Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**** Starfield ****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,448 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I did the bold thing, and pre ordered mine from Smyths a few months back.

Got an email from them that it would be delivered on Sept 1st. (I had sent an enquiry)

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

Disaster . I'm off thurs and thought I be playing it all day 😅

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

DF played Starfield at Gamescom, and have been allowed to slightly break embargo on it, as one of their concerns was the framerate from the trailers, and they say that it's not an issue in the actual game that they've been playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,448 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

There will be barriers planetside it seems. Less Elite Dangerous it seems. But 10mins walking in one direction is still a lot.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Someone on the reddit thread linked in the article says it is 40 minutes walking from the centre which is pretty huge.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Yeah, i've no real issues with that. Completely empty maps that span an entire planet are utterly pointless.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hmm, never great to see this - it sure seems like Bethesda has been doing some cherrypicking with who gets early copies… Giving it to Digital Foundry but only if Eurogamer’s review team don’t get their hands on it is a bizarre move.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Bethesda are the absolute worst for this nonsense but they have never gone as far as this, at the very worst they restricted review scores until a few hours before release. In fairness they did this for every game they release but restricting outlets to bump up the meta score before release is some real bullshit.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Let's be honest, Eurogamers reviews aren't worth a **** for years at this stage. Always some minority type who dislikes the game for trivial **** no real gamer actually cares about. They are the last platform I would ever read review from, DF are fine though for what they do.

And Bethesda gave pretty much 2 weeks early access to reviewers for this, pretty ballsy move if there's something you don't want discovered or disclosed in a pre release review.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I suppose I’m not a ‘real gamer’ so, as I find them one of the few remaining major outlets who tend to give new releases the critical due diligence they deserve, even when I personally disagree with the final conclusions. Rarely if ever doubt the reviews come from anything other than a place of honest opinion and analysis.

• Advertisement

Then you haven't read enough, there was a game a few months back which got a one star because the reviewer mistakenly assumed that a robot companion voiced by a black man was a racist caricature of an indentured servant to the great white hero. Absolute eye rolling bollix. Play the **** game and talk about the game and leave your paranoia and hyper woke imbecilism at the door.

Fuck Eurogamer.

Oh I read virtually all the reviews they publish, thanks :)

Regardless - cherrypicking review outlets and holding back review codes for major outlets to potentially boost a Metacritic score is bad practice, and hopefully that isn’t a controversial opinion.

Not saying you don't but don't pretend they are an infallible source when they are anything but. Bethesda haven't cherry picked anything - EG are notoriously hostile towards MS and now act like the victim but they are getting exactly what they deserve. As I said no company with stuff to hide would release review codes 2 weeks early, EG only butthurt they didn't get one.

And regardless, if you are genuinely interested in SF who cares about reviews say anyway? They can say what they want come Friday, I won't be reading any of it cos I'll be too busy playing the game myself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Find Eurogamer one of the few outlets with actual good writers left that give honest reviews backed up by well written prose. It's telling that once the hype does down they usually have reviews that hold up compared to most that just go along with the hype.

Not sure where this hostile to Microsoft nonsense is coming from either. It's not like MS have had a lot of exclusives to review and the likes of redfall got rightfully hammered while Forza gets great reviews

Metro gamecentral also denied copies and mention that so have Edge and Guardian. Seems like a bit of a blitz of all decent videogame journalism that's left:

I wonder if any US sites have been denied like polygon.

They were genuinely the last go to for reviews a number of years back, then they let Caelen or whatever that thing is and others start reviewing games - and it's clear none of them have an actual appreciation of the art. It's "what diversity boxes does this game tick for me personally" and thats not what I'm interested in, I want to know about the game and mechanics, not what triggered some asshole who prob finds tying their own shoelaces offensive.

About 3 years back I would have read their reviews, but they are too far gone now. It's not worth wasting eye muscles anymore on the **** they print, it's more often than not completely irrelevant to the general consumer and more a whistle call to the woke creeps.

Haha they’re rattled! From Eurogamer:

“An hour after the publication of this blog, Eurogamer was provided Starfield review code by Bethesda. 

As stated previously, our review will not be completed before embargo - but we can now begin our work to provide you with Eurogamer's judgement of the game.”

What an absolutely moronic own goal from Bethesda (and going by the Metro article, it was their call rather than Microsoft). Glad they got called out on it, especially as they were clearly trying to give the impression of confidence by giving it to other reviewers early.

They did this before and folded, not providing review code for games like doom 2016 until release day. Realised they were losing coverage for their games.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Tbh I'm no fan of Eurogamer either, find them to be sensationalist and often times relate populist real world issues to games/design decisions where there's no need while not focusing much on the actual game being reviewed.

A blanket ‘no review code’ policy is one thing, and obviously terrible and short-sighted. But in some ways I find a ‘selective’ policy more insidious. Mainly because we see it in Hollywood, with studios giving ‘influencers’ the early word so they flood the timelines and trades with positivity, before the actual reviews drop a few days or weeks later. It’s manipulating the data stream to tilt the impression towards potentially faux positivity.

Im not saying that’s what’s happening here necessarily, and there may be some silly local politics going on since it seems to be predominantly UK-based outlets impacted. But it gives the impression that’s what’s going on, which is a real bad and silly look to have going on, as generally all other video game publishers do adhere to a sensible, universal embargo for all reviewers. Gaming media has enough of a ‘noise:signal’ problem already without purposeful withholding of review copies.

Post edited by johnny_ultimate on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

With the eurogamer shenanigans ams some of the leaks its clear this is going to stink like all their releases since skyrim.

I mean look at this.

I'll reserve judgement but I feel even if it's skyrim in space it will be enough for most people.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Not trying to be smart, but what's wrong with that?

Pretty much this. Its all i really expect, and i'll be perfectly happy with that.

It looks straight out of fallout new Vegas. Same ropey engine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,573 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

At this stage, if it's a new Bethesda game then it's gonna have to be assumed it's just another Frankenstein build of the GameBryo engine, and that's gonna come down to personal taste and tolerance.

Time was I'd be totally fine with that, back when the open world genre was rare enough, especially those of the scope of Todd Howard's own; but times change and there have been too many BotW and suchlike to give Bethesda an instant pass anymore. The jank doesn't charm as much anymore.

100% my thoughts. People shocked that everything is stitched together with loading screens

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Everything I've heard makes me excited for this 🤷‍♂️ Skyrim in space doesn't sound so bad imo

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

They didn't make New Vegas. How can you tell the engine is ropey from a screenshot? How does that screenshot show the game is going to be shít?

They did make New Vegas. Same engine as all of their games b

• Advertisement

Besthesda didn't make New Vegas, they published it I think. It was Obsidian that made New Vegas. Microsoft own Obsidian now but I've seen nothing that suggests they worked on this. It is the same engine but over a decade later. Regardless, how does that image show it will be rubbish, I just don't get what significance it has.

Advertisement