Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No New Contract For Vera Pauw

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Spiderpig92

Amazing really - I think back to 1988 and the differences of opinions between Jack Charlton and Liam Brady. Brady left out of Euros squad (partially suspended for the tournament yes) and his International Career effectively over. This despite a backdrop of support calling for his inclusion. Jack goes on to lead Ireland to their most successful ever period despite not Qualifying from a group containing two top 10 sides.

Fast forward 35 years and a visible split between Vera Pauw and Katie McCabe. Ireland go out at the group stage despite competing I would argue as well as could be expected against two top 10 teams and the top African side - in reality a couple of strokes of fortune could easily have swung those matches back towards parity.

Pauw has lost her job and not given the opportunity to build like Jack was. A sliding doors moment no doubt...

No doubt there were other issues in the build up to the competition that do not need to be discussed but interesting to draw the parallels.

Wouldn't it be fantastic for an Irish team to go to a major event and not become embroiled in controversary - I haven't even mentioned Saipan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,113 ✭✭✭threeball

This is exactly the point. If this was a men's team and you were told you were a lard arse you'd have to accept it and do something about it. The women will bitch and moan about it despite the fact they are supposed to be professional sports people and being fit is fundamental to being able to carry out their job effectively. There seems to be a lot of drama around this team with some being in personal relationships etc. or ex partners and that in itself creates little cliques and divisions within a group. Any coach worth their salt should give this bunch a wide berth as its pretty clear there's more drama than talent on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭micks_address

i don't think Pauw will be to upset - back in 21 she was hesitant to sign a new contract due to the age of her partner and wanting to spend time at home enjoying life.. doubt it be the way any manager wanted to leave all the same..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

no, ranking make you the best, look at this world cup, you have the 5 best teams on one side of the draw and only one of them can get to semi final

whoever makes it to the final from that side will end up banjaxed and could lose

the ranking system isn't flawless given the split North South but its the best method currently

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭brokenbad

Looks like player power played a part in forcing her out.....Katie McCabe is a petulant brat and no doubt her spat with Pauw after the final world cup game raised eyebrows in the FAI. That coupled with the weight shaming allegations against Pauw did her no favours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TokTik

Rugby truly is a global game. :rolleyes: What are there, 6 decent teams now??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,488 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I’m not sure that decent teams is the only metric, there is another WC starting in just over a week so you can gauge global interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,250 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 25,317 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Gets the team to a World Cup… FAI…. Get rid…. FAI ffs…😒 nothing changes….

fat shaming ? Nonsense , it’s not, no such thing in a professional sporting environment . If a player(s) doesn’t meet the fitness criteria, that’s their responsibility, unless injured it’s their fault….players have access to first class physios, trainers, dieticians, doctors… can afford gym memberships, in person assistance and or equipment at home…they in addition will train with clubs, national team… im going to be losing my shît if I’m over any professional sports team, male, female and a player arrives up to training out of condition , of course all the eejit fûcks… ‘ohhhh fat shaming!’….. ‘ ohhh think of their mental health ‘…. ‘ ohhh that’s so unfair ‘

pointing out to a professional athlete that they are not being responsible and not keeping fit enough ain’t fat shaming…. These are all adults, they all signed up to play for Ireland, it’s not compulsory. If your personality doesn’t enable you to handle criticism, retire… what next ? ‘performance shaming’ ? Ohhh that player had a bad game but ‘schhhh’

put your hand up to be selected, the honour and responsibility of playing for Ireland, you need to do your bit…by arriving in shape, not letting your country, teammates and manager down.

Imagine, being picked to play for Ireland and on arrival being overweight and unfit…. No excuse for it…

It was more like if Mick McCarthy went to the 2002 WC and then gave Robbie Keane, our best change of a goal, 20 mins in the group stages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Completely over hyped bunch of egos will never qualify for another tournament!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

What is a good metric? Professional rugby might be on a high in Ireland but partly this is due to its demise in other countries , not to disparage the good work done here

Oz Wales and England are basket cases

You have world cup viewing figures which I'd always take with a grain of salt

It's the top sport in maybe 1 country

If Ireland are competing you know it's niche

She encouraged the player to lose so much weight that she was physically unable to play the game anymore.

How would Man City/Bayern react if Pep/Tuchel forced Haaland/Kane to lose so much weight they had to retire?? Stop talking nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

“Vera would just tell (the player) constantly she was too big, too slow. I saw the shift of her going to the gym after training every single day,” said one former player in the article.

“Throughout the year… she was losing so much weight,” said another player.

“And Vera would praise her… ‘you look so good, you look so fit’. But it was getting to a point where it was not healthy.

"She ended up having to quit soccer because she couldn’t play anymore and Vera would not listen.”

Players thinking that they can turn up late to training. Because they are a big name and not expect a dressing down is also not on.

The attitude of the squad will be a problem for the next manager as well and the one after that.

Just to be clear, the metric you are using on rugby being a global game, is how good the national team is at any one time?

Personally the metric I would use is whether there is interest in countries on each continent, and whether it is becoming more popular. I don’t think there is any doubt that it isn’t as popular as soccer, or athletics, but few are.

Look at her bullying of 16yo Tyler Toland in Ireland for another glimpse of her “management” style.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭pgj2015

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Hopefully. It was a hard watch most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Madd Finn

Er, Actually two teams from that side of the draw WILL get to the semifinal. Very probably two of the best five teams in the world although that is not mathematically certain.

What IS certain that at least three of the top five ranked teams in the world WON'T make it to a semi final. But there's every chance that the final itself will be contested between two of the top four ranked teams in the world. Or even the top two.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭TruthEnforcer

Well if she was an "Ex-Player", she would have been aware we BEAT Scotland in the Play-off to get to the World Cup and they were Ranked ahead of Ireland at the time, and in the most recent Rankings are 1 place higher than Ireland !

On top of that, the World Cup Seedings gave us an "Easy Group" .. is she havin' a laugh ...who is that Ex-Player Kidding ? .. did she see Nigeria (Supposedly the 4th. Seeds in the Group) they Drew with Canada, Beat Australia (Finalists), should have beaten Ireland, and should have Beaten England (Semi-Finalists) ..

I think the Team is full of similar Prima-Donna, who have tasted a touch of 'success' and think they are Barcelona !!!

Never heard of her, but apparently her father harassed and tried to intimidate Pauw after she dropped her. Imagine Pep’s, or Gareth Southgate’s response if the father of a player phoned to give out about his son being dropped.

I’m beginning to sense a hint of misogyny in your posts, are you trying to say she should be judged lesser than a manager of a men’s team? If this was a 16 yr old being dropped by Stephen Kenny, would there be an issue, or would it be ok for the father to try and intimidate Kenny? This is the women’s senior international team, if they want to be treated equally, then you should not think that they are weaker and deserve to be treated differently, players get dropped, they don’t like it, such is life in elite team sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭griffin100

The ex player was Méabh De Búrca, who has 52 Irish caps. I’m only repeating what I heard. And no one said the group in the world cup was easy, she referred to the qualifying group before we got to the finals as being easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Augme

“But the fear in their eyes made me convinced that we had to discuss this and we had to take action.”

She was pretty much done after she said that after the friendly against Columbia. How you can day that publicly and expect to retain the respect of your players is beyond me. I think her own ego got the better of her and she thought she was loved so much that she could say anything, no matter how ridiculous it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

There is something very off about this squad, like the Irish Women's Rugby side, I can't quite put my finger on it. There is something off about the group dynamic...the players have too much to say having achieved very little.

To walk off a pitch after 20 mins in a pre tournament friendly was an extraordinary act, there was clearly an unhealthy dynamic going on, how does a team and manager decide to stop playing a match that's only 20 mins old, who instigated that walk off, did they all agree simultaneously?

I think it may have to do with the completely lobsided media exposure / actual standard of game on offer. It's gone to a lot of heads, add in an unhealthy dressing room dynamic on top of that and you end up with a s##t show.

The Irish women's hockey team got all the way to a World Cup final in 2018 and their behaviour on and off the field was exemplary. I could never understand why that sport wasn't given more exposure/funds in an attempt to grow their numbers afterward given our culture's near obsession with hyping up women's sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Augme

But she didn't want to confront it, she wanted the game to be abandoned. She said that the players were in so much fear the game needed to be stopped.

Secondly, the context of what is saying is different too. But none the less, Pep didn't step-in to get the game abandoned because he felt they were so scared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭Field east

Have not read any of the posts before I type this so apologies if it is a repeat. So unless there is more to it - and of a serious nature -than is in the public domain , I think it is a discrase that Pau’s contract was not renewed. Why?

(1) because of the teams success in reaching the World Cup finals and did very well in it. With a little luck the team could have gone somewhat further i it

(2) the Americans say that they would prefer to hire one one that has made the proverbial 100 mistakes rather than employing someone that has made no mistake. Pau is a professional and would learn from any mistakes/ judgement errors made anywhere - INCLUDING in AUSTRALIA.

(3) the old proverb - ‘do’nt change something that is working’/ ‘do’nt change a winning team’

(4) were a significant No of the team blindly influenced by K Mc who had a very public spat with Pau during the match Re making demands that some players should be taken off - a very bad character trait if that what happened. If players have a problem with the manager it should be kept within the dressing room . Remember when some very good players were making demands On Brian Cody at around the time that Kilkenny started it’s good run he SHOWED THEM THE DOOR. Maybe instead of the Soccer board sweating whether or not to review Paul’s contract , it should have spent time discussing reprimands of those players who ‘ behaved badly’ Jonny Sexton got his knuckles wrapped for something he said and it was not even during the match

Advertisement