Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭RoTelly

RTÉ Commissioning editor: How is this a PSA

Indo: Healthy Ireland ?

RTÉ Commissioning Editor: Maybe

Indo producer: Irish Dental Association

RTÉ Commissioning Edtior : Sound and Vision

Indo producer: it has potential yes

RTÉ Commission Editor: Cross boarder production?

Indo producer: Dental assoication of Bulgaria might be interested along with the Bulgarian Tourism Board

RTÉ Commission Editor : Sponsorship

Indo producer: Yeah maybe if its sponsored by Oral B?

RTÉ Commission Editor: Free electric tooth brushes brilliant

Indo producer: so your commissioning it

RTÉ Commission Editor: Yes first we will write up a letter for each of the different organizations and then will pay the remainder of the cost of the show.

Indo producer: how much will you give us

RTÉ Commissioning editor: oh! as little as possible, people love an email from RTÉ!

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Seems to be a little ‘drawback’ from the full disclosure out in Rteland.

Hmmm…. Wonder will the middle grunts get a bit bolshy if a few ‘little earners’ are threatened.

What was that little ‘school’ that was scuppered in the Midlands a good while back….uhmm.

Big frogs in small ponds comes to mind this poster might wonder, book launches and stuff duddnt wash their own faces like….eeehh ??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

A register of interests or a declatation of conflict of interest is standard practice in any medium to large organisation, for all employees. Most will do it in induction, along with other standard Hr stuff. The fact they are now introducing this for 'some' is just more gaps in actual governance that were never there

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Yes, I think it's extraordinary that such a register was not already in place.

On a separate note, with all the reports about the offers Tubridy is supposed to be receiving, what if some station was genuinely going to offer him something but when they see all the offers he already has on the table, they decide that they just can't compete! 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

A register of interests is absolutely no good if its not published - especially for public facing individuals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Both Garrihy and Ryan earn well over €73,000.

Garrihy would earn far more than Ryan, not just in RTÉ, but also for her many, many, many side gigs.

She sold out the BG Energy Theatre for not one but two live recordings of her podcast. Approx. 4,000 people paid on average €45 to watch her record a podcast filled with “stars” from the NKM stable. Think about that.

She also got €27k (from memory) from Horse Racing Ireland to promote amongst other things, Cheltenham - a force racing event in another jurisdiction. HRI are partially Govt.-funded btw.

She’s also a car brand ambassador for….wait for it….Renault. I’m not making that up.

And her agent is……Noel Kelly.

It never ceases to amaze me how little people are aware of what is going on in this county.

Yes Mr. Duffy has a house in a gated community in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭Tow

73k is way too high for a Register of Interests, I would like to know where they got that number from. It should also be public for all staff who influence output, tallent, producers, management, researchers etc.

There should also be a Gift Register with a low limit. eg >25 euro from a individual/entity per year.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Registered Users Posts: 11,886 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭Tow

Researchers on a 'low' salary still have a influence on output.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Garrihy definitely does, she hosts the 2FM morning show, co-host DWTS and now has a hidden camera show. She's getting at least €90,000 for Radio alone IMO.

Lottie I am not sure about, she doesn't have a high profile in RTÉ, but what would a continuity announcer in RTÉ earn a year?

Anyone got that list of top 100 earners, I have never seen it myself. Any links to it?

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 33,613 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I am convinced NKM owns, or at least has an interest in, both extra.ie and rsvplive.ie

They seem to love bumming up Tubs and his stablemates

All 3 hosts of 2FM Breakfast are NKM "talent".

Why that show needs 3 hosts is a valid question in itself, why all 3 are from the NKM stable is another; but how 2 of the 3 hosts who had absolutely NO previous radio experience before getting the flagship show on the national station got the gig in the first place is in my humble opinion the most pertinent.

Carl Mullen probable the only professional (Did he not kind of work his way up) is possibly not on €73k, but Donnacha is on at least €100k because he is a big rugby star, and then you have his hidden camera show and Ireland's Fittest Family.

Carl's had a food show last year.

______

Yesterday

I think you're being a little naive if you don't think he's on at least that €100k for the TV and Radio show, esp. as he's NKM.

All 3 breakfast hosts are on the Full Irish Hidden Camera Show too, which is currently being repeated (as usual for RTE) on Sunday nights at the moment, so likely getting repeat fees for it at the moment.

We're really lucky to have such amazing talent in this country, and even luckier to have repeats of their world class TV shows in case we missed them the first 23 times they were aired.

Those rags - and indeed the more reputable “news”papers in this country - will print almost anything. It’s zero cost to them, and fills websites and the print editions with content.

If the internet had been more ubiquitous in 2001 we’d have been reading about Osama Bin Laden taking time out of his busy day to have a frappé in downtown Abbottobad. Well we would if he had a certain agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭stevejr

"... Kelly's only 'talent' as a manager is negotiating with a mismanaged rte"

That's a great point.

He seems to have been pushing an open door at RTE. So his success can mean very little in terms of his ability to now operate in the real world. Normal everyday reality where not every Top Exec is as pliable, and usually not complicit.

He seems to have only 2 real strategies in the playbook. Aggression and media savvy.

But NKM being frozen out at RTE coupled with the reputational damage can only be seen as a mortal blow to his business, in it's current shape and form.

Shame for the regular staff that work there. It's the Regular Joe's in any business who seem to bear the brunt of their supposed Betters misbehaviour.

Lions led by Donkeys, as they say.

What's the reason for being reasonable?

Is that an unreasonable question?

Don't take my naivety away sometimes it just better this way! 😂

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭hawley

After reading an article in Saturday's Irish Independent, I'm convinced that Geraldine O'Leary was more than partially responsible for NK's influence in RTE. They definitely seemed to have a very strong relationship and knew each other for a long time.

Even at the PAC, she had the same mantra as NK, about how much money the top stars brought into RTE. Noel Kelly started negotiating, on behalf of Gerry Ryan, with RTE in 1998, a year after she joined. As soon as she left, it seems like RTE are no longer willing to facilitate him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

100% she has a lot more to tell. Forbes and O'Keefe too but O'Leary is hiding a lot.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭buried

Geraldine O'Leary.

To quote Jimmy Doyle from The French Connection - "That table is definitely wrong"

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Perhaps Bakhurst's dismissal of the Executive Board en masse back in early June wasn't fully appreciated for it's significance at the time.

With O'Leary magnanimously bringing forward her retirement and Forbes doing a bunk. Makes it suspicious since Innocent people don't tend to run.

A few other posters pointed out also that the Board were paying these exhorbitant rates to the talent to justify their own exhorbitant salaries.

Millions of quid pro quo.

He didn't actually only 1 was removed (Collins), 1 is sick (Jennings) , 1 took a slightly earlier retirement then plan (O'Leary) and 1 resigned (Covney).

Meantime one got a promotion (Lynch).

Not if you are suggesting Mr. PR himself.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Orange-Coca-Cola

There was an article in a paper a couple of months back that peeked into GOL's way of life and possibly her morals. IIRC her husband was a director of some company, and was then banned for five years from being a director in any company. She then tried unsuccessfully to get him into rte.

There are missing parts to that obviously, as it was read out to me on a very, very busy day and I had planned on going back to it, but never stopped. It was roughly half a week later that I would have been able to read it, but never got back to it. I think it may have been the tabloid the mail. I believe that article may have contributed to her mental health deteriorating so rapidly if you believe it was that and not the fear of being found out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

If we're to have any faith in rte ever again, the DG needs to have everything and everyone playing by the same rules. Everything out in the open. Rules in place re. what presenters can and can't do while working in rte.

I truly don't care and probably wouldn't even know/remember the salaries of these people il, it's the secrecy, underhanded carry on and sheer greed that pees me off.

With this GoL and NK etc running the show no wonder rte churned out the same presenters in the same mind boggling stupid time fillers year after year.

As a law abiding citizen I will pay the tv licence in December when it's due, and I don't even have any tv stations on my tv, and it sticks in my gut to do so and I will begrudge them every cent..so there😁

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radio1/clips/22272380/

They mostly jumped before they were pushed in that case.

But you are entirely correct, in the sense that the situation was indeed more nuanced than some of the headlines at time suggested.

Lynch's promotion, a bit of an outlier in the circumstances; may possibly mean he wasn't seen by Bakhurst as being as culpable as some of his colleagues.

My main point was that innocent people don't tend to run.

Would you have a link to that?

Be an interesting read.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

O'Keefe had already benefitted from a massive but very dodgy redundancy. She refused to appear a 2nd time but did watch and text in.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement