Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

You go to school to learn , not to find yourself or express yourself. You've got the remainder of the day and the weekend for all that.I'd imagine most sensible parents would prefer schools focus on academics .Seems like some people love the idea of outsourcing the parenting of children to schools rather than having the parents do it themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭Cordell

Roll-over single vehicle crashes have a very high fatality rate, second to head-on collisions only. Probably because of roof collapsing and exposing the occupants to sudden rotational movements which can result in severe internal injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Youths seem to be getting gayer with each generation, must be something in the water

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Might have something to do with fact that we’d made it slightly less likely that they’ll get seven kinds of sh1te knocked out of them when they start showing their gayerness perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I couldn't really care less about what other people do. No skin of my nose, or yours. You don't have to go to either school so what's your major malfunction?

They can identify as toasters or badgers for all I care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

They're formative years though and the reality is that it's one of the most difficult periods for many people in life. So being different and supporting that difference can be pretty important. I say this as a person who went to a school with a great academic performance but awful support structures for any teens who were struggling in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

It's a trend, nothing more.... 99% of these "Trans" kids will grow up to get married and live a nice suburban hetrosexual family life and cringe when reminded of their younger life choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

As long as the school doesn't allow bullying to go unchecked and informs the parents of a child if they feel there is something wrong with a pupil then I'm really not sure what more than that they should be expected to do.I imagine most schools have always done that (in the last 25 years at least).

Helping someone come to terms with who and what they are is not really within the remit of schools in my opinion and I'd argue schools in no way should they get excessively involved in pupils personal lives.

Some people these days seem to want schools to be involved in the business of raising children rather than just educating them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

I’m from there and the road is straight - weather not great but they were 30 metres from a junction. It’s not a black spot, I’m here 30 years and never seen an accident there.

The media is driving me nuts over this - its like when Aisling Murphy died, the whole country took it over and the poor families couldn’t grieve in peace. The town talks of nothing else, its awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Ultimately no matter what the cause of this crash, it’ll be covered up and / or glossed over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,849 ✭✭✭growleaves

Coldplay peaked with 'Yellow' and should have quit music right after.

Then they'd have been an intriguing one-hit wonder band.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Instead of the multi gazillionaires they became.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I don't know, to me every Coldplay song sounds the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,286 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Blandest band ever… 🥱

• Registered Users Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

I've been in a fatal head-on collision and narrowly avoided other accidents so it makes me particularly nauseous. Three young girls lose their lives right before they're due to start college and for what? Too much of this nonsense been sentimentalised in the media these days. Aggressive driving needs to be called out for what it is and don't encourage other idiots to follow suit knowing they'll get similar tributes and attention in the media if it happens to them.

The thing about young people is they think they'll live forever, it'll never happen to me, death is for old people, stupid people, drunk drivers, whatever.

I don't think 'calling it out' will necessarily work, especially with young male drivers, who think they're the next Stig on Top Gear.

In contrast, single vehicle collisions are quickly forgotten. The media want a story they can build a pity party around.

Re Coldplay: the controversial opinion is that they're good.

I too think they're bland a lot of the time, but I like a few of their songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Single vehicle accidents with only one person in the car are often not "accidents" .... obviously not every case ,before someone gets their knickers in a twist, but a % are not accidents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Agreed - good singles band.

I made a singles compilation of them for my iTunes. 3 CDs worth - it's very solid. One of the most high profile artists not to release a Greatest Hits / Best Of.

The Spanish football manager was unprofessional, it was inappropriate, it was eejity of him - but it has been blown WAAAAAY out of proportion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

There always seems to be an angle of victimhood in women's sports, especially the sports that are not self sustaining it seems. Even though in the case above I think they're not wrong to be annoyed, it's just so off putting. The media organisations that put the money behind these loss making sports are always very eager to highlight these non-sporting issues too.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

That's likely, unless they've gone through surgery or bombed their endocrine system with hormones and regret the whole thing. The stories from some of those people are beyond horrific. It's like something out of a Chuck Palahniuk story.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

Jedward are lovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Ireland did not "save" the EU by bailing out the banks back in 2008. But today, the west want the Chinese government to "save" them from their own economic recklessness by bailing out China`s indebted conglomerates. China is not prepared to do that because like Ireland`s bailout of the banks, bailing out Chinese conglomerates would be fiscally irresponsible in the longer term.

That economic irresponsibility on Ireland`s part is the reason we are sitting on a property price bubble in this country which the parties in power will do everything they can to maintain. But, if the knock on effects of China`s collapsing conglomerates impact the rest of the world, Irish property prices will crash, and no amount of social demand can change what market demand has to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭randd1

1) Taxes on imported food should be based on the distance from the source. The further away you import your food from, the more it should cost you.

2) If we're to tackle climate change, then the car tax should be split in two. The first half should be based on the engine size, with a sliding scale whereby the bigger the engine, it increases the cost of the tax (for example, a 1ltr engine costing €100 for the year, a 1.2ltr costing €120, 1.4 costing €240, 1.6 costing €400, 1.8 costing €1200, 2.0 costing €2800, 2.2 costing €5600 and so on) to encourage people to get smaller cars, particularly those in cities as there's no need for a 2 ltr SUV to drive 5 miles to drop little Tommy to school while living in the suburbs (this part wouldn't apply to vehicles used for business either, just personal vehicles). The other half of car tax should be gathered through use of fuel (the more you use, the more you pay). And remove the carbon tax as it wouldn't be needed.

3) All citizens when interacting with Gardaí should by law have to provide their PPS number as it is the most reliable form of unique identification we have.

4) Following on from 3). The Adult Caution scheme should be overhauled and greater powers should be given to Guards to deal with them as they're petty crime. For a first offence, a normal Adult Caution. Second offence within 3 years of the 1st, Adult Caution and fine of €100. Third offence within 3 years of the 2nd, fine of €200. Fourth offence within 3 years of the 3rd is €300. All other offences after that are €300, unless you have a 5 year period with no offences in which case your "counter" resets to a second offence status. Failure to pay said fine within 3 months and it's taken out of your social welfare/tax at a rate of €50 per week. Fines can accumulate to a max of €3000, after which things then proceed to court. No point bringing repeat offenders to court for petty offences (usually theft or public order) when a Chief Superintendent can be used to authorise the fine, and a Sergeant can administer it.

5) Following on from 4). The age of eligibility for the Adult Caution scheme to be reduced to 16. In terms of the fines for U-18's, they can either be paid in the usual manner, but any fines not paid will be lodged with Revenue/Social Welfare and will come from you first pay check/social welfare payment at a rate of €50 a week upon turning 18.

6) Anybody found carrying a knife, screwdriver or other instrument of such a nature for no good reason should be charged with attempted GBH and fined €2000 of receive a 4 year suspended sentence, as the purpose of carrying such an item is purely to inflict harm/kill. Any U-18 found with such an item is to also have a curfew between 9pm and 7am (unless previously approved at their local Garda station for situations like work, weddings, funerals).

7) Irish soccer will never fix it's problems. It has no vision, no will to make serious changes, even less competence.

8) Fouling, both personal and technical, has become so ingrained accepted in the thinking and so utterly central to the way it's played that going by it's own rule-book, hurling is now a game more for the cheat than the sportsman. There's literally not a team in the sport that doesn't commit less than 50 offences that should be frees in a game at any adult level. It's a sport that has disappeared up it's own arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭cms88

I have no sympathy for hospitality businesses with the VAT going to. As ever we'll hear the sob story about how they'll have no option but to put up their prices now yet how many brought them down when they got their special rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭pgj2015

The Government or Guards should have a secret force who take out serious criminals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Raising the age of criminal responsibility to 12 was a massive mistake, it should go back to 7.

By the time kids get to 13 they know they are untouchable, having had no consequences for their actions up till then.

Advertisement