Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Serious Car Crash

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

I know the one you're talking about but what struck me is that the money would have been better spent on improving the road which was barely drivable at the time. Those metal crosses wouldn't be great on impact either.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,532 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Another tragedy, more lives lost unnecessarily. May they rest in peace.

But we do need to have an honest discussion about our roads and the high number of deaths on them. To continue to call these incidents 'freak accidents is just putting our heads in the sand and not helping any side of the argument at all.

I don't think blaming the guards for not enough checkpoints or not enough speed vans is a valid thing to do. When we all pass our test, we have to realise we are in control of a very dangerous piece of machinery, and we have to handle it responsibly. Don't speed, don't take silly risks, stay off the phone, respect other road users etc. It's all quite simple really, but unfortunately too many people ignore the basics. I witness examples of all the faults every single time I go out in the car. Mobile phone use is the major scourge now. The number of drivers approaching me with their eyes focused down to their lap is frightening

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Actuaslly, enforcement is critical. If you have no enforcement then people will do things they should not be doing.

Expecting that drivers having passed the test should know better is the approach being taken by the ever-incompetent RSA with their endless crusade of reminding and urging drivers not to break the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭BagofWeed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

There needs to be a lenghty road safety campaign with garda presence. Its like we have forgotten to drive.

Earlier in the summer I was driving home from work near 5pm on the M7 near birdhill and a car in front of me was constantly swerving between the lane going 100k. I eventually managed to pass to discover female early 20s applying her foundation while driving. Makeup brush in 1 hand mirror in the other.

• Advertisement

But even if the Gardai put out 100x the number of checkpoints, you have to remember that it would still only affect a tiny tiny proportion of those using the roads.

There are hundreds of thousands of cars on the roads at any one time, over the same amount of kms of roads, the chances of ever meeting a checkpoint are still negligible.

The guards are easy to blame. It's not them speeding, driving dangerously, driving under the influence etc. Is there no personal responsibility at all?

If we need a road safety campaign to tell people it's not right to apply their makeup whilst driving, I despair for the human race.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,279 ✭✭✭Gusser09

We need to get away from the revenue generated approach of how we tackle road safety. We all know and see it. Speedvans in locations where there is low to zero serious risk of accidents. Checkpoints for tax. When was the last time your tyres were inspected at a checkpoint?

AGS and the RSA have a huge part to play in the lax approach to the rules of the road that has set it.

Re: trying to catch people speeding.

We live in a country where 99% of the population will flash an oncoming driver to warn them of a speed trap up ahead.

Or where we have Facebook accounts telling you where checkpoints are.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

When you see these utterly tragic news stories, and then you see 'single vehicle crash', the only conclusion you can arrive at (rightly or wrongly) is excessive speed was involved..

In the RTÉ article on yesterday's crash, they reference the tragic crash from Friday, and the below line is quite startling;

They were on their way to celebrate when the car they were travelling in overturned and hit a stone wall.

Cars can easily overturn when struck by another car, or if they are a big SUV type vehicle, but for a car to overturn on its own... that'd take some doing.. or hitting something at very high speed.

There is simply no enforcement of the rules over here... Are there even any fixed speed cameras in the country? I see some lines on the M1 where there used to be a camera, but the camera hasn't been there in years... Anyone ever drive around the U.K. in semi rural areas? Every single town/village you enter/leave has speed cameras at the entry/exit of these places...

• Advertisement

How exactly would you tackle road safety if fines aren't part of the punishment?

The money generated from speeding fines doesn't cover the cost anyhow!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Laws are f all use if ignored and not enforced.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I can tell you that its far less than 99%, on my way home everyday there is always a van on one side of the road. Approx 1 in 20 vehicles may flash to warn others but alot of the time nobody flashes anymore.

I wont flash to warn anyone because if they are speeding then they should be caught plain and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭rogber

Very sad, though was quite surprised to see the two adults in their forties were the grandparents, not the parents!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Get him his W licence and he can drive a 4 tonne tractor with a silage trailer on the road legally. He won't even have to do a test. 😡

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭thebourke

How many people have died on the roads so far this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭howiya

124 so far. Significantly up on the 100 to this date in 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

Herein lies the problem, a terrible terrible tragedy and I'm so so sorry for everyone who's suffering such an un imaginable loss this morning,

but for far too long this is all swept over and no lessons learned, the dust settles families are destroyed and suffering but nothing changes, at some point the facts must come out and despite the loss perhaps people might learn lessons, there was a local crash near me many years ago and despite speculation etc we never heard what actually happened, we all know it was speed as it was clear to see for everyone who drives by the memorial left on a daily basis, enforcement is needed and it needs to change, penalties and fines at a level where most will think twice, red lights, dangerous overtaking etc, and mainly speed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Obvious issues & desperate road tragedy in Tipperary & other parts of the country so Gardai set up a checkpoint in slow moving sedate traffic in South County Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭thebourke

do the RSA authority ever release figures on a yearly basis what causes the accidents?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ARX

I was in Dalkey at the weekend and counted 54 illegally parked cars on Hyde Rd. The Dalkey Lobster Festival was in progress: there were at least eight Gardai in attendance and each end of Castle St was blocked off by a Garda car.

Did any of those Gardai think of having a walk around the area to check for illegal parking, given the large number of people present?

Is it any surprise that people drive so badly when the most easily detectable of offences is ignored by the Gardai when it's happening right under their noses? The State has long made it clear that you can do as you please in a car.

Sure stand outside almost any garda station and count the number of illegally parked cars which usually belong to the gardai themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Randle P. McMurphy

124 deaths seems a big price to pay for convenience. I'd like to see all private cars phased out over time with an adequate public transport system introduced to replace them, but I know that will never happen. I'm also puzzled as to how so many cars are driving in to walls at such a force that most the occupants are being killed. Modern cars are built to be much safer in a crash, not to mention the compulsory seat belts front and back. There needs to be a proper investigation to what's going on and steps taken to address it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Almost certainly because we don't enforce those restrictive laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It's an unrealistic approach for so many reasons even if it could be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Deub

I agree. Every single morning I go to the office I see the same 4 things: people passing red lights, people stopping on double yellow lines to go to shops or drop the kids, people stopping in yellow boxes and therefore, blocking traffic and people on the phone.

The only enforcement I see from time to time is speed vans (3-4 times/year). There is no fear of being fined so people pick up bad habits and eventually, there is always one day that is not like the others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Not obviously commenting on this particular incident (RIP to all), but I think sometimes, especially on the smaller country roads, not reading the road properly is the root cause, not speed. I think speed is the secondary cause.

Telling people to “slow down” just hasn’t worked - even if you’re not exceeding the speed limit, you may well be driving too fast for the road conditions- tight bends, unexpected behaviour etc etc

Id like to see more emphasis placed on “reading the road” and “anticipating problems”- if you do that, you might take less risks and reduce speed at certain points .

Saying “speed is the cause” is sometimes just not helpful - yes an accident may not have occurred had the person not been going so fast but how do you encourage someone to “not go so fast”? Maybe encouraging them to “read the road” might help - most of us stick to the speed limit - those that want to speed will likely continue to speed- but maybe there’s a chance of less accidents if these people start to “read the road” a bit more.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement