Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Serious Car Crash

Options
  • 29-08-2023 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭

Breaking news this evening from near Cashel.

Obviously details to be confirmed. There've been a lot of serious incidents on our roads this year so far - while probably down on numbers from a decade or so ago the trend is worrying and these injuries and deaths of profound impacts on families and communities.

I don't wish to speak of any singular incident, especially this one, but do any incident reports come out after these incidents and is there anything to be learned from them in relation to reducing the causes of them again?

I wish the best of wishes to those involved in the incident above.

Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Will_I_Amnt

Local media reporting 3 fatalities of 5 passengers in the car

• Registered Users Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Be right back

What is going on? Really terrible news again for the same area.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

It’s just seems so close (time wise) to the other tradgedies . A terrible burden for families and the wider communities too.

ive a nearly 16year old who can’t wait to get driving. Then you hear about these mass tradgedies and you are tempted to drive them around always. Not possible I know. God love those left behind after this accident. So sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Reports that there are 3 fatalities including a child

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭BagofWeed

There must be something in the air it's been a tragic summer all round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,007 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

ive a nearly 16year old who can’t wait to get driving. Then you hear about these mass tradgedies and you are tempted to drive them around always. Not possible I know. God love those left behind after this accident. So sad.

All you can do is make sure you get them the best instructor you can and teach them what you have learned from experience then hope they listen and do not pick up any bad habits.

As for this latest crash it is very sad and so close to the last tragedy.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

We always hear that Gardai are investigating crashes but then time passes and I don't think that the results are often made public when the reasons are established. You'll always get people saying that "this is not the right time" etc so invariably it gets glossed over or swept under the carpet. It's the same with most suicides.

People will speculate when the facts are suppressed.

Post edited by NewbridgeIR on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Think this thread is more than a bit insensitive given that people have died and families are in mourning .

I am sure ye will all find out eventually what happened but maybe put a lid on it for the moment in case anybody grieving should read this .

RIP those that have died .

• Registered Users Posts: 86,251 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

I drive a coach for a living and have driven all over Europe as well as been all over the world on my motorbikes. I have no idea what caused this particular crash and am not speculating on this particular accident but we have a serious problem with how people in rural Ireland drive their cars and motorcycles in regards speed compared to other parts of the world I've driven/ridden in.

I've observed how for whatever bizarre reason in Ireland despite the road itself getting more dangerous the driver/rider tends to instead of slowing down views it as some sort of challenge and in fact speeds up. I've noticed the complete opposite in other countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I agree, I do think it's in the public interest to know what was the main cause of the fatality.

With air bags, side impact bars and airbags in theory cars are much safer now than 20 years ago.

As a road user I'd like to learn from others "mistakes". Covering up the reason for the fatality let's the person die in vain. If they were on their phone, watching Netflix, not wearing seatbelts let it be known. Let them be the poster child of what happens if you take stupid risks.

While I know most of us fast forward adverts etc I do think the safety campaign adverts from the late 90's early 00's should be updated and re-released.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,412 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

BBC reporting it was a male and female rear passenger and infant boy who died. Driver and passenger being treated in hospital for serious injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Irish times reporting 2 adults (grandparents) and their 3 year old granddaughter died. Child’s parents suffered serious injuries.

Post edited by .Donegal. on

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

"I don't want to speculate but....

...I'm going to anyway"

None of us know what happened

Thread closed while I delete some posts that are totally unacceptable

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Thread re-opened. Please show some respect when posting in a threads like this. People who may be close to the people involved could be reading these comments.

And for those who claim that the reasons for such crashes are not released, that's exactly what inquests are for. Let the relevant authorities determine any cause or fault.

Any questions PM me - do not respond to this post in thread.

RIP to those who have lost their lives. Hopefully others involved will be OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Be right back

I really hope that none of the emergency services that attended last Friday's incident were involved in this awful accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

A number of years ago two friends of mine lost family members in separate incidents.

one had a massive stroke or brain haemorrhage (according to his brother who survived) while driving and was probably dead before the car hit the wall.

the other had a heart attack. He was able to talk to first responders before he passed and described what happened.

both of those were attributed to road fatalities, however they could just as easily died at home.

not all car deaths are car deaths. Not all details are released to the general public.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭prunudo

I can't remember the last time I saw a traffic related garda checkpoint. Maybe this is leading to a level of complacency about traffic laws and seat belt wearing, particularly rear passenegers.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I would concur that road safety enforcement is pretty much non-existent. When the Gardai don't police the roads and the RSA spend their time telling schoolkids to put on builders vests if they don't want to be killed then you invariably see road users flout the laws with impunity!

Edit: just to clarify that I'm not speculating that recent fatalities are the result of flouting the laws.

Post edited by Seth Brundle on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You’re making a great case for regular medical certification for all drivers. If we’re going to have people operating lethal equipment in public places, we need them to be safe.

Details of such deaths would come out in inquests.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭prunudo

Truck and bus drivers require a medical every 5 years. Don't see any reason why other licensee's can't have a medical every 10 years upon renewal, or at a very minimum a fresh eyesight test.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭893bet

don’t know where that young couple are going to look for support when they wake up, devastating

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭i124Q

I was overtaking a male driver, in his 60/70s who increased his speed during the maneuver, putting everybody at risk. There are entitled pricks out there who should be banned. I caught it all on dash cam, reported it and all the gardai could do was call him and warn him. He potentially got a couple of penalty points. The system is a joke. Hence you have lunatics out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭Field east

I agree re not commenting/speculation on this tragedy. RIP on the three lost souls. But is there a balance somewhere ? The ideal time , from a learning , technical , objective perspective, to highlight something - whatever the tragedy is -and to have the highest impact is to explain the background/ what happened / the cause/ solutions, etc is when it is still FRESH in our minds. That’s when the message re how to avoid a repeat can be the most effective. Having said the above we still need to be very sensitive to the families left behind.

There is a county, on the road between Athlone and Sligo, which has put a white cross, for every person killed, on the spot where it occurred. I found them VERY striking. There are clusters of them at black spots, bad bends , etc.

what better reminder - A CONSTANT REMINDER -can one get to drive more carefully - ESPECIALLY ON SPOTS WHERE PEOPLE HAVE BEEN KILLED

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

No idea why this could be happening

The laws have never been so restrictive and yet we are seeing more deaths

it’s a strange one

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Was it made even more dangerous by the fact that it was a narrow road with a bad bend a short distance in front and you had no way of seeing oncoming traffic? He should have known your time was more important than everyone else's.

The most dangerous thing on the roads are entitled drivers with no sense of their own faults and blaming everyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭Field east

Gov should now carry out a really DEEP ROOT AND BRANCH review of the whole driver/ road user area of our society - including driver testing , refresher testing, road surfaces, signage, sight lines, categorisation of reasons for all crashes over the past , say, 5 years, etc, etc.

irrespective of general road /driving conditions, the driver is the KEY as to whether each journey will be carried out safely or not. Another key is any passenger in the vehicle may be in a position to advise the driver on better driving practices. A third key is those parents/guardians - especially re young people who have just passed the driving test - who have ‘some influence’ to have rules/ ‘advice’ around giving the family car for them to drive.

One aspect I think that needs a very serious review is the driving test process. It , in no way , captures the whole driving experience that we all - almost all- will come across in our lives. Could special testing centres be set up where a learner driver can experience the effect of driving on bald tyres, aqua planing, speeding around bad turns, etc. I know that there would be safety issues involved . But they might be carried out by professionals in a very controlled fashion. , shown real life situations on video, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

It's a combination of things I think.

Some roads are in shyte , hit a pothole at speed , you'll probably end up in a certain amount of bother!

Not wearing seatbelts, more a country thing than a Dublin thing, but I've still seen it in Dublin.

As I've kids that are older than baby's I've noticed carseats are not as prevalent in cars. I'm just on the required height for a seat so I have a fair idea of how tall a child is (or isn't) ...granted it's mostly the school run or training sessions, so Dublin suburb driving. I would hope the carseat comes out for motorway and long distances.

Phones, people can't leave them out of their hands for any length of time.

Then just taking stupid risks. They eventually catch up on you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

It's probably better to discuss road safety in general than specific incidents.

Something is very wrong at the moment and a new approach is needed to address the issues that are leading to these tragedies.

Glazers Out!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement