Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right to see child

Options
  • 30-08-2023 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7 Maddie2k18

My brother died 12 years ago and he had a 11 months child now she is 12, and the mother of the child never lets me see the child on my own or any of the rest of my family. The mother of the child keeps ignoring my Texts Has she the right to stop me to see my niece any time I want.

Post edited by HildaOgdenx on
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭HazeDoll

If somebody, relative or not, was demanding to spend time alone with a child I think any parent would do anything they could to make sure it doesn't happen.

Would you be insisting on a right to see the child on your own if your brother was still alive?

You're an aunt. In some families that is a very close relationship but in lots of families aunts are very peripheral figures in a child's life. The child's mother has made her view clear. Think about what the effects might be if you make a fuss about this and try to force the issue.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Mod - Moved to Legal Discussion where it is more suited.

Hilda

• Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

You have no rights in respect of that child

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

She’s the only guardian of the child . She and she alone decides who her child will be in company with.

I would advise you to write to the mother of your niece. Apologise for any stress you may have caused her. Ask her if you can send your niece a present/birthday card whatever. Tell her you would like to have a relationship of some kind with her but you accept that it would, of course, be on her terms.

If she ignores you or refuses your request then you must accept that.

If I were you I would continue to buy her little things. And you can date them etc and when she’s old enough to decide independently who she can have a relationship with, she might agree to meet you and you can give them to her.

• I don’t think the OP was even asking letalone demanding to be alone with them. What they meant (my own inference) is the child’s mother won’t allow them or their family either by herself or with them.

OP needs to consider what kind of relationship the family had with her brothers wife/partner because if it was not strong to begin with it’s no wonder albeit I understand why you’d be upset.

There’s nothing in the way of aunt/uncle rights to see a child but pestering the mother is not going to get you anywhere.

my main concern would be how would your niece feel? It might be rather upsetting having you appear from no where after so long. I think trying to force the issue will only make things worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭suvigirl

OP, have you had any contact with the child since her father died?

do your family have any kind of relationship with the child's mother?

you need to try to get along with her and see if he can work something out because, in law, you have no rights here.

try to get along with the child's mother

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Simple answer - yes, she has the right, and you have none.

Advertisement