Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spain - Women World Cup Champions - 1 week later. (How not to manage a crises)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Ah yes. The bastion of “truth” that is the Daily Mail….

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Definitely agree with you about the event overshadowing their achievement but to be honest it may be the only reason a lot of people know Spain won the women's world cup this year. I don't think it is a nothingburger though with the antics of the Spanish FA chief threatening all and sundry. This is how you dont manage a PR crisis. A bit like the Tubridy case, where people referred to it as a nothing burger but it was handled so badly it became bigger.

I dont think it was a sexual assaults but if you did it more than once in a professional setting it would be akin to sexual harassment.

They should have agreed a statement between them, not releasing a statement only agreed to by him. He should have initiated some sort of internal professional conduct review like any other professional organization would do. You mention that Spanish clubs may be kicked out of Europe but that is only Rubiales threatening to do that but It wont happen I suspect as it seems the whole FA has turned against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,891 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Because you appear to be defending the Spanish manager doing that act in a moment of passion, whilst on the other hand giving an example whereby you would take a manager to court for doing exactly the same thing.

The simple solution, in both your examples, would be for managers not to kiss people on the lips. Not that hard to do.

Even in moments of celebration, and especially not on the world stage, not at a global tournament indirectly representing female equal rights progress, then doubling down on it after.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,648 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

So if a woman who is raped is asked by her friends immediately afterwards if she was ok and she says that she is, and laughs it off, then she cannot report the rape because her immediate reaction, when in shock, is taken as gospel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Ki ki

That is not what I have said.

I have said (a few times now, this will be my last), that I do not know how Hermoso felt during, or after the kiss.

I have said, that if I was in her situation, I THINK I could forgive (him).

And that is because I don't think Rubiales meant the kiss in anything other than a friendly way (yes, to the extreme).

I have never, and would never, discourage anyone from reporting a rape (or sexual assualt).

You have said that because she was seen with a photo and joking and laughing immediately afterwards that she must have been ok with the kiss. Isn't that just the exact same defence that most accused rapists use?

Here are your words:

there was Hermoso's radio interview afterwards, saying the kiss was nothing and that she had a great relationship with the president. She laughed it off.

I am astonished that any woman would use something said or done by another woman in the immediate aftermath of an incident of sexual harrassment as a defence of the perpetrator. Many many women, in the serious shock of what has happened to them, have laughed off incidents in the immediate aftermath, and that has come back on them unfairly.

My opinion is very clear. The Spanish President acted in a completely inappropriate way at the ceremony, Hermoso's responses have nothing to say on it one way or the other and with a suitable humble apology (not the half-hearted one he gave) he could have got away with it. However, what clearly demands his resignation are his actions since the incident, threatening the woman with legal action, double-downing on the consent issue, and generally trying to bully his way out of it. Those are resigning matters.

I remain astonished and deeply saddened by the attempts to defend him. It seems that society is learning nothing from these incidents.

People who perhaps feel they would be in the same legal trouble if they were honest about it. There hasn't been a whole lot of culture denouncing sex pests, either. Thank the harvey Weinsteins of the world. Poor Kif was the only one who had a mind about being raped to death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,970 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

It's nothing to with the Daily Mail.

The video was given to a Spanish Publication. El Español.

Full video is there.

You'd struggle to find many other online publications that are carrying the story, strange that really given how popular the story is.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,555 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I said in the opening post that I was most interested in the topic because of what happened after the incident than the incident itself.

I have said that I personally don't feel that he was guilty of 'sexual assault' in the context of what we understand that term to mean, but it was beholden of him to be completely contrite and understanding of how his actions were problematic. But the actions of the federation in targeting Hermoso is very problematic and indicates how difficult incidents like this are for women in general.

Someone yesterday suggested that if a male team won and a female administrator or owner behaved as Rubiales did that it wouldn't be a problem. But that is ignoring the difference in power dynamics that generally exist between men and women. Women have been saying for years how everything from being told to smile or cat call is something that they don't enjoy. A lot of people push back on that (there's been some intense discussions on the topic on here) saying its just verbal and they're being excessive or dramatic. But too many women have seen things escalate from a comment, to a catcall, to a proposition, to a touch, to assault to rape and even murder and I can understand that many women are uneasy with even the lower level behavior because they don't know to where it could escalate either immediately, or later.

Sexual assault and rape is notoriously difficult to prosecute and the statistics for convictions are not in women's favor and quite often, upon the announcement of a not guilty conviction, or the withdrawing of charges, we see calls for the woman to be prosecuted for having made a false accusation. It's no wonder in such an environment that women are hesitant to voice up on what has been done to them. I mean, there's not shortage of people who would be happy if Greenwood was accepted back in to play for Utd despite what everyone knows he did.

Also, I've seen some posters glibly comment on female teams being like mobs in getting managers fired and again, that's a selective or blinkered position. There's no shortage in male sport of managers losing their jobs because 'they've lost the dressing room' so to ignore that but to select women's team are some sort of woke mob because they are flagging the impact on their collective mental health is being very selective.

A user said something along the lines of “good to see the truth is getting out there”, and then linked to a Daily Mail article.

Yet you have the audacity to say it’s nothing to do with the Daily Mail?

Really? It’s literally the source I was given.

fwiw, I think 6 months probation would be a fair outcome of this case for all involved.

You can’t go around kissing people without their consent, and you should definitely not threaten to sue them into silence. What he did afterwards was arguably worse.

If had acted sorry, apologised and moved on, we wouldn’t be talking about this. Before you get your knickers in a twist, he may have apologised, but he did a u-turn the following day so the apology is moot.

Yet you have the audacity to say it’s nothing to do with the Daily Mail?

It isn't.

You were given the original source and video but you are angry at me for some reason?

You're welcome.

Because the quote above is what I was referring to: A Daily Mail Article. Which another poster then said:

You are just arguing in bad faith now. The Daily Mail is a rag and “Truth” is not in its remit.

Yeah the Daily Mail is complete racist shít heap.

But I have now linked you to the article with the full unedited video.

Have you any comment on it, because it is quite pertinent?

Excellent synopsis that I agree with.

It all shows that this is a cultural issue, people not understanding the power relationships, thinking that they can then bully a woman into silence.

I mean, there's not shortage of people who would be happy if Greenwood was accepted back in to play for Utd despite what everyone knows he did.

I have no interest in going off topic with this one, people think they know what happened in that case. They so don't.

United do, that's that why he was been reintegrated into the squad.

Wasn't to be though, so hopefully his family are happy wherever they end up.

I get she doesnt seem that much bothered by what happened at this stage, but she thought about and then decided she though it unprofessional. That is the risk Rubiales took by kissing someone without their permission.

I think the lesson is dont kiss someone without their permission.

• Advertisement

Yip, that is what she said alright, she went a little bit further though than just "unprofessional"

Again though it is very little to do Rubiales.

Vilda is the target.

The statement calls for the leaderS in Spanish football to be sacked.

So Rubiales kissed her, made at statement on her behalf, lied in a speech about her , threatened to sue her, but this is little to do with him? Is this seriously your theory?

Vilda could have chosen not ot support Rubiales , then he would be safe.

I do recognize that you said that you don't want to go off topic, but given the context of this discussion is largely around the topic of what constitutes acceptable behaviour, it is worth posting the dialog of Greenwood and his GF.

"I don't want to have sex", to which the man replies: "I don't give a **** what you want ... I'm going to **** you, you twat ... I don't care if you want to have sex with me ... I asked you politely, and you wouldn't do it, so what else do you want me to do?

To suggest, that there is anything else in this scenario other than completely unacceptable behavior by someone is just wrong, and dangerous.

If a recording exists of a man saying that to a woman, and for some people to say that he should not be held accountable, what chance can a woman expect her reporting of behavior that made her feel uncomfortable, unsafe, violated to be taken seriously?

I would challenge any man who absolves Greenwood of his actions to tell one woman in his life who he cares for what his view is, and see what way she reacts.

There have been some hinting that the full recording gives a slightly different picture. I can only assume that there is some suggestion of consensual non-consent.

Whether that is true or not, leaving it out there as a possibility seems to be what United are at in order to avoid trouble.

Doesn't apply in this case at all though.

I am not absolving anyone of anything or defending anyone.

I mean, there's not shortage of people who would be happy if Greenwood was accepted back in to play for Utd despite what everyone knows he did.

I responded to your assertion that "everyone knows what he did."

Trust me 99.9% of people have no idea what happened in that case nor do they really care to know.

It's as strange as it is sad.

Maybe someday the story will be told or a journalist will be brave enough to write a piece on the actual facts of it and by brave I don't mean defending or absolving anyone just the actual story. It won't happen because of reporting restrictions, but that may change.

The reality is United concluded that he should be brought back into the club, United are as woke as fúck and Greenwood is a talent but not as good as people are talking about plus he hasn't played in nearly 2 years so it was hardly worth the hassle. They released an intention to the media.

Then the backlash started. #Boycott Adidas, then it wasn't worth the hassle.

But, Like I said nothing to do with this thread.

Well no. All the players had absolutely no problem with the kiss evidenced by the video above of them ripping the píss out of Rubiales hours after it happened.

They had no problem until they had.

Again you are forgetting that Vilda left 12 big players, big personalities, big stars at home, club team mates and friends of the players who went and then did the unthinkable, he managed them to a World Cup win without them.

Again this is very little to do with a kiss. But if you want to believe that I won't change your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

What “reporting restrictions”?? We all know what Greenwood is

• Registered Users Posts: 23,492 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Makes sense for him to go from fawning over Rubiales to Greenwood.

Unexpected consistency from the poster concerned. We all know his view on women and consent.

I've got to come back to this.

Trust me 99.9% of people have no idea what happened in that case nor do they really care to know.

It's as strange as it is sad.

Are you really telling us that you know a reality about the Greenwood situation that means we should discount the recording of the horrific things that he said and the images that accompanied the release of that recording?

That's an incredibly revealing position to hold and in the context of this discussion, of course you are never going to accept Rubiales behavior was unacceptable if the bar for what constitutes unacceptable behavior is so high.

In terms of your view that Utd are 'woke as fcuk'. What do you mean by that? Do you think that any company who holds someone associated with them to account is only doing it because they are 'woke' or being manipulated in to acting that way? Do you not think that people who work in companies are not capable of having moral standards themselves? Or do you think that any moral standard is noting more than being 'woke'?

• Advertisement

You are proving my point for me. You are using hyper emotive language in a case you clearly know very little about.

So it impossible to have a rational discussion based on reality and facts with someone who clearly doesn't want to.

Do you think that any company who holds someone associated with them to account is only doing it because they are 'woke' or being manipulated in to acting that way? Do you not think that people who work in companies are not capable of having moral standards themselves? Or do you think that any moral standard is noting more than being 'woke'?

Again this is so frustrating, if you are going to have such fervent views on a topic at least research it or actually read what people you are actively engaging with tell you.

Here is the actual official club statement.

Richard Arnold's open letter to Manchester United fans

Richard Arnold is the CEO of Manchester United:

Dear fans,

Now that we have concluded and announced the outcome of the club's investigation into Mason Greenwood, I want to be direct and transparent with our fans about the process and the reasons for our decision.

This was an internal disciplinary investigation between employer and employee which would ordinarily take place outside of the public eye. Given the public nature of the allegations and Mason's profile, I acknowledge that this was not an ordinary situation, but I felt it important that we still follow due process and, so far as possible, avoid media comment until I had made a definitive decision.

When audio footage and imagery was posted online in January 2022, my feelings were of shock and concern for the alleged victim. Her welfare, wishes and perspective have been central to the club's approach ever since, as have the club's standards and values. While we immediately concluded that Mason should be suspended pending investigation, we were also conscious of our duty of care towards him and the importance of making a decision based on full information. Until February this year, this was a matter for the police and the Crown Prosecution Service. It was only when charges were dropped that the club discussed the allegations with Mason and others involved in the case.

Our investigation sought to collate as much evidence as possible to establish facts and context. This was not a quick or straightforward process for a variety of reasons. It was essential for us to respect the rights and wishes of the alleged victim. Also, we have limited powers of investigation which meant we were reliant on third party cooperation. Timings have also been influenced by my desire to minimise the impact of the investigation on our men's and women's teams, as well as our Lionesses. I acknowledge that this gave more time for speculation, but the alternative would have been to compromise due process or create untimely disruption.

While we were unable to access certain evidence for reasons we respect, the evidence we did collate led us to conclude that Mason did not commit the acts he was charged with. I am restricted as to what I can say for legal reasons, including the alleged victim's ongoing right to anonymity, but I am able to share the following with you which should give you some insight into the complexity of this case.

• The alleged victim requested the police to drop their investigation in April 2022.

We were provided with alternative explanations for the audio recording, which was a short excerpt from a much longer recording, and for the images posted online.

• The alleged victim's family participated in the process and were given the opportunity to review and correct our factual findings.

Last week the media reported that we had decided to reintegrate Mason and that elements of a plan to do so had been leaked to them. Reintegration was one of the outcomes we considered and planned for. For context, over the course of the past six months several outcomes have been contemplated and planned for, and my view has evolved as our process progressed. While the ultimate decision rested with me, I was taking various factors and views into account right up until the point of finalising my decision.

While I am satisfied that Mason did not commit the acts he was charged with, Mason's accepted that he has made mistakes which he takes responsibility for. I am also mindful of the challenge that Mason would face rebuilding his career and raising a baby together with his partner in the harsh spotlight of Manchester United. Further, this case has provoked strong opinions, and it is my responsibility to minimise any distraction to the unity we are seeking within the club.

Although we have decided that Mason will seek to rebuild his career away from Manchester United, that does not signal the end of this matter. The club will continue to offer its support both to the alleged victim and Mason to help them rebuild and move forward positively with their lives.

Thank you for your continued support.

----------------------------------------------

So basically by their own investigation he didn't do what he was accused of doing but that lady who does maths on the telly wants his head on pike so it must be done.

Advertisement