Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Irish politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Wexford I'm guessing will be split into two 3 seaters. Possible a North/South divide but an West/East along the local council lines might work aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,413 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Yes, I know 6 seaters aren't allowed due to legislation.

What I don't want is more 3 sesters due to pop growth.

I have seen DL and WEX mentioned already.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Only 14 extra seats recommended which doesn't meet the constitutional requirements.

I sense a referendum to change that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭rock22

The increase in 3 seater constituencies, from 9 to 13, will make it harder for smaller parties. One of the benefits of our multi-seat electoral system is that representation is afforded to small parties and minority voices. Does this increase in 3 seater constituencies limit this

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It meets the constitutional requirements, just. The maximum number of TDs is one per 20,000 of the population; the minimum is one per 30,000. This will give us one per 29,600, which is just above the minimum.

• Advertisement

Given our rising population, it won't be long before the boundaries have to be changed again.

I don't see a need for a small country like ours to have in excess of 200 TDs for example.

Dublin West is now a 5 seater and enters the possibility of Leo bringing in a running mate or else a second Sinn Fein seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,820 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Leo may not even run there, he doesn't live in the constituency which rarely works well (Bertie got away with it somehow)

They should have gone to 181 and left the Dublin and commuter belt constitutencies with significant breathing room to avoid doing this all again in 2027.

The Boundary Commission also doesn't see the need for 200+ TDs; they have gone for close to the minimum number. But, inevitably, doing that means that less time will pass before population increases require a further revision.

We won't need 200+ TDs until the population exceeds 6 million.

We'll have 6 million before the end of the decade I suspect.

Leo is from the area and his parents still live there.

D15 is so diverse anyway. I'm not sure people are that bothered about where the TD is from or where they live.

I get the impression this is more of a rural concern.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,833 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The Wicklow changes are interesting, as all of the existing Wicklow TDs are from the area in Wicklow that is essentially losing a seat. Brady and Matthews are Bray, while Whitmore, Donnelly and Harris are Greystones.

It'll be curious to see if all 5 of them chance staying put in the next election, or if any of them opt to run in the new constituency instead. Donnelly got in on the 5th count last time, while Brady comfortably topped the poll but I'm not sure what impact losing the southern half of the county would have on his vote total.

Edit: Just noticed The Irish Times have made the exact same point!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Ivan reckons the Shinners should gain 12 of the 14 seats. Interesting times ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭Francis McM

200 TDs? Who said we will need anything like that number? The UK has a population of 68 million - nearly 14 times our population - and has only 650 members of Parliament (MPs).

De Valera did. We need one per 30k population max unless we amend the constitution

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭PommieBast

From a quick eyeball there's about a dozen seats where they were above half a quota in surplus votes in 2020 so this seems a safe-ish bet.

The would be expecting to gain rather a lot more than 12 in total.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

But were those in the areas where the new seats are being added?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Ruth Coppinger could get back in again as well.

Senator Emer Currie will be Leo's running-mate/replacement.

Mary McCamley/John Walsh will run for Labour.

Paul Donnelly will have either Natalie Treacy or Breda Hanaphy as his running mate, as he'll hardly have the wife who took his council seat running with him.

It won't be a huge ticket as FF and Greens will only run one, and there aren't significant independent councillors around.

Leo Varadkar and Emer Currie, Jack Chambers, Paul Donnelly plus one, Ruth Coppinger, Roderic O'Gorman and Labour make for eight candidates for five seats. Of course local elections could throw up something surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Amend the constitution then. Everything else in the world has changed since DeValeras time. Cities in Europe the same size as the population of Ireland get by fine with a tiny fraction of the amount of (overpaid) politicians we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Some interesting moves in Cork:

• Mallow (14k) gets moved from East Cork to Cork North Central
    • 19k worth of Ballincollig gets moved from Cork North West to Cork North Central (which is going from 4 to 5 seats)
    • Bishopstown & Glasheen are getting moved back to Cork South Central from Cork North Central (they got moved in 2016) which also returns back to being a 5 seater.
    • Cork South West remains entirely untouched

The Mallow move is bad new for Sean Sherlock. He might need to move to CNC to chase that vote.

CNW, which famously has never elected a TD from a party other than FF/FG gets even more rural with the loss of that Ballincollig vote.

Jerry Buttimer lost his seat in 2016 when his Bishopstown support base got moved. It will be interesting to see if he fancies another crack at it now that the constituency is basically the way it was when he won his seat in 2011.

Holly Cairns will likely be happy to see that Kinsale is still in her constituency.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Cities don't tend to have to worry about things such as Foreign Affairs. They are not remotely comparable. If we look at similar sized countries, Finland has 200 members in their parliament, Sweden has 349, Norway has 169, Portugal has 230. We are not an outlier.

That being said, the current constitutional constraints are clearly not going to work for much longer and it is something that will need to be looked at.

Post edited by Podge_irl on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Its all been done before on another thread, but the idea of political repreaentatives scaling with population will have to come to an end soon enough.

Your vote carries as much weight on affairs in dail eireann whether there were 100 or 1000 TDs. In either case your say is worth about 1/5mil

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Need to re-check but at least some certainly were.

CNC has its own comparatively strong Labour vote but also has its own comparatively strong candidate.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It absolutely will have to come to an end, but its not urgent. Something to be looked at this decade to ideally future proof things.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Does it? I'd consider myself a political anorak and I had to google it to see who the ran last time out. Maher polled 8th with 5%. Is that who you are on about or do they have someone else coming through?

That is comparatively strong for Labour these days basically, although I didn't realise it was only 5%. He did better in the 2019 by-election, and also came second and was one of only two to meet the quota in the 2019 LE in one of the core north city wards.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Sherlock will have to go with Mallow.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,910 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

He clearly expected his policies of grinding poverty and mass emigration to continue indefinitely...

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Advertisement

Very possibly. In which case, if we think 200+ TDs is too many, we'll need a constitutional amendment.

Maybe we need to question the idea that the size of a parliament should be determined by the size of the population. If you think that the main function, or one of the main functions, of a parliamentarian is to attend to the needs, wants, concerns and problems of individual constituents then, yes, the ratio of TDs to constituents matters. If you have too few TDs, then individual TDs wiill be hugely overworked while at the same time individual constituents will be inadequately served.

If you think that isn't or shouldn't be among the prime functions of a TD, then I think you have a problem, because Irish political culture and the expectations of many voters suggest that your position is a minority one. If you want a higher constituent-to-TD ratio to be a viable political proposition, then you're going to have to work on changing the culture, so that people cease to see involving their TD as the primary way of getting their administrative and governmental issues addressed.

But suppose you could wave a magic wand and change the culture. There would then be no need to have any particular ratio of TDs to constituents, so population size shouldn't determine the size of the parliament, or at least it shouldn't be the primary determinant. But if that shouldn't, what should? If parliament isn't attending to individual constituents planning applications, etc, what is it attending to? And how many members does it need to do that effectively?

One way to think about this is to look at what other countries do and, in fact, the relationship between population size and parliament size is a much-studied topic in political science. Taagapera's Law, first formulated around fifty years ago, suggests that the optimal size of the main or only house of parliament is about equal to the cube root of the population. Studies since then have suggested that this need to be refined to take account of political participation rates, literacy levels and other factors but in advanced industrialised democracies these adjustments have little impact. Taagapera's law suggests that Ireland, with a population of 5.033 million, should have about 172 TDs, so the boundary review report gets it more or less right for current conditions. But the same law suggests that, if we had a population of 6 million, we should have 182 TDs, not 200.

Advertisement