Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Let's not kid ourselves into thinking anyone is actually ill.

Its that sort of 'nice guy' allowance that had most of these people look on appearing at PAC as a complete waste of their precious time and oh-so-far beneath them.

Cowards that take all they can from the public trough, yet look agast at being asked to explain their actions to the plebs.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,106 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Revenue seem to be slow enough to do so... it was a few years back when HMRC did that so it's not like they can feign ignorance.

But if a publisher engages an author for an 'exclusive' book deal, or newspaper signs a ex-footballer on a contract to write an 'exclusive' column for them, are they employees?

Must Patrick Kielty be an employee of RTE because he presents the LLS if RTE have a contract that he does not present any other similar shows for a competitor? Or engage in marketing activities that compete with LLS sponsors?

There could still be some grey areas.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭RoTelly

So we are now to believe that Kathryn Thomas is an RTÉ contractor, or was this part of her Radio contract? rather than Op Trans and other shows?

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 68,805 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If their ability to work at will elsewhere is constrained, yes, they are employees. That doesn't apply to an ex footballer writing a column but it could cover Kielty.

This is also rampant in IT, to try evade paying redundancy or doing TUPE when contracts change. Kids with FETAC certs being set up as professional contractors to answer phones in a support desk upwards. Leaves them with bog all rights and a much lower amount of PRSI being paid

• Registered Users Posts: 30,106 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

But the ex footballer is constrained - they cannot perform that service for a competitor. They can't write for The Times and The Guardian say.

And a management consultant may be called in to consult with a particular business, with a contract, and part of that contract would be not to advise competitors. They could advise companies in other sectors.

But you raise an interesting point, if RTE put this in place and put contractors in its scope - if\when Revenue look at this it may be 'ammo' to them being considered employees.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,805 ✭✭✭✭L1011

But they are not constrained in any other work. Whereas in the scenario quoted that started this back and forth, the presenter was completely constrained by having to get approval.

• Fair due to you for seeking that info. On the Liveline thread we would say TYFYS

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I would imagine she's "creatively" contracted to do X number of hours on radio and X number of hours on TV, or more likely "X number of hours across radio and/or TV". I'd also imagine she's guaranteed a minimum no. of hours and will be paid for those whether they have work for her or not, and will be handsomely paid on top of that if she goes 1 second over those allocated hours.

Thomas btw runs a boot camp/weightloss business on the side which I personally think is a rather enormous conflict of interest given her role on Operation Transformation. To the best of my knowledge - and I can find no evidence on the site or online - Thomas has no academic qualifications in this area, save for being the host of Operation Transformation. One would assume had she any qualifications in this area they would be listed on the site? Intriguing.

Amongst her specialties are "laughing" apparently:

I think she left out "all the way to the bank". I wonder was "lockdowns" added as a dislike before or after the cancellation of "Operation Covid Nation"? Intriguing.

You can go on one of their week long retreats in Portugal for "as little" as €2,099 for a single room (flights and transfers are NOT included) - sadly the weekend retreats appear to have finished for the year.

Full details here - get your credit cards ready:

It is however.....

They even have sponsors, but sponsor is probably a bad word, so they're called "partners" instead. I wonder how much it costs to become a partner?

You can even be a member for "just" €9.99 per month:

Benefits include an "intimate conversations" podcast.

Fools and their money.........

It will be very interesting to see how ventures like these fall under the new "conflict of interest" guidelines.

edited to correct a small typo.

Post edited by ButtersSuki on

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭TruthorBust

Tubridy had no qualifications to interview vulnerable people like Vicky Phelan, Barry McGuigan and Charlie Bird but he did it anyway and more than one interview for 2 of those people

He was visibly excited during those interviews which is very disturbing. I’d say his LLS team have stories to tell and hopefully we will hear them some day

His self inflicted demise is so delightful I’m still chuckling 😜😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

As Tow said, these are basically de facto RTÉ employees to begin with. Even if they were genuinely independent contractors, they are being paid out of public money so if RTÉ want to stipulate as part of their contract with the contractors that they have to declare vested interests I don't see a problem. The 'talent' are always free to go somewhere else if they have a problem with it, as we've been reminded constantly they're in high demand and need to be paid astronomical salaries to keep them. Just look at Tubridy and all the offers he's been getting since being let go...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I’m a bit like Kathryn, love travelling provided someone else is paying.

Theres a lot of us about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭hawley

The former Late Late Show presenter has reportedly been fielding offers from several different radio stations in Ireland and the United Kingdom after he and RTE parted ways. Ryan Tubridy has remained silent on where his career will be going after he and RTE parted ways.

The radio presenter has reportedly been fielding offers from different radio stations and attending meetings.

People have been guessing what Ryan would do next, with him joining either GB News or BBC as the favourites. A move to BBC radio seems to be the top bet at 2/1, after Ryan previously guest presented there.

Following reports that GB News made contact with him, bets are spiking that he could move to the UK channel with odds of 3/1. Virgin Media Television is reported to have not considered hiring Ryan, making those odds less likely at 7/1.BBC, Channel 4, ITV, Channel 5 and Sky News are also sparking interest with punters.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

This newspaper article sponsored by Paddy Power

Too many unnamed sources there to keep up with.

The BBC don’t want him. If they did, he’d have jumped ship long ago. He filled in for Graham Norton for a few shows years ago and hasn’t been back since - which in itself tells you all you need to know.

They already have numerous regional presenters who are far more talented and more deserving of an internal promotion than the broadcaster bypassing all of them and hiring not just a “foreigner”, but a disgraced foreigner.

He’s a complete unknown there. You have to remember Ireland has the population of Greater Manchester.

An unnamed source speaking on condition of anonymity tonight told me I have a much better chance of being hired by the BBC than Tubs has. I’m genuinely in London this week…..I can’t however confirm or deny if that trip is for meetings with top ITV and BBC bosses or not as I’m sworn to secrecy at this stage. Commercial sensitivity and all that.

Daithi and Kathryn were on the same Celebrity You're A Star in 2006, won by John Alderidge. A series most memorable for Sean Ban Breathnach being absolutely dire. That's the 17 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,074 ✭✭✭Jeff2

I need to catch up on posts but do RTE charge sponsors of shows again if the show is replayed.

Watching Mark Moriarty (was/is NK stable) cooking show earlier and it's sponsored by M@S foods.

Good cook he is btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭seanrambo87

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭seanrambo87

How tasteless, Richie Sadlier asking a bunch of kids "so what do you want to know about sex" cut to a woman "go hard or go home".

Cheap, cheap offerings.

Is Richie some sort of celebrity sex instructor now 😂

If you're pushy enough in this world..

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Orange-Coca-Cola

To the best of my knowledge - and I can find no evidence on the site or online - Thomas has no academic qualifications in this area, save for being the host of Operation Transformation. One would assume had she any qualifications in this area they would be listed on the site

If you are correct here, and I suspect you are, this is disgusting. Laws need to be reformed about the people on social media and~or people who are [re]presenting television programmes. If they are not qualified to comment on peoples health and fitness then they should not. I hope she gets sued and not because I have any opinion of her personally, as I do not, but because by doing that she is implying that she is as qualified as Dermot Bannon is to design houses purely because she presents a TV show. But unlike Bannons show where opinion being subjective is not relevant or dangerous, it could very well be the case on her retreat.

I would be interested to know how many of those retreats she turns up to, or is just suggesting she knows the best program in Portugal that unfit people should go on, that coincidentally have extreme pricing across the board? Perfect for a 65 year old with a heart condition, or more suited for a 38 year old that is slightly overweight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

While a good summary, his appearance didn’t contribute to his downfall - sure he was back before he messed up with his last statement.

I would disagree. The appearances exposed his true colours to many who prior to this thought he was some sort of cross between Santa Claus and a saint. He showed himself to be a self-centred ego maniac, a fraud, greedy, duplicitous, and a liar (amongst other things).

I even omitted his complete apportioning of any and all blame in this entirely to RTE, which undoubtedly upset and annoyed many in the broadcaster.

To say none of this damaged him or ultimately contributed to his downfall is essentially saying you feel his appearances helped his cause. They weren’t the sole reason for his demise, but they certainly didn’t help. But crucially it was the first time for many/most “regular people” that they saw Tubridy’s mask slip and they got to see him “off brand”

You are of course entitled to your opinion, but I hold a differing one on this.

Post edited by ButtersSuki on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭stevejr

You're being very short-sighted there.

Tubridy and his agent demonstrably lied to an Oireachtas Committee representing the people of Ireland.

His PAC appearance was the beginning of his end.

There will be a reckoning for this, over and above the immense reputational damage he inflicted on himself that day.

What's the reason for being reasonable?

Is that an unreasonable question?

On the specific issue of qualifications related to fitness/weight loss etc., I have searched exhaustively and cannot find anything. I find this very odd as normally people engaged in these areas proudly discuss their qualifications in their bios - KT specializes in laughing. 🤷‍♂️

You can just imagine a certain cohort thinking because she hosts that show that she’s an expert in the area. It’s obviously partially on them if they don’t do their own research but to keep this is a really cynical exploitation of a group of people for financial gain, and a massive conflict of interest.

On a broader level, there’s a lot more to KT than meets the eye. Her public persona is every bit as fake as Tubridy’s. If you know, you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I don't know, but now my interest is piqued.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I met Thomas years ago when she was doing No Frontiers. You think someone travelling the world and getting paid for it would be happy, but no, a miserable dose. Could be point in time, could have had something else going on that day etc, but just cold, and negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭csirl

RT isnt going to the BBC. Have a friend who works in radio in UK - ex-BBC. Said that people were less than impressed by him during his fill in stint. As a LLS presenter they thought they were getting an experienced/skilled broadcaster, but he wasnt up to scratch. Audiences turned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭RoTelly

She hosted the Grip also 😂 That's what Ryle Nugent experience is in Broadcast sports 😂 Poor Jason Sherlock and Sarah O'Flaherty only got the Pepsi Chart Show on TV3!

AFAIR Lorraine Keane hosted a motoring show because she was AA Roadwatch.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭RunningFlyer

Quite possible her or RTE attitude. A good friend worked in reception at a 5-star hotel and had the pleasure of meeting her checking in one day. Friend is not Irish so had no clue who she was, so she seemed really bemused when she wasn't offered a complimentary upgrade. Didn't quite pull the "Do you know who I am?" card but hung around long enough asking about other room options for the Irish manager to appear and subsequently upgrade her FOC. It's definitely just an attitude issue in Montrose, hopefully all these scandals will bring the talent back to earth a bit!

• Advertisement

I’m in London today.

I’ve been asked by my agent to keep the nature of my business here today and tomorrow suitably vague for reasons of commercial sensitivity, but I will say I’m considering many options. Intriguing!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement