Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,334 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭TheRona

I even got a text message from Bord Gais just there:

Hi there, quick reminder that your contract with us ends on 08/09/2023. If you do nothing before it ends, you'll go onto our standard tariff; with higher unit rates than you pay now. Go to https://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/sign-in to see your new price plan offers. From, Bord Gáis Energy

Still in two minds about whether to accept the 33% off electricity and 41% off gas. Would love to get a bit of a better price on electricity, but I'm not sure if anyone has seen their discount improve from these initial better offers?

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

When did they do that? I’m out of contract but not yet with another provider and they won’t budge off of 15%.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Hold tight, they seem to increase the discount when you get very near the end date, you might get the 40%. Good prices for today's climate in fairness.

That's very good, it's cheaper than the now defunct Flogas BWG/ Community deal that was going around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭hold my beer

I just logged in to BG and there was a 39% off offer today, after already sending me two emails over last few weeks saying I was losing the discount (39%) we got last year. Thanks to whoever posted it here because I was mildly stressing about having to look around

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Indeed! It sure looks like prices are coming down folks. I'm out of contract on both electricity and gas and with M.T. Cranium forecasting that September might be as warm as June was, I might be able to hold out until October without using any electricity or gas. So I've installed a nice comfy chair on top of the fence, I will sit it out 😁

Good Idea 😉

I think they'll start trying the "new customer" route next, it's certainly unusual to see such big discounts on the table to keep customers. Don't go smart meter and please don't give those Pinergy thieves a penny of your money....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

A bit of click bait. Note Airtricity the only supplier to rule out a fall in prices. I think I'll join @unkel on the fence. Any decreases will probably have 30 days lead time.

Energy price war hopes brew before winter as major Irish supplier plots bill slash 'as soon as possible' after €220 cut | The Irish Sun (thesun.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

You may even get 44% if you hold on a while

The only thief, when signing up for a smart meter plan with Pinergy, will be me 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭guyfawkes5

Woah - my 13% off (electricity only) renewal offer with Bord Gais just changed to 40% off overnight (I checked yesterday). That's 28.91c per kWh for a 24 hour rate. My contract ends on the 20th September and I'm currently on an expiring 40% discount.

I guess any BG customers should hang on up until the last week of their contract before making any decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Romero

Thank you very much just onto them there and confirmed the rates are correct. Lady was very helpful said to make sure to put reads in once every two months apparently if you put a read in say 3 times a month it would generate three bills. So I'll stick it in my calendar to do it on the 10th every two months

• Registered Users Posts: 6,772 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Got a letter from energia yesterday. Sorry that your leaving but warned you might not understand our competitors website or app and you should phone us to stay 🤣.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Webmechanic

My dual fuel account with Bord Gais ended a couple of days ago, at the time they wouldn't budge on their 10% gas / 5% electricity discount. I phoned up this morning to see if I could get nearer the 44% discount people are reporting but was told nope, not a chance 10% + 10% was the best they could do which is the New Customer offer online. Seems the people at the end of the phone can only offer what is on their website, no flexibility. Offers that might come in on your account page are automated in some way and nothing to do with them so if you're lucky enough to see one just grab it because it doesn't appear to be available any other way.

I'm going to hang on a bit longer before making my decision. Currently Flogas and SSE, based on my calculations on my own usage, are the best options for me. Just need to decide between fixed or flexible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭lau1247

Thanks to the folks for bringing it up regarding BG.. contract was due to end on the 6th Sept and thought I missed the boat with Flogas and have to sign up to other company.. I did get a call from retention team 2 weeks ago but I told them i'd think about it.. Checked just now and the offer was for 44% for Elec and Gas.. End up being lower standing charge and rate than Flogas..

It is funny, BG tariff price page doesn't even allow the selection up to 44%

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Summer2020

Electricity Tariff : DG1 NSAV Community Fixed 12 A23 NB

Hi can anyone confirm this is the correct tariff for a day night meter on the community rate with Flogas please ? Just want to ensure they haven't put me on a smart tariff thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭aisling86

I signed back into my BG account today and they had increased my discount vs last week to retain us as a customer. Staying on our 32% discount.

keep checking the account for the new plan offer! They were giving me 15% last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Escapees

Think it's been asked many times already. NSAV naturally enough stands for Night SAVer so safe to assume you're on the right plan. Mere patience is all that's needed to confirm the rates after receipt of first bill etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭wassie

This isnt the case at the moment. Plenty of reports here that BG have offered the discount to peeps (myself included) at least a month away from renewal date.

It would be good to see what happens over the next few weeks if those on lower discounts get improved offers closer to contract expiry date.

The offers were applied yday and do not seem to be correlated with how much time is left before renewal. The offers seem to be be generated by algorithm tailoring them to individual accounts, seemingly accounting for the differences in offers received. I wouldnt even want to speculate what the criteria is for generating offers.

When I got my new offer of 39% (same as last year), tried to get an additional 5% to match the other discounts of 44% reported here. They said thats the best they could do. I replied saying it wasn't the best offer and refused to take this as I'll wait to see what happens in Sept.

It was mentioned in passing that whilst the offer could be withdrawn, it was likely it would remain in place until my renewal is due. This is exactly what happened with my renewal last year also.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Sorry if I already asked, but I presume that's a regular smart meter, not the day/night variety?

Yep. I am on the priority list for the roll out of the new day / night smart meter that ESBN will start installing from some time next month. But that could take months, even a year or more. Not waiting for that. I know full well that I am waivering my right to ever having a day / night plan again. My expectation is that these will be gone within the next year or two anyway as they will simply no longer be offered because they are not as profitable as smart plans for the providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭lau1247

One thing I did noticed was that you get 5% discount each year you are with BG (I assumed there is a cap at some point).. I was on 39% last year so 44$ is in line with that. So for people who are getting lower, I think it might be tied to what you have last year?? Hard to know because some people mentioned that they got a significantly higher discount. Certainly mine lines up with the section shown below.

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭TheRona

Yeah, you're right. I was getting 36% and 28% last year, and now I'm being offered 41% and 33%.

In that case, I'll probably just take the offer. Still decent enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭WattsUp

Exact same as I got and pretty sure it the community rates of 33/14. I can decode some of it

DG1 = Urban Domestic

NSAV = Nightsaver or day/night meter

Community self explanatory

Fixed 12 = Fixed 12 months

A23 NB ??? This is probably rate info and it's what others got months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭extrafluff

Just off the phone with Airtricity. They have a flat 10%/10% renewal. There's no budging on this at all. Chap on the phone said that's the very best they can do.

Even after saying I'll go elsewhere he said there's nothing else that can be offered.

Very envious of all you BG people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

Contacted BG out of interest amd was only offerred 10% discount (which is lower than Energia and Flogas) which is max new customer discount at present. It was suggested that BG are focussing on renewal customers at present but may move onto new customers in near future...take that any way you wish!

Decided to give Energia another call but are sticking ridgidly to 15% discount. Person was surprised I didnt want to sign up as confirmed that any potential future price reductions would be applied to my rate without triggering rhe early exit fee. Now just wondering if I should sign up on the basis that Energia will apply similar price cuts as other providers. Decisions, decisions🤔

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Customer retention is bound to be cheaper in the long run vs onboarding a new customer.

But them discounts are only starting to pop up now.

Advertisement