Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭gilly1910

I have vague recollections of 1985 been awful, however I don't remember 2007 & 2008 been worse than this Summer. It's funny how quickly we forget, even though in mind this has been one of the worst Summers ever, which it has been in alll fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Brightening up in Meath. Rain stopped. Hope that's it for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Rain

The past week has been drier than normal across much of the country with accumulations ranging between roughly 40% and 90% of average. However, in parts of north Ulster, rainfall amounts were a bit higher than normal with around 1 to 2 times the average amount of rainfall recorded. Parts of south Munster also saw near or above average rainfall. It was wettest in the north Ulster with 42.2 mm recorded at Malin Head, Co. Donegal. Southeastern parts of Leinster were driest with accumulations down to just 6mm or around 37% of average. The week ahead will be drier than average in many areas. Most areas will see 35 to 70% half of their usual rainfall amounts, but parts of southern Connacht and coastal areas in the east and north may see more than average.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Anyone notice the dark red Moon tonight? I presume its wildfire smoke from Canada coming across in the westerly airflow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Yes I noticed it last night was only saying the same thing to my friend yesterday the sunsets are the same as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yes saw it yesterday but my phone takes crap pics of moon. Never saw it so red. Absolutely wildfire smoke.

This weekend promises dry fair weather and temperatures of 21c. Summer is definitely over now since no washout weekend like last 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Signs of settled weather for next week, hopefully a decent September ahead.

Plenty of showers this evening.

Just one in Sligo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭acequion

Fingers very tightly crossed. Everyplace needs drying out and everybody needs a break from the gloom and muck. Yesterday was decent enough in Tralee but every other day since Saturday, including today so far, has been poor. Even one week of a settled spell would help shorten the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Took the kids going back to school for it to settle down, hasn't been this settled since the leaving cert finished!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Calm and cloudy and cool enough in Dublin but it's not raining or windy so I'll take it. Now that summer is over I can enjoy days like this without feeling cheated. Summer is the worst season in Ireland, just heartbreaking.

That was a fairly bad Summer but June saved it being as bad as 2007 to 2012. July we had an odd warm day, August we had 1 warm day. August weatherwise must be Irelands worst month and should no longer be called Summer. Calk it monsoon if you wish but its not Summer. 19 out of the past 21 August's have been poor.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

This summer was bad but we do get decent summers fairly regularly compared to Winter which has to be easily for me the most dissapointing season each and every year. We are lucky to get one decent winter every 10 years whereas we get about 4 or 5 decent or half decent summers every 10 years.

Cool 16-17c day in Portlaoise. More like the 30th September than 30th August.

Let's hope for a bit of heat from Saturday on. As you get older every season and year seems to go more quickly. But this 'summer' takes the biscuit. Great early weather and as we settled down to enjoy our summer it flew by like a wet weekend.

Oh I hate cold and snow so I appreciate the mild weather in winter for jogging outside and cycling to work etc., never mind the low heating bills

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭esposito

Agree. We can be around 90% sure that this winter will be mainly mild wet and windy and 100% sure that Christmas Day itself will be around 14 C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

July/August were bad but not awful here in Cork. The reason they FELT awful was because of the continual washout weekends. 8 of them IIRC. During the week it was at least not raining - hardly summer weather but warm enough and calm enough. When everyone was at work. Then Friday comes and along potters a very wet low pressure.

Over east ye get more decent summers than we do here in the south west. And ye actually do better in winter too. In Kerry it's mild muck year round, with the odd heatwave or cold wave, some of those only lasting a few days. I'm with you in enthusiasm for a proper winter. For a few years I used to be on a committee where I attended regular meetings in Dublin in the winter months. I used to love how much colder, brighter and drier it was compared to Kerry and it was one reason I loved my days out there. I also lived in Dublin for a spell many years ago. Maybe it's milder these days in winter, but still better than here I would say. As I type I can see out my window that the Slieve Mish mountains are completely shrouded in mist, the sky is almost on the ground and there is a steady drizzle that would drench you to the bones. The joys of living in the wild Atlantic way! We do have beautiful scenery, that is when you can see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭alentejo

Summer 2023 was awful. July and August are the two months which the schools are closed and the majority of days it rained. It was compounded that the weekends often were washouts.

Now that the schools are starting, we appear to be having high pressure (which we haven't had since June).

Utter depressing summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Looks like it will be the 1st weekend in 7 weeks that we have high pressure in charge yay

• Registered Users Posts: 9,476 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Shudder!! That would be the absolute pits 😭

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Super blue moon rising over Greystones. Could have done with a little less cloud!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Robwindstorm

There's no "would" about it. that's exactly how it's been the last few Christmas Days, mid teen temps. Horrendous, unseasonal stuff and I personally hate it. Give me a cold, seasonal white Christmas any day, but that's as likely in Ireland as tropical nights in summer. Can happen but very rare.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

We get this almost every single year since 2012. Mild Decembers, 8 to 13C generally but a spike to 14C around Christmas followed by a mild January similar to December. We used to rely on February cooling down with easterlies perhaps early March but even these seem to be becoming a thing of the past with mild continuing right through February and on into March and then that's it for another year. 2018 has been the only winter season which actually delivered winter in well over a decade. The north-westerlies in mid January where actually cold enough and potent enough for snow showers to make it right across the country and then we had the beast end of February and early March. Since then I've barely seen a flake of snow and the PV of doom get's going almost every single winter and northern blocking is rarely to be seen. I'll stop here since this is starting to go off topic as this is the summer thread which will be closing in a few days.

• Advertisement

20 minutes until the last day of summer 2023.

Bye bye, 👋

Advertisement