Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭jimmythesulk

This is up their in ridiculousness with some of your conspiracies from last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Why? Do you not think it demeans a competition that was run successfully for years by counties not putting their best teams forward.Well the KK teams were not happy with the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭The Birchfield Boy

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Rebelside

If Corks ‘second’ team got to the Forrestal final they can’t have been too bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Rebelside

And some of the best Cork & Tipp players were absent due to tragedies in the respective counties. Hardly ‘demeaning’ now, is it?

• Advertisement

I didn’t mention Tipperary.why would they pull out of their own competition only for that tragedy at the weekend. And the same for Cork 1 in the Tony Forristal due to that swimming tragedy I was talking about the other grades.Now Birchfield boy is it wrong and give me a reason why you think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Some crazy scores (hammerings) at Minor level!?! Are these teams in the correct grade ??

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Village87

We have an outstanding minor team this year, and still missing one or two very good players. We would beat most teams by 20+ points the exception of 1 or 2

Was similar last year in County final ... Same teams , same hammering....

Yee must be growing those big lads in peat moss! !! 😲 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭dzer2

County board git A all wrong anyway. Should only be 6 teams in it 3 town teams Comer Thomas Town and Young Irelands. All the rest are B at best some C. One or 2 of C should be in B. Clara was made up mostly of under 15s while Martins are nearly all up to age

• Advertisement

One lad on here was complaining about Hurling in September and October. After Monday there will only be 4 A teams Hurling. A lot of young lads won't see the Hurling pitch again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

There's an A shield competition for losers of the first round.

The Gowran and Callan teams above are their second teams. It's underage hurling, there's always going to be hammerings.

Its impossible to draw the grades "fairly". The most efficient way to do it in my opinion is play the league as is with 12 teams in each grade as Division 1, 2, 3 etc and then redraw the competitions for championship with top 8 of Div 1 in A, bottom 4 plus top 4 in Div 2 league in B etc

Shield comps for losers of championship 1st round. 11 league games and guaranteed 2 championship games. Can't ask for more than that.

The addition of a shield competition for losers of the 1st round this year is great.

Won't work all bar 3 in A looking to be in the bottom 4. Same with B Roinn C will always be a disaster with the town teams competing against rural teams using all the available players to have a team.

Barrow rangers would have a high urban population in Paulstown with probably 5 new housing estates with 50 plus houses in each estate.

Back to the development squads competition at the weekend. Cork A, Limerick A, and Galway A , U16 played one another in challenge games. This is no conspiracy theory and I stand by what I said about demeaning the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Are you saying they had a mini- tournament just amongst themselves?

Most new housing estates are full of people from outside the county with no interest in playing hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Village87

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭KK36

Good old Tullaroan at it again with the grading. In Minor C when they could win B. If there was a Roinn x they'd look to get into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭The Birchfield Boy

Poor devil doesn't know what he/she/they are saying so what hope have the rest of us. 🤦

• Advertisement

The housing estates in these small towns are Celtic tiger products probably 15 to 20 years old so the local gaa clubs have development well underway, or should have and so what if young players or their families come from outside the country. That statement was bordering or implying racism. I was called out for less and abused for stating facts.

Hey lad your letting yourself down now. I am from a rural club and there are many new neighbours in the area very few if any have their children playing gaa. I know Paulstown fairly well and many people there both new and long standing I stand by what I said the housing estates are adding very little to the club. It's nearly the same all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Generalising from my own experience here, but In my experience the new communities are very enthusiastic about sending their kids along when they are in the younger age groups but hurling is such a technical game that unless a kid is out pucking with his dad or neighbours and is actively encouraged to play and spend the time at it as they are growing, ultimately these kids will tend to not develop as much and tend to quit the game early. So that's why soccer clubs can hang onto these kids for longer (their parents and peers are out there kicking soccer with them)and why when it gets to u13 and u15 in hurling the names you generally hear on the pitch are Conor, Sean and Ryan as opposed to Kryztov, Pawel and Mohammed. Those new communities kids who make it through despite these difficulties must be extremely driven and talented. Maybe with the new generation of GDOs being appointed by clubs around the place can harness and encourage these players to keep at it as it would be great to see more of them coming through and distinguishing themselves in our national game.

Dzer2 when the population is their then it’s up to the clubs to entice the kids to play. Now I know what your saying about background tradition but surely pucking around the ball on the green is virtually gone anyway. Everything has to be organised for kids now anyway. You wouldn’t see too many groups of kids pucking around on their own. One last thing do you not see the improvement in Barrow rangers underage set up in the last few years, wasn’t there four representatives on the development squad teams I’d suggest that is massive improvement.

Were the mentors of those squads from B Rangers ??

😜

Dunno that one put it is still progress from a club that was struggling for years.

Really the national school’s aren’t doing the work for the GAA ike they used to so the slack has to be taken up by the local club, everyone is not going to go to the club so the club has to go to them, it’s not simple but that has to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭kk.man

Agreed, in the past it was a prerequisite for the next local principal to have a hurling background or at least one of the staff. I'm not saying it was entirely a good thing either because what he/she had on the pitch didn't always transfer to the academic side. But parents didn't care as long as matches were won. The same ones would pay for grinds just to get by the Junior Cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭conor05

The best young hurlers in our club are still the lads who are at home pucking around with their brothers/sisters/fathers/mams/uncles in their garden every night.

You can tell a mile away the kids who have hurling parents at home, it’s become second nature to them from all the wee 20 minute puck abouts here and there at home.

1 or 2 hours of organised training a week is not going to make you a hurler.

• Advertisement

Ritchie Hogans retirement from intercounty just announced....

Advertisement