Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

What's your pace on runs?

Why do you want to change your cadence? I've never really looked at mine tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭shano_88

I don't really want to change it per say just is such a low cadence unusual?

A slow would be 6:30 or so a km.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,070 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Depends on a few things, not least how long your legs are. Giraffes have pretty low cadence but it's never been accurately measured as Garmin don't make a wrist strap big enough.

I have been compared to a giraffe before so could be reasonable!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Cadence gets thrown around a lot, and it's implied that certain cadences are more desirable than others. 180 spm is often quoted as a target. This has largely come about because many elite runners tend to have a cadence roughly in that range. There has been a conclusion drawn that those runners are elite because they have ideal cadence. In reality it's the other way round: they have ideal cadence because they are elite runners. Cadence is an output of running, not an input.

Any remotely half capable runner could teach themselves to run at a specific cadence with minimal training. It's very simple: just put a metronome soundtrack on your headphones and hit the ground on the beat. Will that make you a better runner? Almost certainly not. What if you achieve your cadence goal by (for example) increasing your knee lift, but your real weakness is your glute activation? You've now made a change to a part of your run style that was working well, and haven't done anything with a problematic part of it. You're hitting the "right" cadence, but have become worse at running.

Cadence can be useful feedback as part of a larger view, but it is useless as a single metric. Concentrate on your running form: running drills, mobility/flexibility exercises, and strides are all good for this. If you do these, you may see your cadence increase, but that's a symptom of becoming a better runner, not a cause

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement

Thanks for the very detailed response and something I'll take on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 RickNally

I recommend keeping strength work as part of your training right the way through prep and taper. It takes about 10 days off strength training to see a drop off in your strength levels. So if you stop lifting weights 6 weeks out, by the time you actually come to running the marathon you'll have lost a lot of the strength gains you made. Not to say all of them, there is still benefit for doing strength work even for a short while as will improve the quality of your running technique. But it would be similar to doing your longest long run (e.g. 30km) 2 months before your race and then never doing anything over 10km for the remaining time. There was benefit to it, but you're just slowly losing all the aerobic benefit from that effort. Strength work is no different.

How often are you doing strength work at the moment? And how intense are the sessions?

There is a lot of good advice from what everyone is saying. Getting nutrition right is a very individual thing as everyone reacts differently to different foods, digests at different rates and runs best at different times of the day. I'd recommend experimenting to find what works best for you, and be scientific about it to really narrow down what works. Keep a log of what/when you eat the night before and then change 1 thing at a time (e.g. eat an hour later and see if that helps you to feel more energised in the morning or eat more carbs and fewer fats as it should lead to quicker digestion and lower bloat). Pretty quickly you'll find a good formula of what works for you.

Personally, I had to get up at 5am to run for 2 years while living in Texas. It NEVER got easier or felt good. I tweaked my evening meals to be carb heavy and well salted so that I was well fuelled for the morning. Then I'd have a quick coffee (wake me up and help things along for a pre-run bathroom stop) and a granola bar (eating at that hour was god awful for me but it was easy to get down and didn't upset my stomach) before heading out for a run. I never felt my best but I still ran some great races off the training. It can be a matter of trusting the process at times.

I agree with @28064212 that increasing your cadence alone won't necessarily make you a better runner. But it is a metric that I recommend tracking and looking to see improvements in. There is research to support that lower running cadences may lead to a higher injury risk and slower running speeds, largely because slower cadences are associated with heel striking and more braking force.

Are you doing any speed work as part of your training at the moment?

Very little.

Doing the Galway bay half marathon in October and planning on doing another half marathon in December so trying to do mostly slow runs.

Doing one faster run a week (when I saw faster circa 5:30 a km).

Think I'll look at doing some 10k races early next year. When doing speed work, should I look to see improvements in cadence? By the sounds of the feedback above, I should be looking to improve times/form over time and if I do this cadence should come up with them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I agree.

Twice a week since late June. A mixture of dead lifts and squats and accessory work. More recently, bench presses. He'll put 18-20 minutes on the clock for the main stuff and maybe 14 for accessories. Can be 4 sets of 8-12 reps, with 90 seconds rest, typically. Less on a deload week. He explains it well.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭FinnC

Deadlifts and Farmers walks are some of if not the best exercises you can do for overall strength including your core and are brilliant for runners.

Cross training also an great way of getting aerobic exercise without the pounding of the running.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

I'm very unspecific, anything I have eaten isn't out of intent or planning on my part. Generally I get up at 5, sleep is around 5.5 hours (kids, old dog interrupting sleep), I'll drink some water and just get going. I might eat a banana if I feel hungry and it's there.

If I was heading out on, say 40km, I'd probably eat 1 and half wheetabix because it's easy to eat and doesn't sit there.

The night before it could be anything, from eating some of the kids junk food or toast or some random dinner 🤷🏻

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Ha ha! I’m baaaack…

was here scared I wouldn’t be able to do the 10k then did the 10 mile and now I want to do the HM. I know it’s sold out but is there any chance I could get a bib off someone else? Know who to ask or where to see? Twitter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

I have a question if anyone can help.

I’m new to running and for the last month I’ve been going to the gym and pushing it pretty hard on the threadmill.

I’m 89kg and 5 foot 9 in height so I’ve a bit of weight on me. I’ve sprained both ankles numerous times throughout my life skateboarding and playing football. But recently I’ve done some damage again and I can’t figure out what I’ve done to myself.

Tuesday just gone I had a good workout and ran on the threadmill intervals of jogging and then sprinting for around 34 minutes and clocked 5km in total.

I went home feeling great everything was good until night time I started getting pain in my right foot inner ankle which felt like a sprain but there was no particular point I remember injuring myself. Come Wednesday the pain has subsided and only felt minor. Thursday is much the same except I’m back in the gym. I decided stupidly to be a hero and didn’t want to ditch my routine so I hit the threadmill again and run 3.5km in about 30 minutes but I can now feel the pain beating through my foot.

And here I am now, I haven’t been to the gym since Thursday and still in pain. Depending on the time of day seems to depend on the pain. The pain is almost moving from the inner ankle to the back of my foot above my heal. And also moving around the front of my foot where my leg meets my foot.

has anyone any idea of what kind of injury this might be because google is telling me nothing. It’s been 3 days now since training and I really want to get back to the gym. But I feel like even walking is affecting the healing time and to top it off I start a new job tomorrow.

any help is much appreciated and apologies if I have the wrong thread but just didn’t know where to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Find yourself a good physio to properly diagnose, it's really the best thing you can do here. Good luck with the new job.

Yeah thats very hard to answer tbh. Could be a stress fracture, could be a metatarsal, could be muscular

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Thanks for the replies. Seems to be a lot better today but last night when posting I was in quite a bit of pain.

I think I’m going to just keep resting it as much as possible for a few weeks and go back to running then.

Appreciate the responses. Definitely a weird one! If this thing comes back in a few weeks I’ll be seeing a physio or if it gets worse in the meantime but I’m hoping today is a sign it’s going in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

You should probably go to a physio now. They would give you a set of exercises which will strengthen whatever it is that is causing the pain, at least then you can do this in tandem with your resting and come back stronger!

• Advertisement

I recommend pretty much every runner to include some kind of regular speed work in their training. The biomechanical benefits are going to be big boost no matter what distance you're running. Some short hill sprints are a great starting point as they force you into a good high knee raise and faster cadence.

I'd keep an eye on your cadence as a metric, it's important to check in to see if it is actually progressing. But I'd agree with the advice everyone is giving, if you focus on the quality of your running (e.g. running faster paces and improving race times) and add some speed elements to your training, the rest should take care of itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Has anyone had success mitigating cramping by taking Magnesium?

Taking it daily with Amsterdam marathon in mind and am curious to know if others have had success with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Yes. He communicates very well and the class is pretty small too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Unless you're getting some injuries or niggling problems, I wouldn't be to concerned about it. Everyone is different tall, small, long legs short legs, etc that's before we talk about what feels natural to YOU.

While there are some studies show a faster cadence can reduce landing force on the joints, (external forces) there's very little evidence to say it reduces injuries over all. For one thing unloading a joint might actually place more stress on the muscles, and tendons (internal forces) so it would be to simplistic to say just increase the cadence to reduce injuries.

I'd suggest that if its not broken don't try to fix it. If you're injury free just enjoy your running.

Here is a very good podcast which covers cadence

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4I9lokekXozo5y8gT05WxG?si=DV-Y0PJATo2QKhNCh6tVrw

No, but I do suffer with cramps so might be something I start to take myself

What do folks here generally eat if doing a session at 7pm, home by 8.20/8.30? Would you eat dinner before you go or wait until you get home? Just trying to find the right balance energy wise and looking for ideas!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Personally I wouldn't eat anything beyond lunchtime and would eat dinner afterwards. I tend to eat dinner quite late anyway, 9pm ish so my body is possibly used to it.

A good lunch should see you well fuelled for an evening session but if peckish a banana or nuts would be my go to. Probably the only things I can eat and run on straight afterwards.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Eat afterwards generally, normal lunch, something small around 3 or 4 works for me. Wouldn't be able to do a sesison after eating any later.

That's what I have been doing with varying degrees of success/failure but actually I think it's what I'm eating at lunchtime that's the culprit. A decent sambo seems to do the trick, a lentil salad, not so much...😃.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'd wait till I get home also. You're only going to feel sick if you try eating dinner beforehand. I wouldn't worry about it affecting your session too much, assuming you eat enough in general, a few hours since lunch isn't going to drain your glycogen stores even if your brain is telling you it's a bit peckish.

Advertisement