Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Electricity Plan for new EV Owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

They told me €298 too.

They agreed that I can withdraw any credit after 3 months and they will base the next charges on my actual usage.

2 months to go so we will see what happens. I got the impression they were just telling me what i wanted to hear though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ronoc101

Posted similar in Bargain Alerts thread. Was going to sign up until discovering the up front billing. Will go Energia instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Look I would be very grateful for some advice on which plan is likely to be of benefit to me. We have a smart meter but are not currently on any form of smart plan. We are currently with Energia - just run out of contract.

We recently bought a BEV and have installed a 7.3kw charger. 4 kids insured on that car so it will be getting used quite a bit I guess but will mainly be dublin driving not long distances. Can program it to charge during whatever hours we want at night.

We have 4 young adult children living at home with us and our electricity consumption during the day is quite high. I also work from home three days a week, though i suspect that doesn't move the needle too much.

Anyway for a fairly heavy household daytime use and a BEV I am guessing the Energia EV plan would cost us more during the day than we would gain on EV charging. could anyone who actually understands this stuff suggest a plan for a new EV user with fairly heavy daytime usage?

Edit: I spoke to Energia who inform me that i am nearly double the national average for electricity and gas both. they offered me a 14% discount on their normal rates based on that high usage and looking at my usage patterns they suggested "time of use tariff" - which i am assuming is a smart tariff. incorporating discount electricity would be 0.44 per kw during day, 0.2341 at night (11pm-8am) and 0.46 peak (5-7).

Is that good?

Post edited by Fian on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭rob w

Deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭rob w

@DownByTheGarden Yeah, that's my worry. That when the time would come to claim the credit back they won't do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Sign up to the Flogas Community plan, there's a link posted a few pages back. It's on a day/night meter like your current plan so no need to move to a smart meter

Once you go onto a smart plan there's no going back

I'd say the Energia Smart Drive plan is only good if you have solar panels and a decent sized battery that you can charge during the 4 hour charging window. The rates outside that window are crushing

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 9,049 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Your situation is very similar to mine, maybe you have a bit more EV charging. I'm on the Flogas BWG 24hr plan @ 29.99c per unit and the bills are just about manageable we use around 9000Kw per year. I recommend you keep away from any smart plans as they're just too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭Buffman

All the Flo deals are gone from the public domain now, probably won't be back as apparently they did the rounds on FB. With those gone and Waterpower not taking new business for a few weeks, there's no good value out there.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

Reports on the BA thread of BGE cutomers who are coming to end of contract being offered 'decent' discounts on their online accounts, might be worth checking out if you're in this position.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

Not quite true, if you're a BG customer nearing the end of your contract they're offering big discounts for people to stay, up to 39% people are getting, stick it out to the last day and they'll offer it through the app.

• Advertisement

I changed from bord gais and called them before i moved and said what can you offer me to stay. 5% discount they said, i said no. So i moved provider. the day after I changed they called me again and offered 30% discount. I had already changed at that point and wasnt going to change back to them for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

I'm going to go for Bord Gais EV smart Dual fuel.

I use alot of gas each year - 20000 kwhrs. 6 adults and 4 of them between 19-25 equals alot of hot water use and we have gas fired central heating and a gas hob too. based on that this looks like the best value for me. 12 month contract.

Gas

Unit rates

14.61 12.42 cent per kWh

Annual Standing Charge

€169.40

Carbon Tax

€0.00877/kWh

Electricity

Day units (8am to 11pm)

40.82 cent per kWh

Peak units (5pm to 7pm)

56.92 cent per kWh

Night units (11pm to 8am)

30.79 cent per kWh

EV units (2am to 5am)

10.40 cent per kWh

Annual Standing Charge

€418.78

PSO levy

€-7.43

12 month contract as well rather than 24.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭eagerv

Yes, was horrified when I checked with Energia a few minutes ago. My excellent fixed rate Day/Night contract is out on the 1st Sept.

Best they will do is 45.12/21.64c incl VAT. Not sure what to do, cannot see anything better at the moment, pity I didn't grab the Flogas deal when was available...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭10-10-20

That Energia rate is variable and they do try to get you onto a 24m plan, but will modify it to 12m.

The rep explained to me that it's going to offer the same variability as any other Energia plan, so if the prices for down for other customers in the short-term, then you'll also obtain the same reduction, which seems fair to me.

And as I posted elsewhere: Energia just reminded me that in the event of an upward price adjustment on a variable rate contact, you have 30 days from the rate-change to terminate the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭John arse

Yeah finished energia contract 2 Moro,(rang around yesterday- got nowhere),so I am going to continue out of contract with energia 53.08c-25.46c D/N(not much difference to what they offered me)until something better comes along.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

Im in the same boat and almost tempted to take up the 15% discount offer on the basis that I will still benefit from any future prices decreases implemented over the term of the contract. Only concern I would have is that unit price might vary but the contracted 15% discount might remain fixed while new customers might benefit from larger discounts down the road

Ye, they literally just started offering that after I had posted. Luckily people posted about it on the BA thread or nobody would know about it. Not much good to those not already with BGE unfortunately, hopefully the discounts will be offered to new customers sooner rather than later.

I assume your 'out of contract' rate is insane so waiting around isn't an option? There seems to be a bit of movement with some providers at the moment as evidenced by BGE, and Waterpower should be back in the mix in a few weeks, so I'd definitely keep an eye on the market.

The BA thread is a good one to watch.

Who has the best Gas rate, if you are not going with dual fuel options.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

chance them again, my ev rate with them was up today, and they offered me 20% discount, i had put through a move the day before to flow gas. energia offered me 42.46 day and 20.37 night and the standing charge was near 100 less than flow gas. Was nice to be in that insulated bubble of low fixed price on that ev rate.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the Bargain Alerts thread, haven't been there before. Will have a little read later..

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Look back through this thread for info on Flogas 'community plans' (around p. 104/ 105). These come and go. There was one for gas only.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭big_show

Apologies for digging this up again but purely an FYI for people looking at getting a day/night meter. I had my day/night meter installed this morning.

It took two weeks (since the above comment) of back and forth between flogas saying they submited the request, ringing esb the following day to acknowledge the request was sent, then to be told it was not indeed sent by flogas.

The request finally made it to ESB on Tuesday, an appointment was booked for today but they said they were giving me an old day/night meter. (I've solar so my measured export was now gone, we've no EV so were exporting a nice bit) They mentioned an alternative was to cancel the request and reapply once the measured "smart" day/night meters launched in the next few weeks. I balked at that given the hassle it was to get this far, so we settled on the following, I'd take the old day/night meter sacrifice the export for a few weeks and then ring ESB and ask to get prioritised for a new "smart" day/night meter as I'm considered micro-generation.

So I finally got there but man was it a hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I did the same last year, best thing ever. I'd say you're one of the last people that will be able to switch to MCC02 day night. Once the day night smart meters come, I suspect MCC02 will be grandfathered and only available to existing customers.

I agreed to the BWG rates for the day night meter but still no bloody meter😡

Great result. The fecker in esbn told me they weren't installing old type meters anymore. What should I do to get this meter over the line? See is the request with esbn? Would that be the starting point?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

Prices including VAT. Got 45c day/21c night with Energia with 15% discount included by the rep. Switched from SSE. SSE called me trying to keep me, but couldn't offer a better night rate. I remember their best was 23c.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭big_show

The request has to come from the supplier so start there. Confirm the request had been sent from the supplier (which was the biggest issue with mine) and then ring esbn to confirm the request went across. Generally it appears on the esb side over night. Esb were great to deal with. It's the suppliers that are giving the run-around

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Might be a stupid question, but do smart meters always have the correct time or is the clock manually set at the time of the install ?

I’ve an old day/night meter that’s off (slow) by around 15 minutes and always have to factor that into the charging start time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Advertisement