Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2023 **No Ticket Sales / Requests ** - It'll be grand

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Think once the main bars or stage close you can bring in your cans...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Regurgitation? Cmon dude. Current booking policy at FR is monkey with a typewriter craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

you can indeed but there was a limit at one point, must pick up a few cans tomorrow, i have sweet f.a. packed or ready for this.

Tent gear is good to go though since Forest Fest when I completely chickened out of camping in favour of a nice dry couch bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Fanirish

shockingly going to Electric Picnic isn’t an option for a lot of people due to half a dozen reasons. So if blur followed up their last Irish show in 2015 at EP with another exclusive EP appearance in 2023 then they would have annoyed alot of fans who couldn’t make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Gone though the Clashfinder twice (yes I know it’s not ready @Mucker46 & @darzog 😄) and have solid acts to see at 12 stages. That’s roughly twice as much as at other comparable festivals. 45-50 acts I’d be very happy to see, many of those at the outer stages (Croi, SD, Fishtown, Freetown) where I think independent curation is keeping the spirit of the fest alive. Far less gaps than last year, no dull afternoons this weekend .

And, whisper it, but I think despite all the initial gloom this is a far better fest than 2023, gives me (some) hope for the future. Or am I fooling myself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Think it is 4 cans, but presume can bring 4 per trip so can go back to tent for four if needed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Your comment that this time of year is bad for touring act availability doesnt hold up to scrutiny.

Policy/profit are dictating the lineup, not availability.

I agree with you on the need for the fest to adapt to younger audience members, for a broader/less challenging line up to tick more boxes. I also (grudgingly) accept the premise that streams and ticket sales are necessary factors in determining (justifying?) popularity to the widest possible base.

But there are touring acts that the festival could have gotten but decided not to. Overlap/proximity to other Irish appearances is baloney. Please don't now suggest that theres an aspect to FR policy to satisfy non-paying customers over those that plan on attending.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭dav09

I suppose it depends what way you look at it. One on hand it's great to see so many Irish acts given a chance, but on the other I can't see FR's obsession with the same bang average generic acts who mostly peaked 10+ years ago like Coronas, Gavin James, The Script, Belters Only every year. If I was really into them I could just go and see them at their almost yearly or biyearly local gig and they could have booked someone international I can't usually go see like they used to before. It's the same with people down the tiers, many of them regularly play gig venues/smaller festivals anyway so have seen most already at earlier festivals this year yet this is the only thing to look forward to, obviously this is the case every year but I guess if EP is your only festival/gig outing then maybe it's somewhat worth it.

Even if they just book much better quality/more exciting Irish acts that would help like Bicep, Fontaine's, Bell x1, I suppose that's subjective but still. Just the quality of lineup has decreased so much, paying more money for a sub quality product always turns me away, and can't see myself ever going again after this year (whereas I always get the early birds), out of tier 1&2 I think they're a 2 acts I'm looking forward to and both I've seen before Vs let's say even 2018 there there would be close to 10. The Script thing really disappointed me although I know there was a reason for the delay, just thought it was badly thought out from marketing team. There are some good acts, just most I've already seen many times before (this year even) and that's all I've to look forward to here, just personally can't justify it anymore, but I'm glad to see a lot of people still get excited for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭fourmations

tbh, the forecast is making it look better than last year either way, the relentless rain every night last year beat me!

August is a quieter month for international acts touring Europe. Yes there is big festivals in august throughout europe but it’s simply not in same league as May, June, July which are anchored by primavera, Glastonbury, roskikde, sonar, the list goes on.

read any interview with Melvin in last few weeks and he bluntly says he was work within the framework of availability of acts in august/September.

even he by and large can’t will an act into playing EP.

the persons with power are the agents for the likes the Blur, Billie eillish or similar level acts. They decide what offers to accept. They decide it across a number of factors including money, timing, venue.

and yes from experience agents do consider what/where was most recent Irish show in deciding whether to accept an offer. I.E we did a festival last time we played ireland, we want a headline show this time around. What can you offer you venue wise in these months?

overlap and proximity to other Irish festivals /shows is a major factor in reducing the number of big acts any promoter can book for a summer festival.

no FR policy but artist agent/manager do consider between festivals/headline shows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Kepler21

I agree; the rain really got to me last year as well.

I also have a pretty full schedule which I am very happy about, a couple of gaps early on some days that I need to do some more listening for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭rubick

At first pass of the Clashfinder we're currently on 34 acts and that's without much extra research, and around ten more than last year.

Anyone looking for more jungle - the DJ on before Executive Steve at Croi Crescent Earth Stage (12am) is worth checking out for some quality breakbeats. Sunday night is jungle night, lads!

I’ve just written off the main stage for all but 2/3 acts. This would be the same as at Glastonbury where the main two stages would only account for 4/5 of the acts I’d see all weekend. The more interesting stuff is to be found elsewhere.

And EP has much of that, in spite of rather than due to FR. There’s some great stuff in the main arena but, as you say, not enough of it. For that reason I’ve also not bothered with the early bird for 2024 but I’m pleasantly surprised by what’s available this weekend. I’d never expected Simple Kid & De Danann to return after so long away and there’s a lot of great young Irish stuff. I’ll return sometime, but like you I’ll want to see cash spent on better top tier acts.

You’re definitely right about July but there’s far more in August than in early June and there’s effectively nothing significant in May. Peak festival season is really mid-June to mid-August and now EP is scheduled at a time allowing them to book almost any major act on the Summer circuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Kepler21

Yes, on the EP Information page it says once the bars close at 1am, then you can bring in up to 4 cans p/p. They don't keep track of how many times you have come through with cans 😀

Primavera is really the anchor/kick off for a lot of international tours in europe which flow through to Glastonbury/roskilde. Look at the primavera/Glastonbury line up and only a handful of big international Acts are still about in mid late august.

EP moving will improve its options a bit as the last two weeks in august not great in europe for festivals

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭rockterrain

I think the wider problem is in other countries, as referenced, these would be booked as festival acts during the summer, elevating the quality of said festivals. Here they're booked as standalone gigs, selling out too, hence maximizing profits for the promotors with EP selling out in advance. In other words no incentive to reserve more lighthouse names for the festival circuit here. This would a) cost more to book and b) not take advantage of the standalone gig demand that is there. It's not a causality thing, it's a strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

I see both your points. I agree with Seath that there is far more on this year to occupy oneself with. No need to wander around trying to fill time. Yet there isn't one single act across the whole weekend i'm excited/desperate to see. International acts i'm interested in i have seen before (aside from Nia Archives) and thought they were decent but not blown away. Irish acts i like i have seen multiple times and can do so every year if i choose to. Not many new discoveries rocking my world either but a few i'll have a look at if no clashes. I did buy an early bird 'cos i know i'll be able to sell it on easily. Plus it's the 20th anniversary and ive attended all of them so i'd like to round it off on an even number (i know, makes no sense but there you go).

Who was that band Darzog recommended a while back. Consensus being that they'd blow away the cobwebs? Never mind, just remembered it was Julie.

I'm off to Codeine in Whelans tonight to ease into things😁

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

Roskilde and Glasto are the last weekend of June, effectively the start of festival season.

Primavera Sound is an outlier, the only major festival at the start of June (Rock Am Ring is hard rock/metal and doesn’t share acts with EP, etc) . EP is now right in the mix for grabbing artists that may not have been willing to play at the start of Sept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Manner14

Anyone here that uses toutless have issues with private messages sitting in your outbox. I've missed out on a couple of early access tickets because of this

• Registered Users Posts: 15,647 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Seems to be no shortage of tickets for sale on Twitter anyway.

Few small gaps to fill, maybe that will be time to eat, but a busy weekend ahead with some decent bands I haven't seen before or for a while so excited to see, some previouslyseen but happy to see again and some brand new bands. As always plenty of clashes showing while not as good as previouslystill plenty i am happy to see. Bring it on

On the subject of cans....its gonna be warm so whats the best....thinking blue moon (only wheat beer I can see in cans) and Bulmers...thoughts of warm Guinness isn't doing it for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,647 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

With the sheer amount of tickets for sale that crossed my mind, bots or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭TenPicnics

They sit there because the person you sent a PM to is logged out from Toutless, but even if logged out they get an automated email telling them there's a PM in their inbox with a link to it.

All scams #ticketfairy.....think the only was to be really safe is meet up and get the tickets transferred there and then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Good to see the ebbing and flowing tide of Boardsie feeling towards EP pushing back to the positive. The devil as always is in the outskirts, all the brilliant action in SD, Jerry, Brutopolis etc. to fill in the gaps from the main arena. I'd say there's 30 acts there I'd have liked to see this year and the weather will transform it. I'm with @fourmations and @Kepler21, the rain bet me down a bit last year. Just finished packing for EOTR, away straight from work tomorrow, I'm like a kid on Christmas eve. Have a brilliant weekend, lads. I expect a Boardsie pic, as is now tradition. Look forward to the reviews next week. May the sun shine down on all your baldy heads. Kick a teenager for me.

Advertisement