Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The government is hoovering up too much housing - the private working taxpayer is hurting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Yeah, the childcare one is really quite outrageous. If you're not working, the childcare should be specific to the job interview - for example if they can show evidence of a job interview you might get 5 hours free care that day. That's reasonable. Not full time care everyday!

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

Unbelievable isn't it. Most people in social housing are on low wages and barely have enough week to week to get by. Of course if you called for a wage increase for these same folk so they could put some away to save for a deposit im guessing the same people who punch down would be saying not a chance.

Like i said, the one constant in society is when things get hard for people they inevitability blame the poor and immigrants for the issues and keep voting for the same creeps that have created the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Fox Tail

Why would someone not working need childcare anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Fox Tail

Who would you vote for to change things, though?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Is there? It's all very much true. I'm not sure how you think I'm a snob. It's just facts.

• Advertisement

I didn't post anything about social housing?

I don't have an issue with social housing. I.don't have an issue with immigrants.

care to explain your post?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

More snobbery.

“You should just have enough money to buy in this one town in Ireland”

It’s oh so simple, isn’t it?

I have no idea how you think that snobby!

Someone paying less then 100 euro a month in rent for years, should have enough money saved that they can buy in that small rural town

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

And if they don’t want to stay in that small rural town? And you’ve literally no clue or information on some expenses they might have.

Saying they had cheap rent so therefor they should be able to buy, how naïve can you be?

They were living there for years, why would they want to suddenly go elsewhere? And even if they did, they should still have plenty of money saved.

There are a lot of people and families suffering because of our housing crisis, really suffering, this Garda and family paying little to no rent for years in templemore, is not one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Can we move on from commenting about Templemore and Garda accommodation

• Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 276 ✭✭Jazz Hands

There should simply be no housing list.

Scrap the list and scrap the idea of social housing.

Create an emergency list that has rigorous checks with short term emergency housing.

The goal is no longer to integrate social housing into communities as proven by tuath housing.

They used to buy single houses within estates. Then they started buying whole streets of new builds. . By they are buying whole estates.

They are adding to the homelessness of the employed.

I would also add to this that there should be 1 housing charity is its needed not multiple being bankrolled by the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,791 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

We just are too easy going as a country.

I rented and saved for 7 years without a foreign holiday to get a house which I overpaid for due to demand.

I am saving and doing up the house and can hopefully go abroad next summer.

I will pay a mortgage for the next 35 years.

I went to school with a fella who never worked a day in his life and they got a brand new house.

They pay probably a 10th of what I pay a month and go abroad at least once a year based on Facebook pics.

If my boiler blows up I need to find thousands while they don't need to worry.

Imagine a country where you work hard paying taxes which are used to outbid you for houses and give them to people who contribute nothing.

I don't know if we are unique but it's ridiculous when you think about it.

Tuath housing bought 35 houses in our estate directly from the developer. That's on top of the Government's 10% allocation. These are full streets.

They have now bought 2 apartment blocks down the road.

You can't even compete with the charities. They get the heads up and use taxes to screw the working people wanting to buy houses even at market price.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Emblematic

That's however a good thing though if you are one of the people waiting on the housing list such as childcare workers, road sweepers, catering staff and so fourth who have no chance of buying or renting anywhere decent on the money they are on. Where would these people live if it were not for local authorities and housing trusts buying or building social homes?

It's a great thing for the career unemployed too and there teens who are encouraged to follow is the family tradition no?

You never seem to include them....why?

I have mentioned the unemployed in previous posts and obviously it is annoying hearing about people gaming the system. However the fact remains that there are large numbers of low paid workers doing often essential work. Where should they live in your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Here we go… divide and conquer, them and us, have and have nots, with me or against me… the type of polarisation that never does anyone any good.

In short term emergency housing while government focuses on a plan for affordable homes people can purchase.. Ive mentioned that already.

Well, in the case of social housing, these are often made available to their occupants to purchase for a discount. Would this be the kind of thing you are talking about? In this sense they are temporary as, when they are purchased, they are no longer state owned housing for rent.

There's also the established affordable homes schemes, where are proportion of houses built are sold at a discount. But even with these in place, there will be many who cannot afford the reduced price of these schemes, generous though they are.

Ultimately there needs to be more building of new units in all sectors to bring prices down for everyone but this, unfortunately, can't happen overnight. I have suggested ways things might be sped up in a previous post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I think part of it is that immigrants arent coming here by choice because its a country full of opportunities, allot are coming here through asylum & refugee status & we should be helping them but its adding to amount of vulnerable people who cant afford homes & require social welfare & council housing. Some immigrants are willing to work for less money than indigenous Irish people & this lowers the amount of living waged jobs available, further increasing the need for social supports. I dont feel like immigrants or refugees are at fault but government policies are to blame for allot of our societal issues, immigration is a very small percentage of contributing factors but it shouldnt be a contributing factor at all, we should be able to handle increased immigration but our government are a complete failure who cant handle so much as a snow day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

It is insane. People are financially better off not working than working!

For cultural reasons, and perhaps a belief that it can't continue, there hasn't been a mass exodus of lower paid people from the workforce. But not for financial reasons. If you get a house for free or token rent and a medical card plus a few quid for walking around money, you'll be better off than many people who are bursting their proverbial bollocks. Crazy situation, but has been the way for quite a long time now.

When the Troika were in Ireland they did urge social welfare reform, but because Ireland performed well on the other reforms sought it was never followed through. They wanted a situation where the supports would drop if you stayed long term unemployed. Which makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭LongfordMB

Our unemployment rate of 5% is a percentage of those looking for a job, not the working age population. I've seen studies that show 12-15% of households of working age have no-one working in them. That's twice the EU average. Simply because they are better off that way, we have incentivized not working. Completely insane and destructive to society.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Yes, we have had a serious issue with jobless households.

This is not the same as unemployment.

Even where there were loads of jobs, we still have loads of jobless households.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭LongfordMB

Is there any up to date version of that graph. I'd say we're still around 12%, at the upper end of the range. Even with a booming economy and businesses crying out for workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

People are copping onto the situation too. While SF are going to go well in the next election, a large share of the population is going to vote for them as a protest. There is also a large demand for the private sector worker to have a government that will act in its favour.

Ye all saw how well that idiot from Donegal did when he started making racist anti-traveller statements. If some party came out with sensible statements like the Government will have to start giving some priority to people who try to make a living for themselves rather than relying on handouts, they'd take off like a rocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Is that not contradictory there. If working parents can't afford a house themselves due to the government bidding against them. Does that not equate to them not being able to house themselves anyways same as the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭hymenelectra

It's as simple as this, the government have known for a decade nigh of the ever increasing housing crisis and they've done the only sensible thing and have allowed hundreds of thousands of extra people into the country to alleviate it at precisely the same time. Every year more than the last.

It's genius. Here me out.

Now faced with the problem of their solution, they have to compete in buying homes from the ever shrinking resource to accommodate the extra people they invited to solve the housing crisis leaving more and more people desperate for housing as exemplified by the month-by-month record breaking homeless figures.

Not bold enough, more than 1 in 5, approaching 1 in 4, social homes are given over to other EU and non EU citizens. Perfectly sane.

Still with me? Well, it doesnt matter if you are or aren't.

Needless to say, it's very sensible, and I pity the poor fools who cannot keep up with this Nobel prize winning strategy.

Now shut up and keep bidding against your own well being.

Homelessness has been an issue for decades.

Government were warned long before immigration started to this country, but they failed to do anything about it.

They continued to sell off social housing stock and failed to build new stock.

They then allowed private companies to be the provider of social housing, paying private landlords rent for social housing tenants, and buying properties in private estates.

All of which meant taking away existing private housing stock from the open market, meaning less and less houses for people to buy.

This is not new and has been going on for decades, government has ignored it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭hymenelectra

Even if you take what you say at face value, what effect would the arrival of several hundred thousand extra people have on those issues, do you think?

Or to extend the inferred, if there was less and less to go around, and even more and more people, what kind of scenario would that result in?

Advertisement