Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2023 **No Ticket Sales / Requests ** - It'll be grand

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

What a waste of time and money, stopping people from having a joint. Meanwhile go to any outdoor gig in Dublin and weed is predominantly what you smell (was at Noel G at the weekend and I may as well have been smoking myself, there was so much around).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

In years past, boutique camping / harvest moon bracelet holders were able to access the VIP area (off to the right had side of the main stage). thats not a pay to play lounge spot. Is there another designated lounge type area for these bracelet holders?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

It’s a more general discussion, but really, in 2023 haven’t they more important stuff to be dealing with? Clearly a headline stating that 75 arrests were made at the Electric Picnic implies that the drug squad have some sort of effectiveness and allows them to take the following fortnight off.

I welcome their intervention when a dangerous batch of pills is identified but otherwise…….

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭CoffeeImpala

Map is showing a guest area beside the main stage and a lounge at the back of the arena.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Bruce2008

Someone put up 360° photo on FB, am I seeing things or gave they have rotated the main stage around? There's a tree right in front if it!

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Peterd66

If it's the tree I am thinking of, having sheltered from the rain there quite a few times, it used be to the right of the main stage (looking at the stage) near the boundary wall.

Can you post the link here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭rubick

It was moved further back down the hill and shifted position as of last year's event.

There's a huge amount of space in front of the tree/sounddesk, it's just not apparent in that image.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Fanirish

Main stage was moved slightly over a few years back when they increased the capacity of the stage

Can't manage to share or send a link to the drone 360° photo but it's on the Facebook electric picnic Banter page posted 1 hour ago by an Alan OReilly. It's well worth a look!

• Advertisement

I'd imagine your view from the seats or behind the tree on the hill would be blocked. The stage was never that far to the left of the main house!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

That was my photo and 360 degree can make it appear differently. Tree is to left as you look at front of stage.

Sure it'll be grand to shelter from the blazing sun under it! Think I'll stay closer to the bar, (and the toilets ) if and when I visit the main stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭fourmations

Spare Pink Moon band?

Hi all, after ducking out months ago I'm getting serious FOMO now, a friend has taken my Pink Moon spot though, I'm toying with the idea of trying to get a spare pink moon band and just sleeping in the "lobby" of my group's tent, would anyone have a spare pass, e.g. you have a four man but there's only three going, so basically i'm just trying to get pink moon access, i don't want to sleep in your tent! i can pay you a few bob for your trouble! cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Stage moved backwards about 50-70 metres when the capacity was increased, the tree your see at the front of house sound and lighting desk, used to be to the left of the main stage, but the orientation of the stage hasn’t changed much.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭darzog

I’m going to throw a little love out there for deeply quirky Icelandic band GRÓA. Playing Freetown Providencia at 23:15 on Friday. Bit of an overlap with Havvk & Pixie Cut RO…but hoping to catch some of their set.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭Mucker46

I see Melvin saying change of date not related to Colplay but rather thinking about it for a while and interested to see how impacts booking acts and the weather. Reckon it will be a permanent switch.

Will help a slight bit with bookings but not going to be life altering. August is generally the weaker month for international acts touring across Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Blur/Prodigy on the same bill in Lisbon this Friday. If the fest wants to put good acts on they can.

If they want to focus on revenue streams and the same tired muck/weaktea pop bands they can also choose this path.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Genghis

The feeling locally is that there was no consultation, people taken by surprise with the date change. Wonder how much consultation was had with the county council (who previously were not afraid to stand up to EP announcing dates).

Other than EP, Stradballys other claim to fame is their August Bank Holiday Steam Rally. It takes place in the same Cosby estate, and has been running for around 60 years. Very popular, it draws a large crowd every year, many visitors come every year, etc.

It ends on Monday 5 August 2024, with EP starting 10 days later (Thursday 15 August) - this puts enormous pressure now on the Steam Rally committee to clear their site ASAP, I expect they may also have other challenges, like having restricted space inside the estate, having more people around (working on EP), perhaps additional security, etc.

Local farmers are also rightly pissed off. Roads will be fully closed for 5 days just as they are harvesting. They plan around the first weekend in September being fixed in stone.

Haven't heard local town residents as yet, but I expect they may not be delighted with it moving to a school holiday timeframe, albeit they have been getting acclimatised to younger festival goers over a few years now.

• Advertisement

Both already played ireland this summer, acts of that calibre will only play ireland once in a summer.

and pretty sure that Both blur and the prodigy last Irish shows before this summer were at Electric Picnic in prior years. Acts need to change up the venue they play in ireland on each new tour.

people would complain about regurgitation of acts if Blur and the prodigy were playing consecutive Irish shows only at EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Feets

So does anyone remember that all the later night areas werent commodified and you could bring cans and meet others outside of ur camp...like the old salty dog...is there anywhere u can bring ur cans?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

People would complain if blur and the prodigy were playing consecutive Irish shows only at EP? I'm starting to doubt if you even listen to music, never mind work in the industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Cannot **** abide prodigy so yeah, I'd defo complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Dutchy

Being a drinker of stout, I welcome the Beamish. Is this new ? Can't remember it from last year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Joekers

Have set up a WhatsApp below for anyone interested for the weekend. Handy for quick updates

https://chat.whatsapp.com/Fg7U40971LgI5o7EuoFjs1

• Registered Users Posts: 21 seamieom

Being from the area, I haven't heard much from the farmers so far about the date change but I think with an event this size and the disruption it will inevitably cause to a small community, you're never going to keep everyone happy.

The garda road restrictions for this year were announced in the local facebook group last night and most of the comments were angry about the disruption bringing kids to school and people trying to work. Move the event to August and the parents will be happy about not trying to get kids to school during it, but you'll have the farmers commenting instead that they can't get crops in and Average Joe will still be complaining about trying to work.

Everyone has a point, but FR/EP is never going to win. Will be interesting to see what effect this has on the Steam Rally though, as can't see that moving

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Hank the DJ

Tis indeed, the Murphys is very welcome to the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Lots of acts still touring the European festivals, as is clear from two recent Glastonbury headliners at Reading, Leeds and EP. Moving two weeks back will give them a hell of a lot more options though.

EP will still be at the tail end of the Summer festival circuit but in 2024 the weekend after the 90k capacity Sziget should mean even more crossover than the 7/8 acts this year. The bad news is that the Hungarian fest has also gone to the dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I possibly might, not 100% sure yet as someone might need it if they can't get a campervan ticket.

Advertisement