Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Serious Car Crash

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

Again, without an adjusted set of figures the stats you provided have zero context. Were they using the same metrics in 2014 and 2019? Are they really comparable? Who knows?

More serious injuries, coupled with a huge drop in fatalities, IS a good thing. Would you prefer the injuries to go down and the deaths to go up?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,351 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

That's a **** comment.

If a driver comes upon a slow moving car, they are within their rights to overtake when safe to do so.

Judgement regarding a safe overtake is centered around the speed of the vehicle being overtaken among other things.

In rural Ireland, you could travel 20 km easily waiting for a valid overtaking chance even if the car in front is doing something as slow as 40 km/hr.

The front car accelerating just when someone is overtaking is one of the most dangerous acts on the road and can unknowingly put the overtaking driver at risk. I've seen it a few times but had more than sufficient margin to safely overtake however that might not be the case for everyone every time.

Should be an instant ban if done on purpose imo.

Your response would suggest that everyone must drive at the chosen speed of the slowest driver on any given route. I suppose you also like to police the overtaking lane on any given motorway by sitting just under the speed limit in that lane, your thinking being that you are at or near the speed limit so nobody could be coming past you.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭GSBellew

That is a yield junction, so if there is traffic you yield until clear to enter, if that means you have to stop to wait that is the way it is, same as entering a roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

And another single car crash & death in donegal yesterday morning. Looks set to be a very bad year for road deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Be right back

The problem is that most people don't seem to. I was driving there towards the city with both lanes busy. A car coming onto the main road had to jam on and was nearly rear ended.

Very faded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Pass when it is safe to do so. If you are unable to do so, then don't attempt it and whinge and blame the other driver for you imagining them speeding up. Perhaps invest in a better, safer car rather than spending your money on go-faster stripes and body kits for your nissan micras. Or better still, a few driving lessons. The rules of the road book is probably available online for free so that won't cost you anything

Your last paragraph is a pis$ poor attempt at constructing a strawman. As in zero out of 10

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭GSBellew

There is a yield sign on both sides of the road in the first picture ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Be right back

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

People don't understand how to use an indicator or a roundabout and often attempt to while checking Insta. None of this is particularly shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭prunudo

Coincidentally this came on the radio yesterday, the open chords still resonate with me and bring me back to the first time I saw the ad. Maybe we need more shock and awe ad campaigns again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ARX

Is there any data available regarding the time of day at which crashes occur? I have the impression that a few years ago, most of the single-vehicle crashes I read about happened in the small hours of the morning, but it seems that daytime crashes are now more common than they used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭lalababa

Yep, we never find out what went wrong, there used to be an Australian program on one of the FTA channels that went through the forensic crash report (glossing over any sensitive stuff) that gave a rare insight into collisions...too fast/too heavy/ etc. Was very educational and not in the least upsetting or macabre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

It’s actually something we haven’t been exposed to as a society- we’ve had a few “shock” tv adverts but I don’t think they went down too well but anyway, I don’t think shock adverts work- a documentary on people living with life changing injuries might be a better approach or newspaper articles on that topic. I guess when we hear someone injured not killed, then we move on- life changing injuries are as devastating to families as deaths

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I think there's a level of cockiness about many drivers. I've a few male friends early-mid 40s. They think they are brilliant drivers, that they can handle and control any car, whatever speed. Same guys have all had accidents, thankfully no one killed or injured, but they all think someone or something else was at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

All the data is on the RSA website, research section.

Irish Times did a series of deep dives into particular crashes in recent years. RSA did a 3 or 4 part series of one-hour special reconstructions of particular crashes on Virgin Media in recent years. It's probably on their YouTube channel. I remember the young lade in her late teens who was very seriously injured by her own passenger airbag because she had her feet up on the dash, snoozing on a late night drive after finishing work in Galway, heading back home to her folks in the midlands.

Honestly folks, we have ALL the data we need.

We need to get drivers to slow down and put their phones down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,989 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I blame that ***** programme with their ***** presenters - Top Gear for contributing to road deaths and accidents.

Glamorises fast cars, speeding, selfishness, ignorance, entitlement, ego ... treated like a religion. Also stuff like What Car magazine etc etc ...

And we consume this stuff like sheep.

The funny thing is that we don't design or manufacture motorised transport in this country. We don't produce any energy to power these machines. We probably contribute nothing to road safety theory. Yet we think we are the bees knees when it comes to driving.

And someone pointed it ages back. The more dangerous the road the more reckless people are.

Also, more and more cars competing for dangerous road space. Some idiot will say let's make the roads safer. Like we can make all bendy roads straight. Or that people should be allowed speed regardless of the conditions.

No, just drive safer or don't drive.

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

As we're discussing the various ways in which our roads have become less safe, I just happened to see this tweet regarding vehicle weight and the dramatic increase in fatality for rates VRUs in a collision...

Define a "very bad year". What are you comparing it to so that it comes off as "very bad"?

I only ask as we are on course to hit about 184 deaths this year, which is barely outside the top 20 for 'good' years in the last century. Prior to 2016, there were only 2 years in the last 100 where there were fewer deaths.

Having 80% of the last 100 years figures showing as worse than the current year doesn't really qualify as "very bad" in anybody's book. The recent high profile couple of crashes aside, it's not been that bad. We are making huge strides in the right direction. And again, as with the other poster, this only deals with the raw numbers while the amount of people, cars, incidents, non-motorised traffic on the roads etc. have all exploded upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I don't know why they needed a study, that's just basic physics.

Is it a good thing that more people get to live versus dying in a car accident? Of course.

The fact we get more mangled people is just a byproduct of that. Better, from a societal POV, that they live than die. Plus, for every person with a seriously reduced quality of life, how many are relatively fine and continue to thrive and live a happy, healthy life?

• Advertisement

It culd be described as very bad simply because we're seeing yet more needless deaths on the roads which are easily preventable.

However, one could also describe it as very bad because when we should be seeing a decrease in road fatalities, especially to achieve the governments Vision Zero, we really have no excuse for seeing an increase in road deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Clearly I don't wish either injuries or deaths to go up.

I'd rather there were less crashes.

That would be best achieved by people following basic rules of the road, driving according to the road and weather conditions, being attentive at all times, being in a fit condition to drive, keeping their vehicle in a fit state to drive etc.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

Yes, fewer crashes, injuries and deaths is the ideal. Next best is the situation we currently have....i.e. fewer deaths only. How is this not a good thing, in your opinion? Because it's not perfect?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

RIP to those involved and condolences to those left behind.

When it came up on my news feed I assumed it was just a cached version from the earlier accident in Clonmel.

Devasted also for my colleagues in Tipp dealing with 2 such awful collisions in such a short space of time. I know from experience how awful it is being the person knocking on someone's door to break the news!

I don't know how it will change. I know at times the enforcement is not there but so many many times I just get 'theres real crimes going on out there', 'have you nothing better to be doing?', 'I was just late for _____', etc, etc...

There's a thread on speeding here in the motors section and so many people are caught and instead of holding their hands up and accepting that it was their responsibility as a driver not to speed they instead are looking for technicalities on how maybe they can get away without punishment, or blaming the location or saying it's not speeding that's to blame, it's phones...or roads....or other drivers, etc...

Look at any Garda tweet in relation to Checkpoints or traffic stops and inevitably someone will comment saying that it's a waste of time, it's revenue generation only and that we'd be better off stopping assaults in Dublin City, as if that is the only thing that matters.

It's fighting a forest fire with a handheld extinguisher at the moment. But people need to accept that they are responsible and they are in control, ultimately that is the only thing that can really change the current situation. The Gardai are not omnipresent and are not to blame because someone 'had' to make that overtake, 'had' to take that call, 'had' to drive at the speed limit (or above). It was never part of the rules of the road that if no Gardaí were present then you had free reign to drive how you liked!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,510 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

In 2021 about 25% all drivers killed in crashes weren't wearing seatbelts. (I'm aware passengers are included also.)

Maybe it's a road safety issue but sometimes I do wonder if mental health could also be an issue.

1st point:

Just because another person(s) died on the roads, that doesn't make it a very bad year. If only 10 die in 2024, this would smash all other records in this category and would be the exact opposite to a very bad year. It would be a very GOOD year. But, by your definition, 10 people died, therefore it's a very bad year. Also, not all road deaths are preventable, never mind easily preventable.

2nd point:

We ARE seeing a reduction in road deaths, over the medium/long term the figures are only trending in one direction. You'll always have statistical anomalies, but every single year where the figures don't go down doesn't mean it's a VERY BAD YEAR!!! Yes, this year is not as good as the previous 4 or 5, but it is better than 93 of the previous 95 before that. That's not a very bad year in anybody's book. Especially when you consider the other external factors already mentioned in terms of size of cars, number of road users, millions of kms travelled etc.

1st point:

Just because another person(s) died on the roads, that doesn't make it a very bad year. If only 10 die in 2024, this would smash all other records in this category and would be the exact opposite to a very bad year. It would be a very GOOD year. But, by your definition, 10 people died, therefore it's a very bad year. Also, not all road deaths are preventable, never mind easily preventable.

Surely any year when there are scores of deaths, most of which could have been prevented, is a very bad year. You don't need to compare it numerically against other years for it to be very bad.

I also never sakid that all road deaths are preventable. I did actually refer to "needless road deaths" which I'd have thought made that clear!

2nd point:

We ARE seeing a reduction in road deaths, over the medium/long term the figures are only trending in one direction. You'll always have statistical anomalies, but every single year where the figures don't go down doesn't mean it's a VERY BAD YEAR!!! Yes, this year is not as good as the previous 4 or 5, but it is better than 93 of the previous 95 before that. That's not a very bad year in anybody's book. Especially when you consider the other external factors already mentioned in terms of size of cars, number of road users, millions of kms travelled etc.

Hopefully this year is an outlier but we don't know yet. If nothing is done, which is the usual approach, then I'd expect this climb to continue.

As for the shouting "VERY BAD YEAR" - any year that has deaths that are preventable is a "VERY BAD YEAR" unless you can explain why it is not actually VERY BAD. It is an improvement on the past but let's not get complacent here in the terminology - the proper terminology would say that it's an absolute fu**ing disgrace that people can flout the laws because there is a very remote chance of being caught. It is an absolute fu**ing disgrace that our road safety body is fixated on tarting children up in high-viz because they don't have the fu**ing balls to tackle road safety properly. It's an absolute fu**ing disgrace that our government have allowed our road policing to become next to nothing. However, if you think that the figures increasing under the above conditions isn't an a very bad year then that's unfortunate. however, you are also ignoring that the figures also saw an increase in 2022, so 2023 is another increase (i.e. the start of a trend). These are the recent fatality stats with a simple projected 2023 figure based on (123/8)*12...

...this is the chart of the above data...

...and it's not a very bad year?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Nothing to do with these tragic deaths or other recent road deaths, RIP to those who have lost their lives and I wish the parents here the best, I don’t know how they are going to cope with this living nightmare.

But I have to say it's not strange at all and I can see why there are more accidents. Irish drivers are a DISGRACE. I see it EVERY single day, laws broken, no regard for others. Speeding, speeding through estates, 30km signs up everywhere, completely ignored, drivers speeding like it's a motorway, breaking lights, no indicators, using bus lanes, cars turning at pedestrian crossings, people on their phones, no regard shown for pedestrians, cars going up one way streets to save time.

There's no enforcement by the Gardai, they do their bank holiday routine on roads where there are no accidents. But apart from that I never see anything. The odd time you'll see speed cam vans, and I don’t know is that just a money making racket. Everyone behaves around them but then go back to normal once past them. There's so much impatience everywhere. Everyone in a hurry to get somewhere as fast as possible. If someone takes literally a couple of seconds to move when the lights go green, you'll have people thumping on their horn. It's not a minority who are guilty of offences, it's the majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭Panrich

Totally anecdotal, but my experience is that the standard of driving has gone down since Covid. The amount of silly manoeuvres that you see involving lane discipline, roundabouts and overtaking has certainly increased. There's a head shaking moment daily and my wife was nearly hit head on last week by someone overtaking coming around a bend on a main road.

• Advertisement

Surely any year when there are scores of deaths, most of which could have been prevented, is a very bad year. You don't need to compare it numerically against other years for it to be very bad.

That's a ridiculous argument and stance to take. Everything to do with annual stats and numbers needs to be compared to other years to see whether it's an improvement or disimprovement. By your definition above (i.e. when scores of people die) every single year ever is a very bad year, in which case pointing out that 2024 is a very bad year is both reductionist and pointless.

From a statistical point of view, claiming this as a very bad year with zero comparison to anything else is ridiculous.......e.g........Is 22 degrees a very hot temperature? Yes, if you're from the Arctic, no if you're from Riyadh. Yes if you're brushing your teeth, no if you're making tea or coffee. As a stand alone figure, it's pretty fcuking meaningless though.

You need to judge 2023 relative to the other years before you can determine how good or bad it is.

I also never sakid that all road deaths are preventable. I did actually refer to "needless road deaths" which I'd have thought made that clear!

How many of this year's road deaths have been needless and preventable, then? What percentage? and how are you calculating this percentage?

If 40 people die of heart attacks or other ailments behind the wheel, then these aren't preventable road deaths (in the normal scheme of things). They count, but they're not preventable. Therefore, this should be a very good year but your point above that any year where there are scores of deaths is a bad year directly contradicts this.

As for the shouting "VERY BAD YEAR" - any year that has deaths that are preventable is a "VERY BAD YEAR"

So every year is a very bad year then, in your opinion?

unless you can explain why it is not actually VERY BAD.

I already did, you chose not to address it. It's not a very bad year because it's a better year than about 80 of the previous 100 years. If you line all the years up in order of fatalities, this year is in the best 20%, and again, that's unadjusted figures which doesn't take anything else into account bar the raw data. That's better than most, which means it's not a very bad year, by definition.

the proper terminology would say that it's an absolute fu**ing disgrace that people can flout the laws because there is a very remote chance of being caught. It is an absolute fu**ing disgrace that our road safety body is fixated on tarting children up in high-viz because they don't have the fu**ing balls to tackle road safety properly. It's an absolute fu**ing disgrace that our government have allowed our road policing to become next to nothing.

This has nothing to do with the relative good or badness of a particular year and is a completely separate argument.

However, if you think that the figures increasing under the above conditions isn't an a very bad year then that's unfortunate. however, you are also ignoring that the figures also saw an increase in 2022, so 2023 is another increase

I'm ignoring nothing. You're ignoring the actual trend and instead looking for some sort of soon-to-be-but-maybe-not-actually-it's-quite-possible start of a trend. You can't say "look at this new trend" when you don't know it's gonna be an actual trend while also ignoring the actual trend which shows the number of deaths is trending downwards. Well, you can, but you'd look foolish.

Also, 2020 and 2021 are statistical anomalies and cannot be used in any meaningful context from a statistical POV. Changes in our behaviour towards, and use of cars and public transport, skew everything, meaning the data is corrupt.

We're improving. The last 5 years have been the best period in the country in terms of road deaths since the inception of the state, barring the pre-war years when a) nobody drove and b) they weren't driving fast enough to kill anyone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement