Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 horseireland

Hi everyone

How does this look?

7.5KWp ground mounted photovoltaic solar system with a Eddie These systems are made up of the following:

18 No 415 watt photovoltaic solar panels,

18 number ground mounted solar bins,

1 No 5KWp Hybrid inverter,

1 No fire switch / shut switch,

1 No 25am RCBO,

All necessary AC & DC switch's and cabling for the full installation,

Doing paperwork for the ESB Networks and the SEAI grant department,

The price for the full supply, installation and commissioning of the above system's is €11,690 after the SEAI grant.

The house for the inverter and if installed battery is €399 plus vat.

For the supply, installation and commissioning of a 5.8KWh SolaX Triple-power battery storage is €3,345,

• Registered Users Posts: 38 horseireland

Hi there

Post edited by horseireland on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Mr Q

• Registered Users Posts: 12 __Alex

I would ask for the difference between the Jinko panels.

For instance, in term of look, some are "all black" some aren't.

You can also check some of the specs here: https://www.jinkosolar.com/en/site/dwparametern (product warranty, linear power warranty, % annual degradation, % performance drop the 1st year, etc.).

Also, Solis inverters usually have a recommended max PV power of 8 kW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

We use under the national average for our house. But we still got the largest system 1) roof could take 2) budget allowed. I'd suggest the same for people. Get paid ~20c FIT for every 1kWh of unused power.

Plus homes will be using more electricity in time. EVs, heating, cooking if still on gas...

Our very low usage EV uses about 1500kWh a year. Gives you a benchmark if you got one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭murfler

Yes makes sense but I would worry about the 15 year warranty for the 18×470 vs 25 year warranty on the 18×430 panels.

Also as comment above mentions the inverter only 8kw max..

Although EAst/west split would prob make it unlikely I would ever be generating the 8.47 kw with the 470s set up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

You will in high summer. In May-July when the sun is at noon, it's like overhead at 70deg from the horizontal plane. So it could be beating down on both roofs pretty hard around lunchtime. Course the slope of the roof matters a little, but I could see you getting 80-90% of your Kwp for a few hours in that part of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Anyone else wonder about these 25 year warranties?

Will the company still be around in 20 years, will they want you to ship the panel back etc.

How much would they even be worth in 20 years the way the tech is going??

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

According to whats coming out of US at the moment, they are saying MAX 7 years on any electrical item, so be aware, where they lead, everyone follows. My Fridgedaire from 1962 still works (ok not effeciently) but love to see a modern fridge try to outlast it.

Make them break, and you have to replace with new

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,719 ✭✭✭deezell

East West loss calculations during peak radiation conditions.

Midsummer sun angle over Dublin is 60°, E-W panels are effectively horizontal in their N_S direction, and have an effective area of Sin(60°) of their actual Area, or 86.6% . if East and West panels are on a roof pitch of 30° from the horizontal, reduction in area at midday is Cos30, also 86.6%, so peak effective area is 86.6% squared, or 75%. Your panels therefore are only at 75% of their output at midday. As the sun traverses E-W, the E panel will peak when sun is -30°east to midday, with an effective area of 86.6%, the W panel will be 60° off perpendicular to the sun, with an effective area of Cos60, =.5 or 50%. Multiply that by the N-S reduction to 86.6%, meaning W panels will be down to an effective area of 43.3%, both sides of the roof combining to give an average of about 65%, when 30° either side of midday. This span is 4 hours , with the combined panels area going from 65% at 2hrs to midday to 75% midday to 65% 2 hours after. As the solar radiation here at midday on midsummer with a totally clear sky would be at best 1000w/m2 fully perpendicular to the sun, these angular reductions will make it highly unlikely that a typical jinko 2.170 m2 panel with 20.5% efficiency will ever produce more than 330w at midday, 75% of it rated max of 440w. The combined E and W will average at most 286w/panel in optimal conditions, two hours either side of midday.These angular losses are of course true of all panels placements as they can be only briefly perpendicular to the sun depending on time and date. Oversizing is really the best method of achieving more useful output levels, as most panels will be on fractional output for most of their existence. In short, don't sweat it, but don't expect absolute peak output, even briefly, with E-W install, as it just can't happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

Wow, that's some post and very informative for 3.07 in the morning...

I think the max output I've seen from my 4.2kwp system is 3.8-3.9 kW on the best of days.

Thanks everyone for your knowledgeable responses.

I'm still undecided as it seems conflicting opinion.

I'm all for oversizing and the 470s not being all black does not bother me much.

As stated the only thing bothering me is the warranty. 10 years is a lot, I'm wondering why the manufacturer is offering 10 years less on the 470s?

I actually have terrible insomnia of late. I can't get my head around retirement and idleness. I made the mistake of having a mug of tea after watching the Rangers thrashing by PSV, then glanced at a post about E--W losses.....

Appliance life spans are directly related to high temperature and high voltage, and inverters have both in spades. Batteries at the mercy of heavy discharge cycles and temperature also. I can't see anyone getting a free drop in inverter including labour if yours fails irreparably after 5 or 6 years, manufacturer warranty notwithstanding. Perhaps they'll fix it or swap it if you get it removed and reinstalled. The installer who supplied it has no liability beyond statutory 1-2 years, and the EU fit for purpose extension.

Having said that, I've 5 years on a Sony TV, and I invoked it for a replacement after one and half, no quibble replacement by Sony Ireland, not Power City. Nesspresso collected, repaired and returned a coffee machine 1 year and 10 months into a two year warranty, and loaned me a replacement. Should have refused the replacement and got more sleep.

Best one, IKEA offered me an alternative kitchen mixer tap 8 years into a ten year warranty, original was out of production and IKEA had no replacement cartridges. They had no suitable low pressure mixers either as a swap. I tracked down the Hungarian company who still made the rare size cartridges and offered to buy one, they posted one out free. My faith is definitely good in manufacturers, but beware where you buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Magilla Gorilla

Hi all.

Brand new to this, so please be gentle!

Got my first quote today. I'd like to get any comments from the experts and please feel free to point out any gaps/issues so I can revert to the supplier.

Panels will need to be east/west on garage roof (house is facing SSW but three large dormers and two chimneys make it messy). Garage is not shaded by the house. I've no problem with this as I've read east/west can sometimes make more sense in terms of typical morning/evening usage patters. Inverter and battery to go in garage with all additional works included (ducting/cable back to house etc.).

Annual usage is 5,000 in 2022/23 (7,000 in 2021-2022 as two electric showers, only one now).

16. no JINKO 435W FULLBLACKPV-TIGERNEON-TYPE

Tile roof installation with Van De Vaulk Fittings

Huawei SUN2000-5KTL-L1 Smart Inverter

MyEnergi Eddi (Hot water diverter)

Huawei remote monitoring system

Post works BER assessment(Needed for SEAI grant)

Test/commission/certify to SEAI/SAFE ELECTRIC standard

1 €9,250.00 €9,250.00

Huawei LUNA2000-5-EO Battery

Huawei LUNA2000-5KW-C0 BMS

1 €3,250.00 €3,250.00

Subtotal €12,500.00

SEAI Grant -€2,400.00

0% €0.00

Total €10,100.00

Total €10,100.00

€3250 for the battery and BMS Is not too large a mark up on the drop price of the equipment, given it has to be lugged in, installed and configured. I doubt though you'll get this €325/annum return over ten years from a 5Kw system on E-W, at best you might timeshift 4 usable kwh on some days, for half the year, which would be worth significantly less than €325, and especially if the cost of electricity finally drops below 30c/unit or less which is well overdue. Buying 5.5 kwh of cheap nightrate to get maybe 4.5kwh usable after efficiency losses, will possibly save you 50c/day at current prices, but may tie up your battery a bit until the fridge or something consumes it and frees the battery for daytime solar storage.

€6850 after grant for the solar only with the Mr Eddie, the talking horse immersion switch and the BER is not bad, could be a little less if you buy a non hybrid inverter, though the Huawei as a hybrid requires batteries with their own management system, such as the Luna plus BMS, or LG Resu modular batteries

It's always possible to add an on grid AC battery system later, independent of the original inverter, these may become more feasible and popular when battery tech and costs fall. Meantime, IMO you'd be better off with FIT rebate for your excess solar.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

The EnnisKillen contractors are not currently on SEAI list of registered installers. They say it’s a problem with the website. SEAI say all registered installers are listed on the website.

Anyone thinking of going with them I’d say iron that out first.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,170 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

They discount the grant payment from the total amount and wait for the SEAI to pay them so I don't see why it would be in their interest to lie about being a registered installer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

Someone in SEAI has clearly edited the website to remove them from the list.

SEAI told me in via email that all registered installers are on the website.

It may be a temporary situation but that’s all I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭kmb

Hi All,

I am kind of of clueless with this and I would welcome your input.

Hose is east -west with an 25-30 degree pitch.

Quoted €10k before grants.

Thanks.

Equipment & Labour

12 Jinko 430w N Type Panels 5kw

Sofar Hybrid Inverter

Van Der Valk Mounting

AC and DC cabling and isolators Suitable 25 amp 'B' type RCBO protection

Full label kit to identify all parts

Full installation of roof mounted PV system including all necessary roofing and electrical infrastructure

All performance testing and commissioning of PV system

• Registered Users Posts: 6,406 ✭✭✭con747

I was on to the owner earlier and he's aware that for some reason the list has them excluded but he was on to them and it should be sorted tomorrow and there is nothing to be worrying about.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

so 7600 after grant, not the very best for a basic panel system, try to get them to throw in the BER cost at least, or a couple more panels?.. what size is the Sofar inverter?

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

I sent him a message last night, and he said the same. There's a few counties missing off the SEAI list. Should be sorted shortly.

I would go as far as to say that anyone on here who has used them, would have no problem believing what he says.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Suffering Jbox

I received this quote for 400 watt solar - 10 panels

Hybrid inverter, hot water diverter = €8,000 less grant €2,400 = €5,600.

My yearly usage is 1,500. Is it worth my while?

many thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Suffering Jbox

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭kmb

Hi JKForde,

It is a 5kw Sofar Hybrid Inverter.

Where is the best place to get alternative quotes for the Cork area?

Sorry guys as I'm sure this has been covered already somewhere on this forum but I'm in the process of accepting a quote.

Quote includes a 3.6-5kw solis Hybrid Inverter.

Maybe this is a silly question but is this a 3.6kwh hour inverter or 5kwh?

My system is 8.14 KW?

Is the Solis Iverter OK with that?

E/W set up with a 5KW battery

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,406 ✭✭✭con747

It's either a 3.6 or a 5, with that system you need the 5. You will probably still get clipping in the best days of generation though.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

So you’re only spending 1000 euro per year on electricity? That’s units + standing charge? Is this right?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement