Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: Ahsoka [Disney+]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Jedi IMO worked best as Merlin'esque figures of myth and almost something ineffable. Who were they, what did or could they do? They had a sense of beings outside our reality, not in it.

Plus as you hint at, the biggest crutch is this absolutely bone headed storytelling choice where the nominal heroes are emotionless monks, with actual human responses seen as antithetical to the Jedi code. There's a simple reason no Vulcan has lead a Star Trek show, and instead functioned as emotional foils. It's impossible to create a magnetic lead when they're these robots.

Now, the prequels robbed any mystique of the Jedi and made them look like inert chumps wedded to bureaucracy. Jesus. while it seems dozens survived Order 66 whenever convenient for a story. I've been on record as hating the Jedi so maybe folks are like jaysus STFU but I also think they were best served as flavour, and something mysterious. The more I see of them the less I like em.

I just don't know what purpose Sabine being stabbed with the lightsaber served.

Cheap drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The Jedi worked best when they were all wiped out by Vader and it was only Ben, Yoda and Luke left to carry on the religion. Now, in any Star Wars production (bar 'Andor') they're all over the bleedin place, irrespective of what period the story is set in.

There's more Jedi in operation post Order 66 than there were before it.

But they are as dull as dishwater which is probably down to bad writing than anything else. Most of them try to pull off this bullshit "Oriental" pseudo philosophical mumbo jumbo, complete with naval gazing poses and it just is never anything but tiresome. Dawson is doing the same gig in this series.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,085 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The drama from Sabine's stabbing at the end of episode 1 was a bit redundant considering it was hard to miss the thumbnail on Disney+ for episode 2 showing Sabine and Ahsoka.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

The ratings seem to be poor

https://deadline.com/2023/08/ahsoka-viewership-streaming-1235530030/

"However, the ratings for Ahsoka Episode 1 “Master and Apprentice” are down by 50% from the Live+5 day of Obi-Wan Kenobi, which dropped on May 27, 2022, with that Jedi force pulling in 2.4M households. Ahsoka Episode 1 also is down from the first episode of Season 3 of The Mandalorian by 29%, with that series from Filoni and Jon Favreau earning 1.7M U.S. households in its L+5D. The Mandalorian S3 began streaming on March 1."

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

No episode 3 today on Disney plus ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭chrisire

Hmm,

Was I the only one that thought Hera's son looked more like Ezra than Kanan?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Theory about character secrete identity.

Really hoping Inquisitor isn't either a healed Kanan or a clone. Inquisitors and masks are the norm, and production wise it makes things easier as he's played by a stunt man.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Well that was all kinds of stupid - up there with the scooter gang, maybe even worse

Walking on the outside of a ship in space, doing cartwheels to fight off enemy spaceships

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,102 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The pilot droids very similar to cylons.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

3: Oh my goodness 😲

Well that was a nice little bit of filler story.

I liked how the baddie had the same headset as Anakin in episode III

I liked how the planet

landing scene and the forest around the ship felt a whole like when Lukes X-Wing was on Dagobah

The NAME! 😲

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Relikk

I liked how the baddie had the same headset as Anakin in episode III

Very similar ships to the one Grievous had in III, also.

That was another enjoyable episode, for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,797 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I am enjoying it so far, a lot more compelling than Obi Wan or that Boba Fett nonsense. But nothing near the level of Andor (always nice to see Mon Mothma) or the better bits of the mandalorian. The whole Sabine intro was errr eye rolling ..I am a rebel me driving away on my bike listening to rock music while I should be at an event...zzz, the space walk on the ship/fight thing this week similar.

But enjoying the villains, Ray Stevenson especially (I am guessing Shin might flip sides eventually..) and Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Rosario Dawson both very good, David Tennant also doing a good job with the voice role. I am also a Chop fan and the loth cats were very fun and well done.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The whole Sabine intro was errr eye rolling ..I am a rebel me driving away on my bike listening to rock music while I should be at an event...zzz

Glad someone else mentioned that cos I wondered was I just a cranky old man (both can be true?), but that scene was such a cringey bit of character building: I'm such a rebel, I don't PLAY BY YOUR RULES, I'm driving intensely and thinking about my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I think most people would agree that that scene was bloody awful.

I find that the sith characters are the most interesting… they really need to make a Darth Bane show… a lot of Ashoka just feels feels recycled… not the worse though, and might pick up when Thrawn appears but maybe this whole show is just a set up for a movie

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Forget the storyline....

How has Mary Elizabeth Winstead been keeping that ass hidden for years? Lol.

Ahsoka got changed into her suit pretty quick, especially since it looks like it would be awkward with her (checks google) lekku.

And seems human genes are stronger than Twi'lek going by how human Hera's son looks, with a bit of green.

Caught episode 2 and it's all right. It's more watchable, with more focus and direction than Boba Fett or Mandalorian became. The constant sense this is a sequel to another show (it is, that's fine) kinda gets in the way as maybe more was needed to make it friendlier to newbies. I knew Thrawn from the old EU but like Mando season 3 this show made no attempt to establish who he is and why anyone should care.

The brief fight scene was fun, a bit stiff but had a bit of energy about it. The post Empire bits in the shipyard was a nice bit too. Ray Stevenson still has a good growling energy but it's sad cos you know he so recently passed

• Advertisement

From all the references so far, this feels like cog in the storylines of many stories more than a sequel to one in particular. It has story before it to deal with and story afterwards. Filoni is usually pretty good at this type of work and feels like he's doing it again. I wonder how much he's banked on folks thinking it's just related to Rebels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

I had heard a good bit of negativity around it including that it is "worse than Boba Fett" which set my expectations down to zero.

It's nowhere near as bad as that, and I would say better than Obi Wan as well. Visually excellent, fairly consistent in tone, not as distractingly child-like goofy as Obi Wan and Boba Fett were in many places, well paced and the action is decent.

Not particularly amazing and some absurdly stupid moments here and there but reasonably solid. If the rest of it at least holds to this quality I'll be happy enough with it overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭paulbok

EP04, great episode, big jump in all round quality (pun intended).

It's been a while since I'm actually yearning for the next episode of any tv show.

Just noticed the lightsabers aren't red for Baylan and Shin. More orangey.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,885 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

why she bring her kid along?

Post edited by expectationlost on

huh, thought I posted a reply already... eh something like..

4: liked the episode, the nods to the feeling of Dagobah / Starkiller base forrests.

and that I guessed it might have been Ezra who pulled her through but Anakin makes sense too and it worked with how he looked at the end of Jedi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Relikk

A strong episode, that. Loving Ahsoka's single saber Samurai style, and Ray Stevenson and Ivanna Sakhno are just perfect. They went a bit overboard on the ol' "smoothing" there at the end, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Covering the mouth of a robot, whose mouth doesn't move, to stop him crying out Help. Seems every episode has to have at least one absolutely stupid moment in it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭paulbok

It covered his vocal speaker?

Though why robots in such a technically advanced society can't communicate wirelessly and send a distress com quietly, is more of a stretch

• Advertisement

Did they fail at making Ashoka feel like the character from the cartoons ? It really feels like it’s just rosario dawson in bad make up and prosthetics. Maybe they should have gone with an unknown actor…. Episode 4 wasn’t too bad though, started slow but I’m interested in seeing where it goes…. But it does feel like this whole series is just a set up to a movie.

The show would really benefit from some actual real life locations, Foundation looks a hundred times better.

They didn’t get this one right

Advertisement