Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Is it me or is it an unusually high number of guys leaving leinster this year before they would get a firm no (presumably) on the academy? That’s three (briggs, treacy, naughton) by my count.

Wow, i was wondering why no one had signed him.

I kind of like this pickup honestly. Club guy, not at same level of development as some others but really looks to have it physically.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,797 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Leinster have already announced their new academy arrivals back in may.

8 players on the way in is a good sign.

That wasn’t really what i meant. None of the three i mentioned would have been inductees for leinster this year. It would have been next year if they made it. Leinster usually don’t take guys in early.

There were a number of guys who went to other academies (nicholson, hadden, foxe, victory) who are ‘normal’ as in they seemed to have left because there aren’t enough spots this year in what would be their expected induction year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

It's difficult to see where these lads will be in a few years. I have seen most of them play at school level. At 20's level, Hadden and Foxe looked really good. Hadden while not as dynamic as McCarthy, did look a really good player. Foxe was fantastic! Munster got a couple of future stars imo. It could bite us in the arse.

Lasisi switched to tight head and hasn't made a dent! McGuire missed the entire year! If McCarthy is a tight head, letting Hadden move is not ideal.

• Advertisement

McCarthy is prob the best prop prospect i’ve seen in u20 since porter so its tough. He really does not seem like a tighthead to me but leinster’s looshead chart is stacked all the way down. Both Hadden and Foxe seem like good prospects though.

I think you guys took in 8 guys which is prob close to the max for one year considering 20 is max for academy i think. Not sure if that is a hard limit but i can’t remember anyone having more than 20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

A lot of Leinster players do a sub academy year before the academy and the three you mentioned took academy offers in what would be their subacademy year.

It honestly could be anything.

I've seen suggestions that next year's leinster academy class may be small as there are only 3 scheduled graduates (I disagree but I could see rumours like that weighing on an 18 year old mind).

I've heard squad members talk positively of one of this years ireland u19 coaches who has a role in the Connacht academy.

Mark Sexton (Johnny's brother) was a very successful part of the Ireland u20 set coaching set up. He would have a good idea of the up and coming players around the country and has now joined the Connacht senior coaching set up. Maybe he has a bit of cachet when recruiting.

I would guess its competition and yea possibly Sexton as well.

I think you’ll get to at least 6 next year. You will have 5 spots (3 graduates and 2 empty spots if 20 is max) and usually one guy takes a leap and grabs an early senior deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

It's not hard and fast numbers in the academy.

They won't let a prospect go if they think they are good enough based on numbers.

Leinster view when selecting is "will this guy play for Ireland" so even though a player looks like a good pro Leinster look for higher.

Happy to see players move to get a pro deal when Leinster pass on them.

I believe the 20 maximum is the max that the irfu funds. Provinces can fund additional places out of their own funds if they choose to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,529 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I'd prefer to use this time to give Frawley a run at 10. Share it between Frawley and H Byrne amd let them actually play evey week for a while. It the moment were assuming Frawley is a long term 10 but I'd bet he hasn't played that much at 10 over the last couple of years.

We need to test the hypothesis that he's a top level 10.

Sam P and Barron are both on senior contracts. Year 3's this season are Boyle, Murphy, Cosgrave and Lasisi. I would expect the 1st 3 to get contracts. Lasisi probably needs to rip it up to have a chance. There will be openings. Possible to get another 6 in next season. Then there's retirements and players moving on. Healy will retire this season. Ala'Alatoa will move on and Jenkins too. Some lads may go elsewhere! I would not be surprised to see a couple of 2nd years get senior deals next season.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Is Soroka on a senior contract?

I’m 90% sure that 20 is a hard max. I can’t remember where i heard it but it was someone employed by the irfu.

However, more guys than you would think get a senior contract after year 2. So, you could prob comfortably induct 8 a year.

Ah, yea i guess they can always fund their own. I’m not sure how that works as i think academy coaches are also direct irfu contracted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

No idea of these particular players' circumstances but I'd imagine not everyone can afford to do a year in the sun academy for free, especially if not Dublin based and living with parents.

I think Leinster have been quiet cleat that they see him as a centre with the possibility of utility cover rather than a 10.

He can play a few games at 10 to keep the utility cover badge next to his name but he is not a 10.

Do you think he will leave after his contract if that stays the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

He's shown no intention of leaving to this point, despite continuously not being trusted in big games. So I'd say probably not. He seems happy enough being a squad player.

• Advertisement

I guess it depends. Its possible he signed last time to compete for the job. Now that he has lost that competition (maybe?) then it might be attractive to move.

Ah. OK, I did know that. I presumed he was mainly a 10. If thats the case then I don't think he'll ever be a first team starter. And I have no idea what he's doing at Ireland camp. He's nowhere near an Ireland level centre. If he's a centre then he should be covering the centre when the Ireland players are away with Ireland. Being in Ireland camp defeats the purpose.

Do we know if Ireland see him the same way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,406 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Frawley is a bit of a Swiss Army knife useful at many things. He is a very useful squad player though for both Leinster and for Ireland, I could see him joining the squad at some stage later in the tournament if we lost a couple of backs in a fixture and they decided to bring out say Healy if he was fit and just one back.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Leinster pretty definitively moved Frawley to 12 years ago. The only one keen to see him at 10 is Farrell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

And maybe Frawley might be keen to see himself as a 10.

If his game time is limited this season he should move. Its very difficult for him to make the Irish final squad when he is not in the shop window at leinster. He could push for starting 10 at ulster to connacht.

He has sat on the bench for the full 80 minutes in the last 2 H Cup finals. Its not exactly a vote of confidence in him from Leinster. Basically they are saying we'll use you in an emergency only.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Hearing a few factors in Foxes move to Munster. Namely the oversubscription of props in Leinster.

Could well have been an IRFU led thing which is very fair. We have Lasisi and McGuire in there as well as potentially McCarthy.

As UU20s pointed out there are quotas.

I don't know if the IRFU whispered encouragements or drove the bus for him to Garryowen but it makes sense that he goes.

Leinster were in a position to offer him a second year in Sub academy with a murkier path to senior rugby. It's more straight forward in Munster.

Disappointing for us. He might end up being a solid bit of business for Munster. But 50/50 decisions have to be made sometimes. And occasionally they're made wrong. But many times they're made right.

Either way fair play to him for getting himself a contract. He's another great example of a more atypical route to pro rugby

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Frawley might be keen to play 10 but Leinster have moved him away from there before he signed his most recent contract. So it’s not news to him they don’t see him there.

He is and he isn't. When fit, he's very skillful and useful. But his injury profile is not great.

Hopefully he can stay fit for the run of games when the internationals are away

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Purist98

Delighted for him to get something with a province.

Leinster have big wraps on a couple of tightheads at u20 and u19 this year so that might've been a factor too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Crowley coming through as strongly as he has makes Frawley surplus to requirements for what Farrell envisioned him for in the squad - a 10 that can play multiple other positions in the backs.

Crowley might have swung the pendulum so far now that he'll be starting 10 post WC, so Frawley might end up staying in the frame in that 10 plus utility role.

Advertisement