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Deub

I imagine we need another touch base in a few months. What is the new date?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Fuel prices could cross €2 a litre again in winter, AA Ireland warns.

That won't be pretty.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

Quite the paradox.

I posted about Niger and uranium but was not aware of the imminent French bankruptcy. I'm not sure how I would ask myself a question. Who would answer if I questioned myself. Would I answer but if I answered who asked the question ❓

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Only noticed that coming home this evening, my local is 1.71 for diesel. Pretty sure it was 1.62 last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

2 Euro diesel again is going to be a nut skinning again.

FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Fuel nearly 1.80 where I am, Going up on Friday then up again end of October. Be over 2 euro before you know it.

TD on the tv today shiting on about how much the excise cut has cost the exchequer, like it was coming out of his own pocket

How much excise and duty did they pull in before it was cut, multiples of what it's cost them I bet, add in all the extra VAT too from all the gouging and doubling of prices from every company over the last year and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,397 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...remember now folks, you re all spending like drunken sailors, which in turn is causing inflation, now please stop spending your hard earned cash on energy, please!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Will hurt some people way more the increase in rates… the people hit the hardest will be people who recently bought and need to commute to work.

i sometimes wonder if you were in a job on low wage would you be better off on the dole…free house close to the city, medical card, fuel allowance, no childcare etc. why bother working?

I was the same, almost done a double take... I filled up the tank few weeks ago when some petrol station was celebrating by lowering their price per liter and since then price jumped so much. Luckily I don't drive too much.

Living the life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

As we know, Enda Kenny went on a berserk borrowing binge when he became Taoiseach and that was to re-inflate the property bubble. Well, today there is a property crash in China and while the government of China would like to see new stimulus to stabilize property prices and have them begin to rise again, they would like private investors to do it. They Chinese government could do it but they have decided not to because it would be irresponsible from a sovreign point of view. Essentially they are saying, if pain must come, let it come.

So, we can expect a hard landing in China and repercussions for the world economy. The question is, when the dust settles, who will be proven right? The Chinese who are looking for long term organic growth or the Irish who have kicked the can to the end of the road.

Notice more and more the amount of cleaners advertising their services. Rewind couple of years ago, you can hardly find a cleaner and they would charge quite hefty hourly fee.

Seems to people are tightening their purse and cleaners are being let go.

Living the life

VHI is raising their prices by 7% in October.

This winter, interesting times ahead as bills will definitely be higher.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

How can the current high costs of living continue in this county a lot of mortgages/rents have gone up in repayments/payments. Energy remains high and may go higher. Petrol is high and will go higher. Taxation is high and with the onset of the pensions affordability crisis (this will start kicking in within the next 10 years with our aging population) and the gradual eroding of the corporation taxes taken will mean more taxes on income. Our politicians continue to try and buy votes from social welfare recipients and Public sector employees by giving rate raises which have to be paid for via taxes and once given its very hard to take away. Those are just a few examples but almost every facet of living has gone through the roof I cannot see one area where prices have come down or where there is value for money anymore and wages has not and will not come up to meet it over the next decade will we see a complete slowdown and depression as peoples wage are decimated by paying out anywhere from 60 to 90% of their wage for taxes and accommodation and the the persons remaining wage seeing less purchasing power for simple things like the weekly shop. Has there been anywhere globally where this happened in history and what was the outcome?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭yagan

there doesn't seem to be anyone challenging the orthodoxy that rate rises fix inflation.

As this inflation is primarily cost push (more expensive energy imports) than demand pull (credit fueled like the property bubble in the 2000s) all interest rises do is increase the burden on everyone except.

The only thing that fixes energy rise inflation is better efficiency, especially as the worlds other rising trade blocs also drive demand. Interest rate increases in the EU isn't going to dampen demand in other blocs.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

The days of 1.20 a litre are gone forever. The Green's and their pals will make sure of that. I work in the haulage and coach business and i can tell you for a fact many businesses over leveraged themselves to get through last year with the price of diesel. A lot of them will not be able to stay afloat this winter. Heard of a few small transport operators who do school runs and small event transport going under the last month or so.

But hey the pubs and restaurants in central Dublin are going gangbusters so it's all good right....

It makes no difference if the inflation is push or pull as far as interest rates are concerned. If rates didn’t increase then there is a huge incentive to borrow now and buy as:

a) the goods will be cheaper now than in the future and

b) the value of the repayment are worth less than the money borrowed in real terms.

To prevent people from doing this rates Need to rise so that it’s no longer attractive. If they didn’t the economy would overheat and we would see more inflation as the increase in money supply (by people borrowing) would result in more money circulation chasing a limited no of goods.

The only country not to follow the orthodox method of raising rates to fight inflation was turkey and they have recently had to admit they got it wrong and start raising rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Deub

… as your type always does

What type would that be?

I am particularly curious to know how you could categorise me.

Any reason for the 31st October deadline or is it an information you also don’t want to divulge?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭brickster69

US put export restrictions on some Nvidia chips to the middle east. I wonder what the response will be.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

The problem is people are being forced to borrow to meet today's hikes.

All hiking does is increase bankruptcy and increase demand for government supports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I think more "BRICS" are being added soon, that was the world upending (or not...) news from the Big Pow Wow.

I wonder will Kim bring North Korea into the BRICS? 🤯

If a BRICS currency ever becomes physical, "torture and execution methods throughout history" as an uplifting theme for a 1st series of notes?

No hiking prevents the economy overheating leading to further inflation followed by a severe recession. If you think it’s bad now you have no idea how tough it would be without rate hikes or being part of the Euro.

Government supports only distort inflation for example the cut in the fuel levy helped lower inflation in the short term but prolonged the inflationary period because it generates inflation when reversed.

That’s not saying it’s a bad thing because it helped people and without it could have sent the country into recession because people would need to cut discretionary spending to pay for it and pubs/restaurants/coffee shops would have gone bankrupt quickly. It has allowed businesses time to readjust and get ready for a cut in discretionary spending.

The biggest obstacle to inflation falling is that the economy is in full employment which means people can move for better pay or negotiate pay rises.

Inflation will be around Until companies decide to not fill positions and there is a slowdown in employment. This is already starting to happen with companies that have previously been through this cycle.

It’s the likes of restaurants/pubs that have just invested in refurnishing based on their recent increase in turnover and that will need to keep charging high prices to pay for the refurbishment that will go to the wall as once discretionary spending falls they will be hit the hardest and have no capacity to lower prices to attract customers.

CPI numbers out today.

French CPI (YoY) (Aug) Actual: 4.8% Expected: 4.6% Previous: 4.3%

Spanish CPI (YOY) (Aug) Actual: 2.6% Expected: 2.6% Previous: 2.3%

German CPI (YOY) (Aug) ACTUAL: 6.1% Expected 6.0% Previous 6.2%

All up month on month

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 9,297 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Irelands numbers up as well and that's before tonight's fuel/vat hikes.

EOY talks will be interesting this year. Employees needing at least 5% increases just to stay flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

The thing is that a 5% rise is probably more like 3% in your pocket once the taxman has his cut!

So people looking for pay rises to match current inflation rates still leaves them worse off.

YOY stays at 5.3% est 5.1%

MOM down in 4 states and up in 16

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Could be that or maybe it is a handy cash in hand job for a lot of the migrants who were brought here over the last two years. I know in my own apartment block the management company has hired a lot of Ukrainian women, have spoken to a lot of them myself.

Obviously just a guessing stab, you could well be right too but anyone who had cleaners into there home in the first place are probably the ones least affected by this tightening.

Beverly Hills, California

There is a lot of average people who employ cleaners so yes all the hike in average prices will affect them.

Living the life

• Advertisement

Your first line highlights the problem if hikes only force the recession.

There'll even more demand for supports with bankruptcies and all that for nought as energy prices won't be tamed as demand from other blocs continues.

What you've described is the act of appearing to be doing something, a placebo effectively considering ground level supports are needed. What's the point in inducing a regional recession when it won't quench global demand?

Advertisement