Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I'm going to take a wild guess and say BG have yearly electricity hedges that expire at the end of August and yearly gas hedges that expired somewhere in the middle of August. It's interesting that they aren't offering everyone the same discounts. It looks like electricity will go all the way to 44% if you wait?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Electricity only contract with BGE is up in mid October. Only renewal plan I see when I sign in is 10% discount

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

I took the plunge and signed up my mum’s BG account. Continuing on the 33% discount for a further 12 months. 24hr rural rate 32.something. Dad disabled and mum has dementia so I just wanted to tick it off the list of things that need doing.

My own OBS contract expires late October so my account isn’t showing any offers yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭wassie

BG will send out an offer 45 days out from contract expiry. Phoned up last night and the customer service officer to see if they could match 44% as others are being offered (did not mention Boards specifically).

CS told me the best they could do was 10% - despite my protestations that I was looking at my online account offering renewal 39% discount! Politely suggested that they need to go and get informed as to whats actually happening.

Going to hold out for a bit longer as not out of contract until end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Good to see things going in the right direction in terms of prices coming down. However 33c for a unit of electricity which is what BG have offered me is still ridiculously high compared to circa 16c I was paying in 2020. If the Gov. repeat their €600 credit in the upcoming budget I'll be happy but I fear they may try and taper it back to €400/€500.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I'd be happier without any government credit and seeing unit prices themselves dropping/ discount percentage increasing. Nice to see something happening all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 puntyboy82

My contract was up today. They were offering me a 10% discount to renew last week by email , and even 3 days ago on the site it was still only 10%. I logged in today to submit my final reading and to switch to another provider and I was shocked to see them offering me the 39% discount again which I gladly accepted. It must be right up at the final days of your contract they offer the bigger discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭CoBo55

What unit price are you getting? It certainly looks like they're fighting back to retain customers, Flogas and Waterpower have put manners on them, Energia must be feeling the pinch too, EI don't seem to care as they have a huge numbers of non switchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭wassie

Thats the whole point of competition. If prices are stabilising or falling, then it offers the opportunity for new players to enter the market - just as as we saw smaller players leave the market when prices were rising quickly.

No. The new discounts have only been offered in the last 24 hours. Im 4 weeks out and received 39% discount on renewal. Im pushing for 44% as other have been offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I'm out of contract with Energia today, only being offered 15%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭John arse

The fookers only offered me 14%,!!!,what is your plan Phil?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

That's their standard day/night. The fella did say that they're currently offering existing customers a slightly better rate than new ones, not sure if that's why you got the shaft.

I'm not taking it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭John arse

No i’m with energia myself, contract up 2moro. Interesting what's happening at B G though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

Just checked my BG account, and they are offering 38% off both. I have nearly a month to go on the current deal, so I'll hang on for a few weeks. No mention of what the night rate will be though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Derpados

I am on duel fuel standard rates and BG offered me 38% off gas and 17% off electricity. My contract is up in a few weeks and I currently get 33% off both. Should I wait or take that offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

Looks like you should hang on until much nearer the end

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭mossy464

Contacted BG to see if they could offer anything better than 15% dual fuel discount on smart plans but no budging. Contract ended last week

• Registered Users Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Rang ifa. They are through bord gais. 42.26 day

20.88 night including vat and 20% discount

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭GoodGamerGuy

Doing the calculations, with SSE I paid 1375 over the past year in electricity and gas combined.

They sent me a link to their renewal rates and it says the estimated annual total for me is 3750. So they doubled their rates or what?

Not sure what to do now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Get the KW used in the year and compare different providers on bonkers or switcher .ie

Edit: and what ever the gas equivalent is to kw’s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 puntyboy82

It is 47.54c Day and 23.53c with a 39% discount so works out at 28.99c Day and 14.35c Night.

Works out better than the new customer 36.56c Day and 17.72c Night I was just about to sign up to with FloGas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Is the 1375 paid for the past year exclusive or inclusive of the 800 Gov Credit? If exclusive then the actual cost for the past year was 2175 & not 1375.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭tall chapy

I am Bord Gais dual fuel. (24 hour meter). I checked the rates via the out of contract email which had a link to their 'online price plan page'. Logged in to my account and they offered me 44% off electricity & gas. So I took the offer this morning. I was out of contract in early September.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bobcatboo123

These are great discounts for existing bord gais customers. Stuck on an expensive smart plan with EI. Hoping they might reduce their rates over the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Switch to any other provider and they'll likely ring you offering 20%. That's what they did with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Im on Elec only with them and checked now too. Offering me 39% 0ff if I sign up quick.... "Renew online to get our best discounts. Hurry! This is for a limited time before your contract ends." 29.4c incl Vat....

Think it was 12% off last time I checked the email link

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

That's based on 4200kWh Electric and 11000 kwh Gas. So your usage will very likely be different. Work it out from your bills and go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭seanin4711

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

this link is dead, is there another one or have we missed the boat : https://www.flogas.ie/flogas-community-plan-electricity-fixed-1-yr.htm ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Romero

Anyone got a copy of the Folgas dual fuel community offer rates from last mount forgot to take a screenshot and want to ring them as signed up on the 13th I got the direct debit mandates but nothing since the 16th so just want to confirm I'm getting what I signed up for.

Thanks

Advertisement