Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That's insane! If the competition is similarly priced, then I'll eat my hat and admit this is a serious bargain alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭djan

Seems a pretty good deal even without haggling the price down. Would be wary of the range for business purposes, especially given than load will have a large impact on it also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭positron

I was thinking the same. This would be handy for those who are being asked to return to office 1/2/3 days a week but you have move away to the countryside. Decent to one/two sleeps, and recharge while at work. I wish I had the spare cash and some DIY skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Electric vans are all mad expensive. 45k minimum most in the 50s zone. That's a solid deal for the right business use case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 teresa-villas

taken from this utube

• Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I think a lot of the price pressures that existed for passenger EVs are worse for vans

You've got the likes of Amazon buying up electric vans and not batting an eye at spending €20 million on a couple thousand vans

Then you've got the UK market at a big push for electric vans in London because of the ULEZ. No car company is going to sell vans for €30k here if they can get £40k in England

There's probably some anticipation of something similar here like congestion or emissions charges as well, which adds to the price pressure

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭fafy

These EV vans, are very interesting indeed, its niche, but these might suit, a 2nd car runabout, for couples.

I can’t think, of a 20 month old EV for 21k, and more than likely less, for those requiring a lot of practicality, in an EV.

Great find @celtic_oz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

How high do we go on the low price vs high mileage scale before we start getting nervous? 😄 9k Ioniq with 280km.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-ioniq-ev/35001618

Wow, just wow. He's not going to refuse €7,500, is he? That is a super bargain. I'd buy it no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

Gotta love a high mileage hero EV. Please somebody here buy it and take Unkel for a spin to find out how it has aged compared to when it was new.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,419 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Certainly gonna make anyone who's looking at any of these crazily priced Leafs think twice about pulling the trigger

Electric Cars For Sale in Clare, Galway, Limerick | DoneDeal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

How much depreciation is that for 6 years of motoring, and taxi mileage?

That car only cost a fraction per km total cost of ownership of what a similar size / price diesel would have cost ;-)

Very smart owners buying this car when they were going to do big miles.

With that much mileage on a cheap fuel car and limited maintenance?

Would you actually care?

That’s my point, it’s monster depreciation, but no less than an ice car with similar mileage, but with fuel savings over the past 6 years.

280k on a relatively lower range EV suggests it was a taxi. there’s a very low probability that this car did 45,000 every single year up and down motorways using 2017 public charging?

It's double the average normal person range. But by absolutely no means beyond a commuting vehicle doing 2 hour commute to and from daily weekly monthly.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,077 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Why did he take pictures outside of a dealership?

Could you buy it drive it for a few years and then strip the batteries to use as a huge solar storage and sell the rest for parts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭ltd440

I know the ioniq has a great battery /buffer but when do they start dropping range ?

Like I already said a couple of posts ago, Ioniqs were no taxis here as Hyundai refused to honour warranty for taxis.

Mileage works out to 186km per day (assuming driving 5 days a week)

Would and Ioniq do that reliably without fast charging?

The owner might have had a charger in work so they could avoid fast charging, and if it's free they'd save a ton of cash

Let's just say for giggles that the whole thing was done at 6c/kWh (I'm sort of averaging the night rate over the past few years)

Ioniq gets something like 12kWh/100km on average if I'm remembering correctly, so that's 33,600kWh over 6 years

Total cost about €2k for charging

Diesel car averaging 5l/100km and maybe €1.50/l over 280,000km would cost €21k 😳

So the fuel savings alone pay for the deprecation (assuming my math is correct, big assumption 🤣)

My brand new Ioniq cost me less in total cost of ownership over 3 years than the petrol worthless banger it replaced (which didn't need any maintenance apart from me changing oil myself etc.)

What would be people's guesses as to the maintenance cost difference for the Ioniq and the equivalent diesel?

Ioniq is probably on its third or fourth set of tyres by now, but other than that and pollen filters there wouldn't be much

So €200-300 per year average?

Diesel would presumably need oil change every year, new oil filters, adblue and probably at least one DPF filter change (and the new tyres on top)

I've no idea what that would cost having never owned a diesel, but I feel like you're looking around at least €500 per year?

This is all assuming you got a garage to do it

Are you joking? A diesel with 280k km? The list of things that will probably have gone wrong at that stage is too long to mention. It seems you have forgotten all the really expensive ones 😁

I was in Frank Keane's recently (free recall of my i3 and test driving i4 M50) and several people around me were presented with eye watering diesel bills. Diesels are a totally and utterly failed technology. On top of that giving cancer to and even killing millions of people. Our children and grand children will be disgusted we all let this happen, just to save a few bob in fuel.

For the same 5 years accumulation in single off big ticket items over that mileage arguably average 700-1000 per year maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

That ioniq is a great bargain. I love a high mile hero and if I weren't on the job hunt again (2 fintech layoffs in 2023!) I'd be all over it. At the moment most of my local miles are in my 2011 leaf24.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭User1998

Not taking anything away from the Ioniq, but I don’t think people realise how reliable diesels are for the first 5 years of their life when driven correctly.

You’d have absolutely no DPF or EGR issues at that mileage. Just regular oil and filter changes. And have people forgotten about manufacturers warranties?

All going good your still probably talking €350+ in maintenance per year, because of tyres and a possible timing belt and waterpump. And obviously high fuel costs too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

You could absolutely have DPF or EGR issues in the first 5 years. In fact, it happened repeatedly to a lot of folks who bought e60 520d for the cheap tax in 08-09 but used the cars around town. They arent covered by warranty either.

EVs are a whole nother level when it comes to maintenance. Ive done some miles in my leaf 24 thats 12 years old and I bought for 2.5k sight unseen from an auction. I havent spent a cent on it and nor do I foresee needing to. This from a guy who, before buying my first EV in 2016, was doing 50-60k a year in sub 2k auction diesels, running them on green/red diesel (or anything else I could find) to save money. So I know all about high mile cars and maintenance. Oil and filter changes at a main stealer (required - usually - to keep up the warranty) can run to 500 quid or more. Take your 5 years and that 2.5k pays for my leaf that doesnt need a yearly service. Do you see it now, it's another level. The only servicing needed on an EV is for consumables. Tires, suspension, pollen filter etc. Even brakes are used less so the pads and discs last longer. Hell I even got 100k km out of the original brake pads, discs and tires on my first leaf

Advertisement