Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭John arse

Strange that alright - coincidence or maybe something more sinister. Get Joe Duffy on to it?🧐

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭msmx5

Same here - was with BG for Gas and Elec for last 12 months with 40% off both - derisory discounts offered for renewal mid Aug so signed up to Waterpower for Elec and BWG Gas rate with Flogas around 23rd Aug - got the SEPA letter just waiting for welcome pack etc.

Have regularly checked BG account since for better rates and expected a call from retention team - no call so far and no offer at all in online account. Seems they don't want to retain me.Final bills have not yet been issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Tried, doesn't work. ESBN will indeed install a smart meter for me for free, but they will install my D / N meter with a smart meter that can do D / N. Not a single one of those has been installed in Ireland yet. ESBN will start the rollout in the middle of next month and I'm on the priority list. So I could possibly get it at the end of next month. Or it might take over a year. Not waiting for that.

But thanks for the suggestion!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

My take from all of it is that DN will become more and more hidden.

It will never, completely "go away" but the party line is to move people to smart tariffs.

There will be people that refuse the smart meter, places a smart meter won't work (due to signal for instance), seen an article there is a % where the smart meter doesn't fit ( think cupboard under stairs and zero free space)

These people still need a electric supplier, it could become a case where maybe only electric Ireland and/or Bord gais (as they are suppliers of last resort)

DN is likely to become less and less competitive, as we are already seeing happening. Deemed fit will end soon (we are likely priority as we have solar)

I have also noticed that Energia have also a 24hr smart tariff like EI.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Say by some miracle I actually get one of the new D/N smart meters what will my options be regarding electricity plans? That's what I want to know, will it be D/N only or what? This is all very frustrating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

I cant understand how they are getting away with this. Its beyond ridiculous at this stage. You ring these guys up and your told to check out website. You find the website doesn't have comprehensive list of plans or very poor offers. Some websites have a live chat option which is next to useless in many cases and in the end advise to call customer services

When you call the companies, it seems to be completely random whether you are offerred the best deal. Now we find that a random door to door agent can offer better deals than all other options. Its like the wild west at this stage. How the hell is this a reasonable way to treat customers. Begs the question what is the point of a regulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭legend99

Hi,

Would someone mind telling me if the Flogas welcome pack is sent by email or traditional post? And how quickly should it arrive? Signed up for dual CP 3 weeks ago and weirdly only seemed to get electricity notification from Flogas, no gas, but did get a final bill from current supplier for both fuels so am a bit bewildered.....

Does one ring - or is that a no-no...?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

From what I can see now, you will be backed into a corner. You will only be able to stay with your existing supplier, as no other will provide a switching option, and you will be stuck to whatever rates they choose to offer you.

So yes, that's why I have bailed out, have a regular Smart Meter install tomorrow afternoon.

Pinergy 0.05c here I come 😁

Switching takes ages, always has, and the two will not switch at the same time. Relax, it's in hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭lau1247

You can call to check things, so long as you didn't call to ask about switching you're grand (Wouldn't work now anyway since those cheap plans are no longer available). I did it for my uncle last week when I help him signed up to Flogas two weeks prior. Just call them and say you want to check if the switch went through correctly because you didn't get any confirmation. They will tell you once you give them the GPRN number. You can casually ask them to confirm the rate too after that for your peace of mind.

Interestingly the gas for my uncle switched first before electric. The lady said gas is usually quicker. Maybe that is a standard response for whichever that came first, just say that it is quicker than the other.

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Advertisement

Don't you have the option to change back to 24hr smart meter (At a cost)??

I recall there was something about first meter request for switch out is free (This does not include them doing the change from normal 24hr meter to 24hr smart meter). Typically the switch out is going from 24hr to D&N meter. Then only subsequent change out will incur a charge to change - example going from D&N back to 24hr.

It may make it worth while to get D&N for now and if it does back you into a corner in future, pay ESBN to get it change to 24hr. If it never comes, then happy days. You just need to work out the rough numbers I supposed (The potential amount saved versus extra charge to change out meter in future).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭wassie

Tenure: 1 year this year

Renewal date: Sept 27th

Discount offered: 39% Elec only

Holding out to see what happens over Sept.

Any one with BG elec only been offered 44% discount for renewal?

Just reading back through the thread, it seems to only have been offered to dual renewals, where as elec only max discount seems to be 40%.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Did anyone with BG get any notification of the new offers?

Not specifically, but they do send periodical reminders to check your account after the first email 45 days before you are due for renewal.

I only got the 1 after the initial email.

Now getting 39 as well -what I'm on atm- up from 16 originally.

Just to rule it out, do you have direct debit payment and paperless billing? Seems to be one of the criteria from the screenshot of my previous post

No, not for the higher discount, only became aware of it when someone mentioned it here to log into the account online. I did get renewal notices but not at those higher rates

• Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭bren2001

If you get a D/N smart meter. You can get D/N rates from any supplier. They all currently offer them. Despite the email above, that ain't changing anytime soon.

They work for ToU tariffs as well.

I've both those & didn't get the 5 increase like you think might be happening. Ones worth 3 & the other 2 can't remember which now.

In that post you mention a cap on it, I don't think it'd increase year after year. Just the 5% as long as your with them, EI had something similar

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Correct. EI free day (Sat or Sun) is 8 am to 11 pm which is much better.

BG don't appear to, can't see it when searching as new customer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Surely other companies are compelled to give you a price when you enter your mprn which will show you've a D/N meter? Not to say they will bury these rates somewhere in the site. It just doesn't make sense that they'd go to the bother of installing these meters for suppliers not to give plans to suit them.

Good luck with Pinergy.... Make sure you've plenty in the ole bank account as they're taking the guts of a grand whether you use it or not, knowing them it won't stop there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Has anyone on the BG OBS 33% off deal been offered a higher discount to renew? My one year deal ends on September 26th and they have matched the 33% so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

I'm with Bord Gais, the OBS deal, and contract is up on the 26th of September. Being offered 38% for both gas and electricity. No sign of any night rate though as I have a day/night meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭tx_tx

Same here. OBS contract up 5 October.

Happy with that as well, that's a much better offer than the Flogas fixed rates, given that they're lower standing charges, and already same-ish unit prices, but that's before the upcoming standard rate reductions.

For now it's only for existing BGE customers, but that gives an idea of what's coming in the energy market.

Yes I have both - the same requirements for the 39% discount I had last year so no change in effect. These discounts being offered would already include that 5%.

The max discount noted so far for BG elec only renewal seems to be 40% based on posts to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

Energia retention team phoned me this morning and offered 20% discount on variable rate effectively about the same as flogas now but standing charge is 110 less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

we are with them since we moved house in July, it was preinstalled, didnt have a clue! we said we'd stick with them for a few months and see, (as I always liked the idea of not getting monster bills every 2 months!) so far they're not too bad, unless Im missing something completely. standing charge is €410 per year I think, which is high, and we're on a 60% off from 7-11pm which is about .18cent per unit, neither of us are home much during the day really so so far its working ok, we'll see as the months go on though!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭tx_tx

I'm on D/N as well, and even though the "discounts explained" only gives 24Hrs, I see it as an example.

The page also says "33% Discount on our standard electricity prices", and obviously I seem to be able to sign up for it, and having a D/N meter I couldn't get a 24Hrs plan.

I think it's just that the page could be clearer, but ring them if in doubt.

Advertisement