Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

I don't know why you are getting annoyed. I'm agreeing with you. Crowley plays tough. Real tough. For Keeps.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

To Byrne's credit (Ross's, that is), he likely would have made a far more dominant hit on Crowley there.

He made a couple of solid shots in the Samoa game, tbf.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Cos he had no support. That's on other players, not Crowley. If he runs across the pitch to get to support, Leinster drift and the overlap is gone.

Funnily enough, the thing he does here - carry and straighten - is exactly the type of thing he's significantly better at than RB.

Mod: This is trolling, Venjur. Post more constructively.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I feel like we might as well just play off 9 rather than have Casey scurry about throwing quick balls for Byrne to shovel on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

Every post you make falls into the latter so no-one better to identify the same.

Standing by for the next heady mixture of conspiratorial nonsense about Healy and Kleyn and the big-bad IRFU.

Are you secretly Over The Hill Prop?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Dear Lord! blessed are the poor in spirit…

Crowley might well be Irelands saviour at this WC

Just enjoy if it comes to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭theVersatile

I've been meaning to rewatch the Samoa game actually, because funny enough my initial reaction was the opposite re Byrne's tackalling. Thought we was flailing at people really but willing to watch a second time before committing to that opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I wonder if that was part of their thinking when they played Murray-Crowley against Samoa...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

He made some perhaps uncharacteristic strong carries on the goal line too. Mad stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Different players, same old sh*te. Opposing fans completely flipping their opinions on a player's style and what they bring to the game depending on what colour jersey they wear at provincial level.

They're both really good players who bring different things to the table. One is more naturally gifted physically, the other appears to be more reliable in the less tangible elements such as decision making or direction of those around him.

I think the RWC is probably a fraction to early for Crowley in terms of what the coaches are going to go with. I'd expect him to nudge ahead thereafter but it still isn't as clear cut as one would hope. Nor do I even think it's so clear cut that another outhalf wouldn't be able to make a claim on the Irish 10 jersey in the next 12 months. Neither of them are going to be in a conversation as a top level test outhalf any time soon. I doubt either would start for any other top tier nation as first choice right now. Byrne is far too static and lacks athleticism of any real note both in attack and defence. Crowley yields possession too often and can be patchy in his goal kicking.

I would imagine Byrne is going to be the preferred starter if Sexton is unavailable based on the comments we've heard from camp and the year to date. His ability to orchestrate things around him is just a fraction higher at this point. He directs things quite smoothly in multi phase play and is very aware of what is around him. It was evident in our tries against England particularly the Lowe try. It isn't eye catching but it's effective. It creates gaps around the field that can be exposed. It's not hugely dissimilar to Sexton (now that he offers little enough running threat too) in terms of pulling strings but obviously not at that level.

On the flip side, I'd worry about him against a rush defence. He simply doesn't have the agility or speed to sit closer to the line. With his style, if we get caught, we get caught 5-10m behind the ruck. England showed early on that we can be caught that way and have always managed to trouble us with that style. If he's on against SA, our pack will need to have a huge game in the collisions as we can't be getting back foot ball.

Crowley is better equipped to face that type of defensive line. His mobility can help him get out of trouble as well as allowing him to take the ball on himself. When he's playing confidently, he's a of real benefit. He has a very nice arcing running threat outside the opposition 10/12 channel when the 12 is drifting. But he needs to be more judicious in how he uses his carrying ability. If it's getting nailed and recycling, so be it rather than becoming isolated or having the ball dislodged against a big defender.

Goal kicking could be the point of difference for the key decision. I don't think anyone would be surprised to see a game come down to a kick or two so we'll need every point on offer. In that respect, Byrne has the edge. Generally, he's an 85% kicker whilst Crowley is probably more in the 70-75% bracket (URC site says 68% but I'm fairly sure that's out of date).

With that said, I'd almost expect Crowley to be in the 22 jersey. Historically, we select a centre at 23. The presence of Carbery facilitated that given his ability to play 15. Crowley has a similar ability and has featured there a couple of times in the last few weeks which I don't think is a coincidence. It will allow us that level of flexibility. If Byrne was 22, we'd be in something of a pickle if Keenan or Lowe were to be injured.

Overall, given the level of churn we've had in the back up jersey over the last 3 years, I wouldn't be surprised for either or neither to be our first choice 10 two years from now but they've every opportunity to grab it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Agreed having Byrne at 22 would be a risk positionally. Crowley is not ready to start a 1/4 final but I think it would be prudent to start him v Tonga.

Sexton goes down. Start Byrne

I haven't seen the game in full yet, but to my mind, it's tyically an area of strength of RB's game. And Crowley's too. And I think it's likely what got Carbery the chop. RB and Crowley are streets ahead of him in that regard.

Different players, same old sh*te. Opposing fans completely flipping their opinions on a player's style and what they bring to the game depending on what colour jersey they wear at provincial level.

Exactly and it's tiresome.

Otherwise I fully agree with your post. Byrne is the % option and has been since he came into camp. He's your Oakland A's in 2002, highly consistent and efficient in how he plays - but not definitely good enough to win you play offs. If the pack is humming and we're getting quick ball he'll move us around the park effectively enough - but he won't change the game if we're not on top.

I think Crowley is a better 10 for Munster than he is for Ireland and a lot of the disagreement stems from the fact that the Irish pack / team just aren't as familiar with him, so non Munster supporters don't see him in the same light. Crowley has to learn to adapt to Ireland's shape and structure in attack but the same is true of the rest of the team to his quirks and eccentricities. That's the challenge of playing with a creative attacking 10, you need to be clued into their intentions and the Ireland team aren't there to the same extent that Munster are.

I suspect if the pack were largely Munster players Ross Byrne would struggle in the same way Crowley hasn't quite looked comfortable for Ireland yet.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

He put in a great hit on Steward at one point in the England game. He's well able for the physical stuff. His problem is and always will be mobility.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭blackcard

Looking at the age profile of the Irish team, this will probably be the last World Cup for 20 of the 33 man panel. Having said that, you wouldn't have expected Sexton to make this World Cup.

Amongst those who could make the next WC are Sheehan, Kelleher, Ryan, McCarthy, Doris, Baird, Casey, Crowley, O'Toole, Byrne, Ringrose, DeFlier and Keenan

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Buer, this isn't a new discussion, the Byrne v Crowley discussion has been happening since Carbery got dumped out of the Irish squad. I disagree with your analysis. Crowley was given his first start against Australia at the very last second when Sexton pulled out and he performed well in that game when you consider the circumstances (and the very poor performance from JGP that day)

Byrne came on, threw one intercept and kicked one penalty, and suddenly, he was lauded as the successor to Sexton for the 6 nations by the media.

Now we're in the eve of the RWC, Byrne and Crowley had contrasting ends to the club season with one adding huge credit, showing huge leadership by leading his team to victory in an unprecedented run of must win games away from home, with the other showing that he couldn't take responsibility and either take a penalty to win the game, or set up a drop goal in the end of the Heineken cup final.

You said Crowley can be ropey off the tee. This is a few weeks after Byrne missed 75% of his kicks against England and Crowley came on and drained a sideline conversion (not to mention the high pressure kicks he made throughout the year)

Crowley can do nothing more to prove himself at club level, He's performed very well at underage, and in the A games and 'emerging Ireland' tour, and it's time to give him the reigns in the RWC with the full team behind him.

After the RWC, I can guarantee you that the Leinster supporters will pivot from Ross Byrne to the next available Leinster player (take your pick from Harry Byrne, Frawley, Sam Prendergast, Charley Tector... next man up...)

The people saying Crowley is not ready today, will be happy to give Frawley the reigns for the next 6 Nations instantly forgetting that you claimed Crowley isn't ready International duty. (and if Frawley isn't ready, it'll be Sam Prendergast or Harry Byrne 2.0)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭OldRio

The sooner this World Cup starts the better.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Crowley can do nothing more to prove himself at club level

The man has started a total of 19 games for Munster. Of course there is more he can do to prove himself at club level. That's just a silly hyperbolic statement.

He's also obviously not going to get the reigns with he full team behind him at the RWC cause Sexton will.

Byrne came on, threw one intercept and kicked one penalty, and suddenly, he was lauded as the successor to Sexton for the 6 nations by the media.

The media don't pick the team, and Farrell obviously had him as 22 during the 6N for a reason. Of course there is also a reason he had him completely out of squads for several years. I think there is a decent chance Crowley and Byrne will have flipped roles for the upcoming matches, but only time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Frawley won't have the reins for the 6nations.

Crowley is clearly trending in the right direction with regards his Ireland performances tho. The Italy game in particular, he was very good and brought a lot of structure to the attack.

We've seen plenty of times during AI's vs the Tier 2 nations that can be difficult with a scratch side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Yep agreed, but that doesn’t fit the narrative of the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Good point. Rugby in particular is a systems game and throwing players together never works as well as it should do on paper. Media doesn’t seem to take that into account. Those Ireland Wolfhound games used to be a great example.

Frawley will be in a fight with HB and Prendergast to get the reins of Leinster during international periods, and he'll probably lose it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

You've simply reduced it to the parochialism again. Viewing solely the positive aspects of one candidate and the negative aspects of the other isn't going to provide a worthwhile assessment of the situation

It's difficult to have a rational discussion on the topic when people are more concerned about which province a player represents (or, as importantly it seems, which province the alternative option represents) than the actual merits of the candidates.

It's largely academic (hopefully) given Sexton's return. If Sexton is unavailable and Crowley gets the nod, then great. He's earned it. Same with RB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

I think Crowley will be number 1 outhalf by the Scotland game.

He has started 2 of the warm up games and came on in the 3rd. He has performed better in the last 6 months than Ross with an inferior team around him.

Unfortunately this world cup is at least 12 months too late for Sexton. Personally I can't see sexton staying fit no matter how the irish team manage him. He's just too old.

Didn't he even have to sit out 2 training sessions last week when he is not even playing matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

This definitely isn’t provincially driven at all. Noooooo. Responds to a post that analyses both players strengths and weaknesses in an objective and fair manner with a “mine is better than yours” predictable response. It’s so boring at this stage.

Byrne manages a game better than Crowley does. That’s not even a sleight on Crowley. He’s young and still very inexperienced at this level.

Crowley is a far better athlete than Byrne. That is a sleight on Byrne because, unlike Crowley, that’s a criticism that he can’t fix.

Yet somehow I’m sure you’ll make this about me crapping on a Munster player and loving a Leinster one. Because you can’t be anything other than provincial about it.

This place, I swear to God…..

• Advertisement

Sexton started all three matches in NZ. Sexton started 4/5 matches in the 6N. The first NZ test aside, he generally plays 70+ minutes also.

He's old and he gets more niggles than he used to. But his lack of availability is vastly overestimated by many. You'd swear the 6N GS Ireland just cruised to was 2 years ago, not 5 months ago.

Advertisement