Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spain - Women World Cup Champions - 1 week later. (How not to manage a crises)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Astartes

Is his Ma still on hunger strike?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭growleaves

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Ki ki

I did kind of address that in reply to one of your posts the other day. I said I would hope I could forgive.

But as you've asked directly...

I worked in a very male dominated department. I was the only woman, on a team of 24. There was a lot of camaraderie, and the whole team were very tactile, handshakes, hugs, the occasional peck (amongst the lads and to me). I was always treated like a sister, daughter, friend.

If it was my most recent male manager, it just wouldn't have happened. It couldn't have happened cause I can't stand him. With him it was handshakes only, and only when necessary. I would not hug him. He knew this.

So if he kissed me in ANY circumstances, it would be a court case.

The male manager before that, I adored. As a boss and a brother and a friend. If he had kissed me in celebration of something, I would have known he didn't mean it in a sexual way.

I wouldn't even have to forgive, it would have been nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

So did Rubiales only state that Hermoso gave him consent for the kiss for the first time in his speech on Friday or did he mention it before that? I didn't see that said in his initial apology video so it's,seems extraordinary that it took him five days after the incident to mention that in his defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

Athenea del Castillo. I don’t think she’s said anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,555 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

You'd think when you've to make up a hypothetical to counter real world events, you'd have the common sense to not click 'Post Comment'.

But when you're hard wired to blame the left for holding people to account for their actions, then I guess there's no stopping you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,891 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Thanks for the reply

So if he kissed me in ANY circumstances, it would be a court case.

There are individuals who would argue that it was fine, just a kiss, stop being so "dramatic", it was a celebration, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭hawley

Glad that Vera Pauw is gone. Apparently she upset some of the girls. She was a good manager, but was too demanding of them and was creating a situation that could have been bad for their mental health.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭hawley

Spanish Women's World Cup winner Jenni Hermoso laughs and jokes as she shows off a photo of the kiss Luis Rubiales gave her which days later she denounced as a 'sexist act' that left her vulnerable.

The footage of the 33-year-old on the team bus as the players prepared to leave the stadium in Sydney is set to become dynamite in the hands of suspended Spanish FA chief Rubiales as he seeks to defend himself against allegations he committed sexual aggression.

Hermoso was filmed laughing out loud as she showed off a screen grab on her mobile featuring the now-infamous kiss just over a week ago alongside a photo of former Spanish international Iker Casillas locking lips with reporter Sara Carbonero as she interviewed him live after the men's team won the 2010 World Cup in South Africa. Another woman on the team bus was overheard laughing: 'Like Iker and Sarah' as Jenni continued to show off her phone.

Many of Jenni's 23 team-mates who have said they will refuse to play again for the national team until Rubiales is history, were then filmed singing 'Beso, beso' - Spanish for 'Kiss, Kiss' - as the suspended football chief got on the bus before telling the women jokingly: 'Stop, you're making me blush!'

Of the 2 examples I gave, it's really not fair (on him), to continue with a hypothetical using the manager I disliked.

As I said, the only physical contact between us would be handshakes, and only when necessary. I always kept a distance. For him to get so close as to kiss me on the lips, would definitely be an act of force. It would be abuse, it would be an attack.

I may not have liked him but even in an Internet argument, I would not pretend he could ever be an abuser, an attacker.

Why not instead use the other example I offered? A boss I liked, and respected. A boss I was far closer to and with whom I had a better professional and platonic relationship. A boss who IF kissed me on the lips, for me, would not change the balance of our relationship, in or outside of work.

But man, I'd have some fun winding him up on the bus back from our night of celebrations.

• Advertisement

I don't have "proof", I have an opinion.

But there was Hermoso's radio interview afterwards, saying the kiss was nothing and that she had a great relationship with the president. She laughed it off.

There was Rubiales apology where he admitted the kiss was wrong but without any bad intent. He said it was with a player with whom he had a great relationship. He laughed it off.

And now there's this. What looks like a whole team, with a great relationship, laughing and joking with El Presi, about el beso.

No wonder he woke the next morning believing it was not a serious matter...

https://as.com/futbol/femenino/el-video-de-las-jugadoras-en-el-autobus-despues-del-beso-de-rubiales-a-jenni-v/

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

Truth finally starting to emerge about this daft lass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Pretty sure too if she had kised him there would be nothing about it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭seenitall

We will see what else will emerge here, but at the moment you wrote the post (and correct me if I’m wrong?) you didn’t have any knowledge of the two of them being any kind of “friends”. That’s what got my attention. It was for some reason easier for you to believe that it was all an innocent mistake by a man in authority who behaves like he did liberally using his hands and lips on the players, rather than the alternative, the like of which you described in subsequent posts, that is an inappropriate abuse of his position. I find that photo of him picking up a player ad hoc very iffy as well; you simply do not behave like that these days as a man to a woman subordinate to yourself. This is the stuff of the past when women were voiceless and had to as a matter of course endure an occasional good-humoured slap on the backside by the boss, and that’s just on a lower end of the scale of what went on. I’m sure many of them were “ok” with it as well, had a great camaraderie with the boss 🙄

I stand by my posts, Rubiales’s behaviour is at the very least inappropriate for his situation, and that is easily determined just going by what can be seen in the pictures etc. The type of relationship between Hermoso and Rubiales can be an interesting or a messy thing to detangle ultimately, but really, taking his behaviour as a whole and not just re: Hermoso, you just don’t behave like that these days without consequences. Or shouldn’t be able to.

Before I wrote my post, I had seen quotes from Hermoso's interview when she said the kiss was nothing, and they had a good relationship. I had also heard Rubiales' apology, when he said he was wrong to do what he did and that they had a good relationship.

So their own audios and admittance were known of by me, at the moment I wrote the post. I am correcting you. You are partially wrong.

Ok thanks for that. We already know you see nothing wrong or questionable with his behaviour as upper management, as long as they have a “good relationship”. (Which is much more important for her to nurture as a subordinate, than for him.) So it is very much the principle on which his behaviour rests that you and I fundamentally disagree on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I don't think there was any audio recording of a Hermoso interview. Do you have a link to one?

The quotes in which Hermoso appears to say they have a great relationship were allegedly written by Spanish Football Federation officials:

https://www.euronews.com/2023/08/23/spanish-football-federation-accused-of-faking-jenni-hermosos-statement-on-unacceptable-kis

"The released text said: "(The kiss) was a totally spontaneous mutual gesture due to the immense joy of winning a World Cup. The president and I have a great relationship, his behaviour towards all of us has been outstanding and it was a natural gesture of affection and gratitude".

"We can't think any more about a gesture of friendship and gratitude, we won a World Cup and we're not going to deviate from what's important," she purportedly added.

Those words were written by the Spanish Federation's communications department without consulting the player herself, Relevo claims."

• Registered Users Posts: 39,970 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

As you are well aware Hawley this has very little to do with a kiss.

So it doesn't matter one bit what video or audio or actual facts emerge.

Would be interesting to know which member of the setup leaked the video though.

Thank Christ she is gone, we were starting to look like a real professional outfit that could have achieved something.

But feelings were being hurt so you can't have that.

Your very first 2 words on the thread were "Sexual Assault"

A claim you have repeated half a dozen times.

That is some serious bad faith posting.

• Advertisement

You are welcome.

But you are wrong again. "We already know you see nothing wrong or questionable"?

I have said he acted unprofessionally. I have said he acted inappropriately.

But, I do not think he carried out an act of sexual assault or used his role to abuse or domineer over the players.

Oh ok. So we do agree on something. You see, I find it interesting that you can acknowledge that he acted inappropriately but do not make a connection to the power dynamics inherent in his position, and how that might be a direct conduit and facilitate his entitlement to such behaviour. Which is called abuse of a position.

Post edited by seenitall on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

If they are going after the character of Hermoso now, that will not save Rubiales job as his actions this week have doomed him, but it could be used in his defence of sexual assault.

I'm surprised the Spansih FA don't have a code of conduct like most company's have that they could have said he was being judged against.

Yeah, that is surprising. Hopefully they will have one from now on?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Waffle. Follow the law. Innocent until proven guilty.

And for what it's worth, I have said already that I cannot possibly claim to know how Jennifer Hermoso felt after the kiss. And I have said it is understandable that she might feel differently after the comedown of the initial high.

But several people asked how the kiss might be seen from a woman's perspective. I gave mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,031 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Its really disappointing that this crap has over shadowed a sporting achievement for these players. I very much feel the "victim" didn't have too much of a problem with it but then the mob made her change her tune and she is taking the publicity with it. Absolute nonsense the whole thing, referring to it as sexual assault is a slap in the face to true sexual assault victims aswell. Its a nothing burger that has been turned into a huge drama by an OTT public opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 IlovemybrickFC

Hello everyone!

Long time lurker, first time poster!! Be nice!!!

If it was reversed, and say Newcastle United won the Champions League and Amanda Stavely kissed Anthony Gordon in a moment of pure unbridled joy - would there be the same kerfuffle about consent ? I wonder. I seem to remember a great bit of commentary in the 80s about the University Boat Race, "oh that's nice to see - the wife of the Cambridge president is kissing the cox of the Oxford team" (think of it spoken!!)

The Spanish FA guy reacted instinctively, the player didn't seem bothered and if an apology was needed it could have been done between them.

But his mother is on a hunger strike and there is talk of the Spanish men's teams being kicked out of Europe ? Has it not gone too far ? I think so.

Advertisement