Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Serious Car Crash

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,449 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

As somebody who runs outside a lot, the amount of people I see driving while looking down at their phone is absolutely frightening.

Its not a few people here and there, it is endemic, a constant stream of people piloting a vehicle while being completely unaware of what is in front of them. I'd have zero sympathy for any of them wrapped around a telegraph pole if there weren't innocent people in their way.

As to this incident, imagine waking up and finding your baby and your parents all dead, and you were the driver. I feel nauseous just thinking about it, I hope there is some support there for him or her.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

Driving a car isn't a convenience for many, it's a necessity. If you think the people who are dying on these rural roads are getting a Luas running past their house any time soon you are living in the clouds.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Flashing for speed vans much less common now. However, even on this thread we can see part of the problem - is speeding not speeding, just because the motorist deems it to be safe or the wrong place for a speed van? Illegal parking being tolerated is all part of the roads culture that means the law doesn't really apply to them.

Use of technology - speed camera's, ANPR, portals for citizen uploads also free up the gardai to be out on the roads policing. How many incidents do we here of people without tax, insurance and licences? All could be caught by ANPR cameras.

Yet, if you had dashcam footage and brought it to the station (given no way of uploading), would you be met with anything other than resistant?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

Doesn'tt really reveal any details of what causes individual accidents though just figures on them, its the root cause and report on an individual cause is required so people can unfortunately learn from others

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭RickBlaine

I'm not commenting in this specific accident but Irish driving in general. As a driver, I see some crazy maneuvers, dangerous overtaking, constant red light jumping, or cars whizzing past me even though I'm at the speed limit. As a passenger or pedestrian, I constantly see people on their phones. On a busy road, I could see every second or third person looking down at their phone. I posted in another thread last week that I saw someone on the M50 with both hands off the steering wheel and looking down texting at 100kph.

I think there is a massive "sure, I'll be ok" or "sure, it'll never happen to me" attitude among Irish drivers when it comes to the dangers of breaking the rules of the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ARX

I tried to overtake a slow-moving tractor and I got rear-ended by the car behind me. Can I sue the tractor driver? (msn.com)

"When I attempted to overtake at one point, I had to brake suddenly and pull back into my lane sharply due to an on coming car. This caused the car behind to rear-end me, causing significant damage — and one of my kids has a whiplash injury.

I am being blamed for causing this accident when it was clearly this farmer’s fault. I have his number plate."

In other words:

"I lacked the competence to plan and execute an overtake, but attempted to overtake into oncoming traffic with my kids in the car. Then the moron behind me crashed into me. But yeah, it was totally the fault of the guy in front of me".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Jesus, so they complain the tractor was slow moving and yet they still couldn't judge it was safe and clear to overtake and want someone else to pay for their mistake. Moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

The quality of the roads being driven on is also dire in many regions and that includes the N roads.

What I’ve also noticed on R and back roads is when they do resurface them, they take off a minimal layer and pour on top of that but by doing so they reduce the width of the road. Would it be that hard to scrape back the grass/overgrown sides and reinstate the existing width?

I also would question the thought process when planning some of the slip roads off a 100km road. Way too short.

Thoughts with the families that have suffered tragedies in the last week. Rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The same kind of medical testing that is done for pilots. The same kind of medical testing that is required for drivers over 75 or with certain medical conditions. If these medical events are happening as frequently as posters here suggest, we need to take serious action to reduce the chances of these happening in the future.

There was one (singular) fatality relating to a cyclist / pedestrian collision in recent years. I didn't see any Coronor's Inquest report into that incident, which is a bit strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

actually i think this is very true a lot of stuff seems to be swept under the carpet by the you're been insensitive call.

we don't seem to learn anything from these crashes. occasionally you here ythe guards saying it was excessive speed but I know plenty of roads that will cause you problems well under the speed limit.

were cars modified, loads of cars with lowered suspension undersized tyres on oversize wheels etc etc

like the OP says I don't think I've ever seen a report o any of these incidents unless there's a criminal case against the driver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Fixed in place, average speed cameras on problem stretches of road. Tracks you once on the way in, once on way out, and works out your average speed in that section.

It works wonders on the continent. There is no valid reason to be against them other than thinking you have a God given right to speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 IlovemybrickFC

i was hit by a car the the other day - his fault, he was rushing to work - his words - and my damage is worse yet he insisted on calling his parents who then called the Gardai and we were stuck by the side of the road for three hours for nothing.

Some people on the road are entitled fools - but most of us just need our cars to get to work, childcare etc and obey all the rules. Those who don't should be penalised.

Condolences to the loved ones of the deceased. Awful to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

That sounds very sensible, have you tried to see a GP or cardiologist lately or any other consultant?

Multiple the medical hours in pilot testing by the whole driving population and let me know how are health service would cope.

That's a great argument for restricting planning permissions for one-off housing.

How many hours in medical responses to emergencies, operations, rehab will be saved?

You were hit by a driver of a car, unless we allow autonomous vehicles here.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭AmpMan

We wouldn't build any housing if that was the case.

Every housing estate in every town has more cars than houses

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Huge but what you are suggesting is impossible with current resources

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭rogber

Would be interesting to know in how many fatal accidents a man was at the wheel. Any statistics on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭howiya

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Passengers can be very distracting, children or adults. Also I find many older people don’t want to wear a seat belt in the back seat.

I have to consciously alter my driving when leaving a motorway and completing the journey on rural roads. Some of which have a speed limit of 80 km where a car has to pull in to meet another. The limit is often seen as a target.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭rogber

This I find truly bizarre. Two-lane roads with good viewing in Dublin often have a speed limit of 60, then fairly narrow country roads with numerous twists and bends and hedges blocking the view have speed limit of 80. Makes zero sense

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

As a coach driver i'd estimate every second person on the road uses their phone whilst driving. The crazy thing is it's not using the phone as in one hand on the wheel with the phone to the ear, it's texting.or checking social media with the phone on the lap or in the hand etc... I remember years ago being aghast seeing a lad watching the film Sicario on his phone as we crawled along in rush hour traffic, now it's so common place i don't even give it a second thought.

Until proper consequences are brought in and enforced for this type of behaviour then this stuff won't stop. I'm not talking a few penalty points im talking taking of cars and crushing, massive multi thousand euro fines or just revoking licences altogether. But of course there are no votes in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

The driving behaviours of a significant amount of drivers here is Ireland is truly shocking. You've only got to drive on a motorway and see the dreadful behaviour. Merging onto a motorway or dual carriageway - no signalling, or driving the length of the entry lane at full pelt, not taking into consideration traffic already on the road, who may not be able to edge to another lane. Driving practically up the back of a car in front, to the point of if stopping, an accident is going to happen at some point. I was driving during the recent storm Betty near Drogheda on the motorway - many cars were not slowing down to suit the road and weather conditions.

French friends also commented on how drivers behave here, they'd hired a car and said the motorway behaviours were bad, but rural roads were really scary as the speeds and undertaking/ overtaking in places shocked them.

There will always be things that we cant help, including sudden illness, mechanical failure such as tyre blow out, but responsibility also has to be apportioned to the human element for behaviours.

We do not know what happened in this latest tragedy - I can only say that a family and community are forever changed in such a dreadful way. RIP to them all and for the survivors, their families, the first responders, I hope they get the help that they need. For such a dedicated bunch of men and women, they need all the aid we can give them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Of the 124 who died on the roads so far this year, only 71 were in cars (44 drivers), with 17 on motorbikes, so 88 total.

No consolation to those who lost loved ones, but that's pretty low considering the number of road journeys taken, general poor standard of driving and total lack of enforcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭GSBellew

Not going to work in Rural Ireland too easily, nice idea for cities and larger urban areas.

Not referring to this incident in any way, but on your point as to why people are having crashes with such force etc, modern cars can lure people into a false sense of security, all the electronic protections and driving aids can only do so much but people may not realise just how much they are saving them from themselves as they drive along, when it does genuinely go wrong no amount of electronics can defy physics, difference is it has probably gone wrong at a higher speed than would have been the case years ago.

Not that I believe that getting rid of these systems is a solution, nor is just complaining about speeding, education and driver training for all drivers, old and new is required.

Someone mentioned earlier driver training and teaching people about skidding / worn tyres etc which is probably a good point, skid pan training would probably be eye opening.

Well, no. We wouldn't build any one-off housing. We'd continue to build serviced housing in accessible locations with good access to essential services.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭airy fairy

We do not know the cause of most RTA unless it's hearsay from locals and he said, she said whispers. Yes, it's tragic for families involved, but we really need to be informed as to how a certain contributing factor was a cause of a death, be it speed, crap road surface, phone usage or whatever, to prevent more families being broken.

We need the cold, sharp reality of the reasons of road deaths. We need to feed that information into social media and any other form of feed necessary.

Everything is impossible with current resources, unless we change our priorities. If it saves one life, right?

• Advertisement

RSA publishes that information regularly - speeding, phone use, seat belts, fatigue driving and I think one more are the major issues.

They refer to RTCs not RTAs - we need to move on from 'accident' terminology designed to let drivers off the hook.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement